Audi TT (New Wheels page 12)

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So with not being happy with the car in general i stuck about getting into it and getting it ready stripped the interior out of it and air, and made like 1 days progress and it sat for month untouched, partly due to work, and partly due to still not having much interest,

With the Stormont Classic and Vintage show coming up, as we were invited as part of our Audi TT Northern Ireland club to have a stand it would be a shame to not make it, and miss the possble chance of getting a few pics outside Stormont its self. Managed to clean the car and thrown together enough to make it up, few issues that morning i nearly didnt make it but *touchwood* they have rectified themselves since
52196322028_a003f574db_c.jpg

52196322008_c7e670bdf3_c.jpg

After the show headed round to the new Acess road beside the H&W too
52196794780_13d9ba9d19_c.jpg

Following day was the Autobits cars and coffee, and as its litterally 5mins from my unit i couldnt not attend
52195299287_28351db847_c.jpg

After this i decided enough was enough and time to get my arse into gear and start rectifying the car to a level i was happy with showing it, rather than attending all these events and annoying myselfs and ranting about how im not happy with it, typically as i said this to myself, work took over and had been flat out ever since! but thankfully was able to "book" some time in with myself and refuse to take on any other work those days.

So as i found out my new smaller sub, and boot build option was no better! actually worse, as attending MLVW previously my boot was full with my camera bag and cleaning stuff and no extra room, were before i could carry that as well as a bag of luggage when away in england etc. so in the process of returning to the previous build (with maybe a slight twist)

Next on the list was the paint work, the old ceramic coating was starting to wear off, concidering it was past its "lifetime" and how it gets "washed" at some shows i dont think it did to badly. but a few areas needed a little TLC and decided now is a good time to get a nice fresh ceramic coating on it, This time going with a 8 year self healing coating hopefully help hide some swirls from those dodgy show wipe downs, sadly no process photos, But heres a photo from Eurotreffen were you can definatly see the orange flake in the paint popping some more! And thankfully after seeing the paint gleaming again i felt the joy coming back in the car/scene/interest so will hopefully start making progress again.
52196324416_5bdabc6717_c.jpg

Few more at the show
52196308066_120c5abd3b_c.jpg

52195299127_b5f723cca4_c.jpg

52195299177_28347a3278_c.jpg

Picked up a Top20 Prize
52196321968_82c5f8ef32_c.jpg

Then back on stage for a cool pic
52195299207_75584a08a5_c.jpg

While getting myself geared up to make a start on it i applied for various shows, here in Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland, England & Scotland, to try give my self a goal to aim for. Still waiting on some to reply/announce etc

Rollhard X Bicester heritage Show In August
52195299172_acb7593383_c.jpg

Over the moon to be accepted for what looks to be a class show, looking forward to the trip over! Staying in coventry the friday night, the moving on to Bicester Satuarday ready for the Show Sunday, intend to hit some of the motor museums etc, as well as Caffine and Machine again (though hopefully the TT makes it this year and not the daily like last year!)

Also this month im for OldSchool, NewSchool in longford, had also applied for Fitteduk in Manchester again but have decided not to attend due to costs atm, Bicester as above, and in September been accepted for an Indoor spot at Cleanfest in Edinburgh which i love attending as its a "home" show for me.

Over the coming weeks intend to get the interior finished off and ready to go, sadly havent had a chance to look at the carbon headlights again, though thinking will leave them now on the back burner till winter comes round again and then hopefully have them ready for next year. Have been playing with a few interior bits also which ill likely leave till next year also, A) give me a chance to get the technique, B) no half jobs/rushed jobs having it ready for show, as atm ive basically 2 weekends free between now and Cleanfest in September and C) something"new" for next years season

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So Found time get stuck back into the TT again and get the boot build finished (pic further down)

Just intime for the sunny weather i decided to head to Cork/Watergrasshill For VAGE show.
52236608670_a70d4338a2_c.jpg

52235140077_ce4c847885_c.jpg

52236400609_f0010954a8_c.jpg

Came home with another Top 10 Trophy
52236119756_e79f3ae3d6_c.jpg

Next on the list i attended Old School New School in Longford, another cracking sunny day.
52236132918_771af813b5_c.jpg

52236608440_ab58622a82_c.jpg

52235139842_a3ca9110ca_c.jpg

52236119596_92d571daac_c.jpg

52235139832_ea052b9e36_c.jpg

Next on the list is SoLow Show by Letstance on 7th August, and then Rollhard Show in Bicester the following week, few minor things to sort before then and a service.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So first on the list i attended Supercar Sunday with the TT, haddnt planed to take the TT but seeing as a show and shine advertised and it was good weather i thought might as well bring it up. Arrived on the gate and told to park inthe paddock, said i was here for the show & shine and pointed to the show area, and they directed me over to the paddock once again, so i obliged
52295502557_40a9bf37ed_c.jpg

52296488566_875dfee728_c.jpg

Then next i knew i was out on track
52295515307_e5678bf21d_c.jpg

52296765324_4469317bdc_c.jpg

52296504323_ff2f0cf47f_c.jpg

As much as id loved to have drove the hell out of it, the Tyres on the show wheels arent a decent tyre as they came on the wheels when i bought them and used them to test "fitment" with the intention of fitting better rubber down the line.......just the line hasnt came that far yet! lol. Though if id known id be on track id have had the OZ Superleggera wheels bolted back on with the Grippy Hankook Tyres, Though with a 1k mile trip looming i still didnt want to risk blowing the car up or damaging it and risk canceling another trip this year (like last year) and having to take the daily to England, but definatly suprised me and something ill look into more next year is doing a few track days and having fun, as getting a bit tired of the shows.

