Audio install fabric - now installing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Cheers Jim, slow process as its only an hour or two here and there

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Finished of tweeter pods tonight ...

IMAG4283-1024x1467.jpg

IMAG4284-1280x893.jpg

And some of the building them ...
37fc4e7f-8a6b-4b96-a0ef-00298463399f.jpg

fca92c46-6679-4976-a3f4-75cb978911be.jpg
d98638f1-ab89-477c-bf78-823b6815fa6b.jpg
e73b3f39-9f50-408b-aab3-eb93f5c3c6ab.jpg
ec431107-8eb2-40bd-8b4d-366368ebcd74.jpg

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Cold weather called of play for a day or two but more done tonight...

Tweeters mounted. Going from advice of someone who knows these tweeters from competition level the advice was to fire them at each other. Most tweeters need some sort of aiming but the bulky wave guides on these give them their spread ...
IMAG4309-1280x893.jpg

Plastics stripped and cables run in down side of car, surprisingly easy ...
IMAG4303-1200x1719.jpg

Rear quarter plastics off for sound deadening, cable runs and connecting into rear speaker feed as there is no RCA output from head unit and space around HU is tight as hell for fiddling with cables...

IMAG4305-1280x893.jpg

Earth mounted to ISO point after cleaning it to bare metal ...
IMAG4302-1280x893.jpg

EQ controller mounted ...
IMAG4311-1280x893.jpg

Audison Bit 10 mounted into boot foam. This little box of tricks allows you to connect in to standard head units were you only have a speaker output, de-equalizes it, cleans it and allows full EQ and time alignment ...
IMAG4224-1280x893.jpg

Last edited:

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
HD as in good head unit with RCA outs?

I have a very old but top end head unit here but really wanted to keep the stock unit with sat nav, phone, Bluetooth integration.

The Bit 10 by all reviews takes a crap input and works voodoo to give it a quality output. We shall see.
Can also connect a hard drive to it for full HD music storage but it's expensive so I'll see how this goes first.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Excellent work @impact coming along nicely. I have and iasca set up disc you can borrow and copy of you need it. It's great for setting phasing and depth.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Excellent work @impact coming along nicely. I have and iasca set up disc you can borrow and copy of you need it. It's great for setting phasing and depth.

Cheers for the offer @jimcupra although I should have one in the house somewhere I hope, been about 6 years since I last used it.
Never got tired of the superman track on it, it will certainly find anything loose on the car :laughing:

jimcupra

RMS Regular
If you don't find it I can lend you mine. It's an older disc with the space shuttle taking off at the start. Couple of star wars based bass tracks it would shake your teeth out lol. They are great for setting up the system many hours I spent tweaking mine for competitions.
Cheers for the offer @jimcupra although I should have one in the house somewhere I hope, been about 6 years since I last used it.
Never got tired of the superman track on it, it will certainly find anything loose on the car :laughing:

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
HD as in good head unit with RCA outs?

I have a very old but top end head unit here but really wanted to keep the stock unit with sat nav, phone, Bluetooth integration.

The Bit 10 by all reviews takes a crap input and works voodoo to give it a quality output. We shall see.
Can also connect a hard drive to it for full HD music storage but it's expensive so I'll see how this goes first.

No the audisson bit product ... :grinning:

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
You put me in mind for this @jimcupra as I forgot I had it. So after a high percentage of the house being searched through it was eventually found in the roof space in a box after house move many years back.

Result...
IMAG4316-1280x893.jpg

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
No the audisson bit product ... :grinning:

Ah the HD being the hard drive for the audison? Feckers are looking £600 for it new. I went for the D version of the bit ten in the hope I can maybe pick one up on eBay, though because of the price new they will be like hens teeth.

Bit ten was got on eBay too, don't even know if it works yet lol

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
LOL

they are a great job and do a good job in tidying up sound.
prepare to spend hours in front of your laptop though ... i don't have one btw but know someone who does
could be on the cards down the line if able to get my hands on more hi def material

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
I'll look forward to the laptop fiddling if everything works but tbh other than playing about to my own preferences I'd have no clue as to how to set it up well. Never competed before, only ever been a casual fiddler :laughing:

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
If you don't find it I can lend you mine. It's an older disc with the space shuttle taking off at the start. Couple of star wars based bass tracks it would shake your teeth out lol. They are great for setting up the system many hours I spent tweaking mine for competitions.

Hard to beat a spot of 'The rebel bass' for loosening the fillings

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