Next on the List was Letstance SoLow show
52296492343_728b06d8d3_c.jpg

52295502302_618459a3b9_c.jpg

52296753029_5ddca5636d_c.jpg

Now it was time for the biggy! Rollhard Bicester Hertiage
Stopped off in coventry for the first night before heading to Bicester, then stopped at the British Motor Museum, then couldnt resist a stop off at Diddly Squat
52296488771_5ea6187e8d_c.jpg

52296978255_45828fcea5_c.jpg

Headed onto to my hotel in Bicester before heading back to Caffeine and Machine to meet up with a few Friends, And also bumped into a Spanish friend with his TT there who had came over for the Rollhard Show also
52295502762_96150c0718_c.jpg

52296488736_50920d7474_c.jpg

Next day was the show Rollhard! (Show photos for anyone interested over on Facebook, should be viewable without facebook also - Facebook Album)
52296527803_383a36088f_c.jpg

52295502707_4831f0ddfd_c.jpg

52295502597_2fe31c6724_c.jpg

52295502632_4aeca1819c_c.jpg

(Some pics were after the show i pulled over to take a few nice photos before leaving the site)

Unreal show, Completely mindblown with the cars there! and the location, cracking weather that weekend also with the car reading 38.5 at one stage! Back to caffeine and machine after but didnt take any photos.

Got up monday morning and checked out and decided to head a more sceneic route back to Holyhead for the boat!
52295502507_3f22d397b0_c.jpg

52296492318_1c13be1830_c.jpg

52296977945_973bc51999_c.jpg

52296978270_7f7158fd6c_c.jpg

52295502367_f8c7dc234d_c.jpg

First few photos are apparently a spot were Evo magazine and Top gear would go for filming/photographs, some lovely roads and scenery sadly ruined by Average Speed cameras

Then the manditory Boat photo!
52295502777_eb38ea8c45_c.jpg

EpIc 4 day trip away arriving back home early hours of tuesday morning. Wednesday woke up and went over to wash the car ready for a photoshoot with a photographer later that evening, few mile from the unit, the dash died out, i paniced thinking the car died and swung it into the hardsholder....shortly after realising....the car was still running, so assumed the dash had just died or blown a fuse and carried on out to the unit. Arrived at the unit opened up and pulled the side pannel off to get access to fuses etc. went inside to get the fuses ready to check them , to come back to be greated with smoke bellowing out the dash, and fuse box! quickly grabbed the bonnet latch and pulled the battery then went back to try pull out the currently melting fuses in the fuse box! Thankfully the smoke sizzled out and stopped!

Sadly qute a bit of the wiring loom had melted as was part of the fuse box, and the car now not starting after isolating the damaged areas, the car would just turn over but wouldnt start, on the occassion it did, it would die instantly!.....its not looking good at this point... :broken_heart:

Went out for a few hours today, and worked on it a bit see what the excent of the damage was, the fuse that seemd to be the cause was the fuse for the instrument pannel, and after reading online, also the Oil Sensor in the sump? random mix i thought..... managed to dive into the car and got the dash clocks firing up, and instantly came on was the Oil Sensor warning on the dash.... so could be correct! Also able to get the car started now without too much issues! though everything is temporarily bypassed/installed etc to test, i intend to pull the oil sensor tomorrow and get a look at it!, hopefully it was he cause of everything and will get a new one in asap! ive isolated what wires are visually damaged etc, and parts on order to repair the fuse box and loom so fingers crossed it will live on!

The car was Accepeted into the LZ Festival show but obviously i decided to pull out of it, though the following week i have Cleanfest in Scotland booked and Accepted for indoors! which means alot for me to get to it as its a home show for me, So atm the car is still booked for it! if not ill make the trip in the A4 and spectate! i had initially planned to leave the car to the side and not bother about it, as i plan on giving the shows a bit of a break too next year, but the car is my safe place/ my happy place! and having had a rough few months, and constant kicks atm! i need the car even just to know its fine sitting in the garage would help, rather than going out and see it sitting unknown if it will ever be back out or not will just depress me more, so fingers crossed next weekend ill know more!

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
So first on the list i attended Supercar Sunday with the TT, haddnt planed to take the TT but seeing as a show and shine advertised and it was good weather i thought might as well bring it up. Arrived on the gate and told to park inthe paddock, said i was here for the show & shine and pointed to the show area, and they directed me over to the paddock once again, so i obliged
52295502557_40a9bf37ed_c.jpg

52296488566_875dfee728_c.jpg

Then next i knew i was out on track
52295515307_e5678bf21d_c.jpg

52296765324_4469317bdc_c.jpg

52296504323_ff2f0cf47f_c.jpg

As much as id loved to have drove the hell out of it, the Tyres on the show wheels arent a decent tyre as they came on the wheels when i bought them and used them to test "fitment" with the intention of fitting better rubber down the line.......just the line hasnt came that far yet! lol. Though if id known id be on track id have had the OZ Superleggera wheels bolted back on with the Grippy Hankook Tyres, Though with a 1k mile trip looming i still didnt want to risk blowing the car up or damaging it and risk canceling another trip this year (like last year) and having to take the daily to England, but definatly suprised me and something ill look into more next year is doing a few track days and having fun, as getting a bit tired of the shows.

Next on the List was Letstance SoLow show
52296492343_728b06d8d3_c.jpg

52295502302_618459a3b9_c.jpg

52296753029_5ddca5636d_c.jpg

Now it was time for the biggy! Rollhard Bicester Hertiage
Stopped off in coventry for the first night before heading to Bicester, then stopped at the British Motor Museum, then couldnt resist a stop off at Diddly Squat
52296488771_5ea6187e8d_c.jpg

52296978255_45828fcea5_c.jpg

Headed onto to my hotel in Bicester before heading back to Caffeine and Machine to meet up with a few Friends, And also bumped into a Spanish friend with his TT there who had came over for the Rollhard Show also
52295502762_96150c0718_c.jpg

52296488736_50920d7474_c.jpg

Next day was the show Rollhard! (Show photos for anyone interested over on Facebook, should be viewable without facebook also - Facebook Album)
52296527803_383a36088f_c.jpg

52295502707_4831f0ddfd_c.jpg

52295502597_2fe31c6724_c.jpg

52295502632_4aeca1819c_c.jpg

(Some pics were after the show i pulled over to take a few nice photos before leaving the site)

Unreal show, Completely mindblown with the cars there! and the location, cracking weather that weekend also with the car reading 38.5 at one stage! Back to caffeine and machine after but didnt take any photos.

Got up monday morning and checked out and decided to head a more sceneic route back to Holyhead for the boat!
52295502507_3f22d397b0_c.jpg

52296492318_1c13be1830_c.jpg

52296977945_973bc51999_c.jpg

52296978270_7f7158fd6c_c.jpg

52295502367_f8c7dc234d_c.jpg

First few photos are apparently a spot were Evo magazine and Top gear would go for filming/photographs, some lovely roads and scenery sadly ruined by Average Speed cameras

Then the manditory Boat photo!
52295502777_eb38ea8c45_c.jpg

EpIc 4 day trip away arriving back home early hours of tuesday morning. Wednesday woke up and went over to wash the car ready for a photoshoot with a photographer later that evening, few mile from the unit, the dash died out, i paniced thinking the car died and swung it into the hardsholder....shortly after realising....the car was still running, so assumed the dash had just died or blown a fuse and carried on out to the unit. Arrived at the unit opened up and pulled the side pannel off to get access to fuses etc. went inside to get the fuses ready to check them , to come back to be greated with smoke bellowing out the dash, and fuse box! quickly grabbed the bonnet latch and pulled the battery then went back to try pull out the currently melting fuses in the fuse box! Thankfully the smoke sizzled out and stopped!

Sadly qute a bit of the wiring loom had melted as was part of the fuse box, and the car now not starting after isolating the damaged areas, the car would just turn over but wouldnt start, on the occassion it did, it would die instantly!.....its not looking good at this point... :broken_heart:

Went out for a few hours today, and worked on it a bit see what the excent of the damage was, the fuse that seemd to be the cause was the fuse for the instrument pannel, and after reading online, also the Oil Sensor in the sump? random mix i thought..... managed to dive into the car and got the dash clocks firing up, and instantly came on was the Oil Sensor warning on the dash.... so could be correct! Also able to get the car started now without too much issues! though everything is temporarily bypassed/installed etc to test, i intend to pull the oil sensor tomorrow and get a look at it!, hopefully it was he cause of everything and will get a new one in asap! ive isolated what wires are visually damaged etc, and parts on order to repair the fuse box and loom so fingers crossed it will live on!

The car was Accepeted into the LZ Festival show but obviously i decided to pull out of it, though the following week i have Cleanfest in Scotland booked and Accepted for indoors! which means alot for me to get to it as its a home show for me, So atm the car is still booked for it! if not ill make the trip in the A4 and spectate! i had initially planned to leave the car to the side and not bother about it, as i plan on giving the shows a bit of a break too next year, but the car is my safe place/ my happy place! and having had a rough few months, and constant kicks atm! i need the car even just to know its fine sitting in the garage would help, rather than going out and see it sitting unknown if it will ever be back out or not will just depress me more, so fingers crossed next weekend ill know more!
Sounds like the car knew you needed something to distract you. Sorry to hear about the issues but hope you get them sorted, lot of time, money and passion here.

c_rad

RMS Regular
I remember when you first bought this car, has come on a massive journey with you and hopefully it's a handy enough fix. It's one of the nicest cars on here and the work that has gone in to it is incredible tbh.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Cars looking great James!

At least the wiring stopped melting when it did. Hopefully a simple enough fix once you get into it!

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So too follow on, I pulled the the wiring for the oil sensor and a pile of oil in the wiring/connections. So seeing this i quickly jumped on and ordered the replacement loom parts, and a new oil sensor, as well as a replacement driveshaft as i had destoryed the outer CV boot this time (as well as the inner) so i thought 10 years of constant inner CV boots splitting and what not it was probably due a new joint rather than the boot, thinking if the parts come quickly and get it replaced i could just mkae it to Cleanfest in Scotland!

52346128099_c8c202e7e9_c.jpg

Last weekend before heading to LZ Festival on the Sunday, i tore into the car and got everything swapped over replaced the interior damaged wiring and repined fuse box etc, and cleaned all the wiring and what not new oil sensor, started the car thinking it was sorted...... in my haste i didnt check over the bay wiring enough and turns out it had also been damaged! so quickly ordered a section of loom in the hope id get it sharpish before the postal strike this week and still maybe able to attend Cleanfest this weekend. Monday, i headed out and went to fit the drive shaft and realised the new bolts i had ordered was the correct fitment and length etc, but wasnt the Multi point spline tool the orignals had and was a different fitting, so was about to pick up some new tools, and bust my self getting the car done between work. but after knock back and knock back i though life was telling me not to take it!, as i was really cutting it fine! So left the car as is for now, and took it easy, and settled to still head to Scotland but in the daily A4, which was just as well as the replacement wiring only arrived this afternoon, which id have had no chance to fit and test it enough id be happy to take it on the boat in the morning.

And also the more i thought about it id rather replace more than the piece that arrived due to potential damages further up seeing as were all had been damage its highly possible so plan to replace the loom completely! which sadly replacing the loom isnt straight forward, and runs up the back of the engine and between the engine and transferbox/gearbox etc, meaning little access, and from the top it drops in and around the turbo etc, and also has a bracket bolted to the back of the engine which cant be removed with out stripping a pile other stuff out the way, joys of a big engine and 4wd in a small car.... So for now the TTs season is over. Once i get time ill take a plan of action of what i need to do to replace the loom etc, if it would be easier taking the engine out, or possible to leave it in etc, and if it easier to come out do a few jobs while im there! new belt etc, and possibly a few other "tweeks" and "future proofing", I had planned to take a break from alot of shows next year and Spectate more and focus on other things in life, but still hit the odd show, but not have the constant worry and pressure/stress of having the car sitting mint every weekend (which is for me not so much looking good for others, id have to have it sitting perfect or id not be happy! which is not ideal given my mental health!) but currently thinking it might be down for the year, time i get everything sorted etc and a few other various bits buttoned up and sorted. But the car WILL return! and hopefully be even more epic than it was!

Those roads are class. We drove them one night home from UD in convoy and it was a great experience.
Yeah they are a great road! will be going that route again in future!

I remember when you first bought this car, has come on a massive journey with you and hopefully it's a handy enough fix. It's one of the nicest cars on here and the work that has gone in to it is incredible tbh.
Cheers mate! yeah has came along way from the start! and various stages/looks over the years! So much for buying it initially to stop modifiying cars :joy:

Cars looking great James!

At least the wiring stopped melting when it did. Hopefully a simple enough fix once you get into it!
Cheers! yeah i was lucky it stopped melting, and also didnt happen the previous journey as it could have potentially happend somewhere en route back from Rollhard across the water! if id been sitting in traffic on the motorway in England, and saw smoke i dont think id have reacted as quickly to remove the battery etc. not to mention the bill getting the car home!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Crazy to think what could have happened if you didn’t react so quickly to it!

It’s such a cool car but sometimes you need a break from them. Enjoy the season from a different perspective and then when you have the car sorted you will enjoy it all over again.

With me buying other cars and enjoying them I hadn’t really used or looked to much at the Porsche for a few years. Threw the head up and sold them all with the intention of using the Porsche more and I’ve done about 5k in it this year and loving every second of it, so a break is good when you have owned something a long time

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Crazy to think what could have happened if you didn’t react so quickly to it!

It’s such a cool car but sometimes you need a break from them. Enjoy the season from a different perspective and then when you have the car sorted you will enjoy it all over again.

With me buying other cars and enjoying them I hadn’t really used or looked to much at the Porsche for a few years. Threw the head up and sold them all with the intention of using the Porsche more and I’ve done about 5k in it this year and loving every second of it, so a break is good when you have owned something a long time

Yeah crazy to think how lucky it was, and how easy it happened!

Yeah early on in the year I decided time to take a break, see this year out, and maybe buy another project for next year, nothing too crazy just something different to have a bit of fun with, TTs a bit serious to have "fun/stupid" with I don't want to do something for fun/laugh and regret it down the line (example being the Tron wrap I had for coolnights, loved it but pulled lacquer off), though the thought of another money pit concerned me, and opted to make look into my other hobbies I've neglected so for the short term will see what happens, I'd settled with running the a4 for a year or 2 if it comes to it, while I sort the TT but then drove a mates tuned golf gti the other day, making me want back into a fun petrol already :joy:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So.......Dubshed 2023
52803468832_ccbc7eb40c_c.jpg

So much for taking a break! So rewind a few months i had left it that the car would return some day, when ever it was ready, weather it would have been Dubshed 2023, Or dubshed 2024 or some show inbetween. Though after a friend insisting i apply for dubshed and the car needed to be there! i thought sure why not! if its ready atleast ill have applied (and possibly got in) and if its not ready well i can pass on my spot/not show at it. Id been buying parts now and again across winter, but letting the stuff sit on the shelve, until i found the need to get stuck in, once applying for dubshed the interest started to increase, then when the Acceptance email landed, it was all hands on deck!

Prior to Christmas i had went to book the A4 Mot a few months in advance and realised they were already booking as far as March so booked one for the TT while i was at it! which was the Monday before Dubshed....i didnt know if that was going to be a good thing or not,

So first to be addressed was the engine bay loom, heres one part that i pulled from the car! other parts basically had disintergrated,
52804026736_4635054563_c.jpg

Due to the tight tollerances of the gaps and routing, and the loom being built on the engine in the factory prior to install, it was looking like an engine out job, and me being me im a "while your in there" job type of person, the list started to spiral, id been on about getting the engine rebuilt and larger turbo, as well as tidying the bay etc, soon totaling up to a 10-15k bill, a few years ago id not have thought twice and headed down that route, but were i am in life atm i didnt want to spend that much right now! so after looking at other options the answer was to build the loom on the engine. so ordered various rolls of OE spec wiring and colours, various connection blocks and heat protection etc. i set about building the loom, After many evenings and squeezing my fingers in gaps to try route the wiring...the car Started with no Issues! plugged the computer in and 0 Faults to report! Sucesss! Sadly no photos but you can imagine tight gaps looks and laying under the car while on axel stands,

So another "while im in there job!" i had the intake piping all out and battery etc which fully exposed the top of the gearbox, Ordered my self up an Adjustable Short Shifter. Set up 2/3s of the way, and really happy with the shortness of it!
52804476833_0b56c9756a_c.jpg

52804280359_dd6a2df1b5_c.jpg

A common issue with Lowered mk4 Platform cars is the generally eat the passenger inner CV boot, one job on my MOT to do list every year is a new boot! Though this time round id also destroyed the Outer one as well, and for the last 11 years id been basically changing the CV boots and adding more grease! and carrying on for another while so decided this year ill treat it to a new Axel, and some new OEM Bolts and Shims, I intend to rebuild my old shaft and basically swap them out as and when the boot splits, then just keep one rebuilt on the shelve to cut back on down time, not that its a big job just a messy one!
52803469087_49db2f4e81_c.jpg

52803469232_c6b817a9b9_c.jpg

Also with being so low, i completely destroyed my Middle Resonator from my BCS PowerValve system! not only had i made the Round Cylinder flat on the bottom and tore 2 holes in it, every time it got forced up it had hit the driveshaft/propshaft back to the rear, the exhaust system had alwas hung quite low, and has suffered alot of damage though had planned to get it booked into get sorted but they were book right threw till mid April! which was too later for mot and Dubshed. So as a tempory measure got this knocked up, I was in 2 minds i did love the sound of the car and the fact it was "quiet" when off boost (valve closed) and a bit of noise on boost, which this set up basically ment with the Valve Open the car was Sports Cat then Straight pipe! but i have to say i love it! and still no drone when cruising!
52804280579_8e75267524_c.jpg

Also while working on the exhaust i had noticed the rear under trays were looking a bit tired and hanging down and had a few cable ties in areas, "while i was there" i decided to give them a freshen up and some new hardware to hold them in place instead of the cable ties
52804026706_8f154b3c50_c.jpg

For quite a number of years id been after a TrackSlag charge pipe which are highly rated in the 1.8T scene, but have always been out of stock and hard to get hold of, me also having the cold side relocation meaning i didnt require the DV pipe so having to source one without it and not having to delete it or blank it made it even harder. Creations Motorsports do a copy of this kit, but never got on with there stuff so decided to hold off for the real deal. One day randomly checking they were in stock!
52804026456_f355645dba_c.jpg

They had stopped doing a polished finish due to time/reliable results so had to buy a Raw finish one and stuck into polishing it myself
52804427305_b7397305b7_c.jpg

52804279944_a74e55a2b3_c.jpg

Tidys the bay up a little more
52804476673_ca9e7a577a_c.jpg

So out with the First proper test drive on the road to work one day a week before MOT, thinking i had it "sorted" on the way back to my unit, every time i hit a slight bump there was a loud solid bang, thinking id blown a bag, burst a strut, not bolted something up/something else came loose. Managed to get under the car and see the wishbone resting on the subframe, for years the subframe & wishbones had been on the list to restore powdercoat/paint and polybush, but with a week till MOT i didnt want to do just the wishbones then later have to do the subframe, so lifted a set from a breaker and droped them infor now. which means i can build the pair i have out of the car so ut would be just the subframe to worry about dropping to rebuild.
52804280734_d3d33bcb82_c.jpg

With that all fixed... after pulling at proding at the passenger side area the last few months with the driveshaft, and wishbone etc, i noticed the wheel alignment was slightly off, so decided to do a rough eye alignment, for now till everything else is sorted and get a full alignment done then!...... dropping the track rod end..... it seized and broke.... so replaced that and eyeball alighnment, and for MOT that following Monday! and thankfully it PASSED!

So back to some Mods! id always wanted to add alittle more Tan to the interior, but too much could be tacky and putting it in too random places...could just be weird, Taking some ideas from some of the Range Rovers, id been looking at trimming them in leather to match but to send them over to Optimus in Scotland, and maybe have to trim the leather my self to make them fit properly or bringing the car over just for that was working out quite expensive, though ive future plans with the car which if i go that far ill get them all trimmed in leather to match. So as a tempoary measure i found a company in Germany selling OEM Coloured Dyes which mainly used to repair leather, but also worked for plastic, ordered the one that matched my seats and tried it out on an old pannel and was happy with the results
52804026686_2bbc6f507b_c.jpg

52804280329_924142558d_c.jpg

52803469212_b68c87166a_c.jpg

Really happy with the outcome and the visual look of the interior with it done!

So now on to Dubshed. Thankfully all the fighting on the lead up to the show! it made it to the show with no issues! but sadly my Rial Split rims have been sheering bolt heads and basically dismanling themselves, and with the damage at the mechanics i decided to hold of and rebuild them, they also needed tyres, and no point buying decent tyres now at the current size run them a few shows, to then strip them and widen them and have surplus tyres sitting. i went back to the OZ Superleggeras, which i kept to be my Daily wheel/MOT spec/ Track wheel
52804026376_c37741c985_c.jpg

52804026521_c042fcd916_c.jpg

52804476458_15bcd1a68d_c.jpg

52803468832_ccbc7eb40c_c.jpg

52804426870_ff1b421dc0_c.jpg

And anyone there/spot in the photos the photo album, i am one for a story with the car as per this thread, and wanted to show people it wasnt a car that was bought, load of money thrown at it overnight, and Tada! its at Dubshed! with the first photos in the album showing the car as i bought it back in 2012! right up until the present day, Did seem to get alot of attention and alot of complements from people about the idea.
52803469042_404077fc60_c.jpg

Late package that was ment to be here for dubshed.
52804476773_108b8199ca_c.jpg

52804476713_ac3136b1fd_c.jpg

52804427325_9c64824fcc_c.jpg

Sadly the car had enough playing ball en route to dubshed! and on the way home on the Sunday the Steering Angle sensor started playing up, and also the Altenator, and some more suspension/steering issues Im hoping it might be a loose bolt that i didnt fully torque or worked its self loose but preparing for the worst! But atm im for letting it sit for now! no major panic to get the car back out, theres alot of wee silly wee bits which id like to address also, So as and when ive a bit of time and feeling a bit adverturious ill get a look at it, just a bit fed up throwing money at it this last while.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Much prefer the OZs over the Rials!
More so with the new center caps! 🤙
Cheers I do still like the OZs myself one of the reasons i kept them, though only thing I don't like is they loose the detail as such being black....but at the same time I think the black suits the car the most!

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I love how far the TT has come and I also love the OZ`s with the new centre caps they completely change the look of the wheel.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
That interior, wow.

Does look superb on the OZ too, new centre caps make them.

Love the "while I'm here" attitude too. It's got me down some rabbit holes I wish I never bothered with during, but always glad you did after. Great thread.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So........

I let the car sit for a montth or 2 then one sunny sunday i got stuck into the TT and pulled the alternator out to get it rebuilt. In an attempt to save stripping half the engine down to get at it, i disconnected the upper boost hoses etc, which allowed access, which normally re install wouldnt be much of an issue. but due to the front mount intercooler set up the running of the pipes just made it a complete nightmare to hold and slide the pipes back together so made it much easier to strip the front end apart, thankfully ive done this far to many times now and can do it in about 5 mins after its up in the air and wheels are off
53538787482_9bac7222fb_c.jpg

53538787492_9cd1cb2ba2_c.jpg

53539847158_8d1911b225_c.jpg

Some slight wearing on the regulator, built the car back up checked around the steering/suspension subframe area for loose bolts all seemed good took it up the road a few times, checked back all clear! thinking to myself ill maybe not miss too much more of the year shows.

Decided to myself the following monday its a nice day, lets take her to work! Driving to work all looked to be 100% until the last 500 years before work, it felt like somone yanked on the wheel hard left and near threw the car into the side of the road, pulled it straight and was fine, so thought it must be a longer distance thing, as it didnt do it the day previous but was only a mile or 2 of driving up and down the road so, issue when warm etc, spent the day trying to diagnose it in my head what it could be, left work litterally a mile up the road the exact same thing, so the warm thought went out the window, on futher inspection, it needed a steering rack! the crunches and squealches out of the rack when the car was up in the air was bad! at this point id just had enough with the car and parked it back into the corner of the unit where its sat ever since.

Fast forward 7/8 months i now get the notion to get the TT back out and ready for dubshed. Made the call as per usual, "while im in there" and had decided to pull the subframe recondition it and the wishbones, new poly bushes, solid subframe bushes, all new bolts (some having to be replaced due to one use bolts) but anything that came off gets new bolts, New steering rack, and decided to also replace all the hard lines too, Trackrod ends, ball joints, etc etc etc etc what started off as needing a new Steering rack has resulted in basically a full nut and bolt restoration on the subframe/steering areas..... so made my list and started ordering parts....

Starting to strip the car down
53539992934_eb5b424616_c.jpg

Went to start ordering parts i needed to get the car fixed and ended up ordering these instead! Doh! Porsche 18z 6 Pot Calipers!
53539668621_5bea86b253_c.jpg

Big brakes had always been on the list of wants......and while i had that area dismantled....it didnt take much to tempt me to make the purchase! You know while im in there! They will be getting rebuilt and painted Red with Black Porsche Script, Also bigger discs to be ordered also they are currently mocked up with the standard disc.

When they arrived i thought to my self they are massive! then thought maybe cause they are out of the car and sitting on the kitchen bench they just look massive, and once in under an arch/wheel they wont be too bad...........
lined up beside the OEM Caliper....no they dont look much smaller yet lol
53539847178_2755e14bbe_c.jpg

Mocked up behind the Rial Split rims, a little shaving would allow the clearance for them with the barrel and some more spacing for the face....until i need to put wheel weights on there would be no room, so they are a no go, they need fully stripped and rebuilt anyway so they where off the cards for dubshed/2024 anyway, so these will be rebuilt and sold and replaced for next year with something else.
53539668551_a7220916a6_c.jpg

Thankfully the OZs wheels have plenty of clearance, and dont need spaced anymore than i normally run anyway, but still quite tight with the face
53538787397_9fe55b528f_c.jpg

53539668626_dba0ac18d8_h.jpg

So with only 2 almost 3 months left to sort the car, i had made no progress in actually what needs to be done.
Subframe Dropped, Years of CV grease built up on the top side of the subframe "protecting it" MK4 platform cars when lowering can cause CV boot issues and forever splits the passengerside inner boot, i used to change them when they split but would litterally be doing it every few weeks/months
53538787367_1a257df0ef_h.jpg

53538787377_c4385e7235_h.jpg

Rack Out
53539668546_f80c7b0306_c.jpg

Started cleaning the subframe up and turned out it wasnt as rusty as i was expecting (the CV grease has helped i think) not bad looking for 130k miles. granted the last 6 or so years its not seen salt or snow.
53540090275_9d0c68ff57_c.jpg

Pulled the bushes out of the subframe and wishbones (forgot to take photos) and they are now away getting blasted. i was going to Powdercoat them as well, but after speaking to ones, ive settled to paint them just, as if the powdercoat gets chiped etc it might let moisture in under it and cause issues down the line were as if i chip paint i can easily touch it in.... Chip/scrape damage wouldnt be an issue on most cars, but seeing as the car lays the subframe on the ground on level surface on full drop theres always a chance of airing out on a stone or something, or simply catching it on the ground when driving too low.

Small list of the parts thats being changed/doneoff the top of my head.
-Subframe Blasted & Painted
-Wisbones Blasted & Painted
-Anti Roll Bar Blasted & Painted
-Front Wishbone Bush to Poly Bush
-Rear Wishbone Bush to OE (the air ride can cause problems when fitting polybushes being to tight, OE will give it some flex)
-Solid Subframe Bushes
-New Steering Rack
-Steering Rack Poly Bush
-Power Steering Lines (low & high Pressure)
-Track Rod Ends
-Ball Joints
-Droplinks
-Anti Roll bar Brackets & bolts (Bushs are already Polybushes)
-Steering Rack Bolts
-Subframe Bolts
-Wishbone Bolts
-Porsche Calipers & Brackets
-R32 mk4/TT V6 Discs
-New OE R32 Disc Dust sheilds and bolts

I Did concider fitting new anti roll bars, but general conclusion on the owners form is leave the front and change the rear to R32 for the best value/road set up, changing both the H&R set up is great but expensive, and as id only be doing the front now, (plan to do the same type of rebuild to the rear next winter) it would upset the handling to much being so tight up front and OE on the rear, and at the end of the day its a Show car not a track car, it doesnt need them.

I am Concidering painting the OZs a different colour too just to change them up some more, as the Black really lets them down in some photos but are decent in person. but the Red & Black theme is also a great combination. Ive also been looking at new wheels, but telling myself if i run the OZs this year atleast ill make use of the stupidly expensive (but quality) centre lock caps i bought last year and didnt arrive in time.

The goal is having it on the road for the 18th or so (yes of March lol) so 4 weeks basically, and ive still not got everything ordered! Though the main goal is Dubshed but would like it on the road before hand to give it a few test runs etc, and not be last minute rushing......more so!

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
I think keep the brakes and put the OZ on - think they suit the car a lot better than the Rials
Yeah i did concider selling the 18z and giving 17z a test fit (still 6 pot but smaller housing from what i gather) and still keep the Rials but id been looking to rebuild the rials/change to other splits for a while so this is my excuse, plus i would never have been fully happy knowing id changed down to 17z, so plan to run the OZ wheels this year unless something else comes up.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
If you wanted to switch calipers up I have some 4 pots here if you want to try for spacing your more than welcome too.

I love the car on the OZ and I also know what you mean about black and Photo`s the wheels always look really small when black but I think with the red details they are spot on. I had the idea of going gold on my wheels but when you see the car in person the black really suits it.

Also give me a shout Reference the H&R ARB kit you could be surprised and what I can offer. We are the main distributor for H&R in the UK.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So following on from the previous updates, the car has been accepted for an Indoor spot at Dubshed.. hopefully it makes it lol

Some new Powersteering lines, as with the "while im in there" frame of mind, since im draining all the system nows the time to make any changes to that area, so replaced all the lines, the orginals wasnt in too bad shape, but again while im there.
53586217513_580b172b47_c.jpg

53586442065_fa7e0399ff_c.jpg

Had a friend borrow his work blaster and had a few bits blasted and primed ready for paint.
53585132097_fe3e5f4203_c.jpg

53585132087_318c0a4ab9_c.jpg

Then some of the parts painted
53586320284_5442f23448_c.jpg

Wishbones painted and built up with Polybushes and new OEM rear bushes (due to the airride) and new ball joints.
53585132022_1e641ce625_c.jpg

Subframe painted and built up with Solid subframe mounts, New anti roll bar brackets for the previously fitted Polybushs and bolts for the dogbone mount
53585132017_d2a492b845_c.jpg

Freshly rebuilt Steering rack fitted up to the subframe along with a Powerflex bush for the rack.
53585996016_18819f1d0f_c.jpg

At this point i was ready to install the subframe and wishbones, then decided to fit up some new parts "while im in there" and also making a few more changes, but more on those as i make more progress. Though a little peek at whats happening, removed the carbon canister from the engine bay.......
53586217553_23bfd8a3c2_c.jpg

And just what i needed to start doing weeks before dubshed some Carbon Fibre parts in progress!
53586217543_5089490cd0_c.jpg

And Finally got round the refurbing the Porsche Calipers, opted for Brembo Red, rather than going yellow like i fancied and having to paint the rears as well to match pior to dubshed, red with a new black Porsche Script. (Dont worry ive new bleed nipples sitting ready to be installed)
53586442020_b31c2e380d_c.jpg

Just waiting on the last parts to finish some bits up before i can finally fit the subframe & rack. If everything comes for the weekend, the car will hopefully be basically ready bar the brake pads, then bleeding the brake system, and power steering system, but then again what might be delayed, or what ever else i decided to do "while im in there" having said that theres nothing thats came off thats went back on as it was, everythings either been refurbished, or replaced, so unless i decide to drop the engine and start rebuilding in there theres not much more to touch..... i dont think.

Also currently have decided the OZ superleggeras are staying black......but might be replaced for dubshed with something else.....but im holding off till the car "runs" before making the purchase as i dont want to spend a small fortune on some new wheels, to then find something else wrong and having spent a large sum of money that could have fixed said issue, on a set of wheels.....that i dont really really need lol.

Last edited:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
If you wanted to switch calipers up I have some 4 pots here if you want to try for spacing your more than welcome too.

I love the car on the OZ and I also know what you mean about black and Photo`s the wheels always look really small when black but I think with the red details they are spot on. I had the idea of going gold on my wheels but when you see the car in person the black really suits it.

Also give me a shout Reference the H&R ARB kit you could be surprised and what I can offer. We are the main distributor for H&R in the UK.

Cheers for the offer! both the trying the brakes and sourcing an ARB kit. I want the 6pots, and if i changed down to the 4 pots just to fit behind the Rial wheels, id never be happy, especially as they fit beind the OZs fine, if it was going to be a complete struggle to get wheels to fit then id have made a sacrifce of going down smaller brakes, but will stick with the 6pots. Also on the ARB i just opted to stick with OEM, the views on the upgrade is very hit or miss within the owners club, unless its the heavy track cars, some say its overkill for road cars, but for best of both worlds its recommended to stick to OEM and upgrade the rears to an R32 OEM one which ill likely do instead when i hopefully do the rear next winter (or 2 months before dubshed next year again lol) but thanks.

Yeah, alot of people have said in person the black wheels suit so well, but really doesnt come across in photos, though have decided to stick with them black for now, unless i buy a new set of wheels once the cars running, which will hopefully tick both boxes for me for the look i want but will see what happens before dubshed lol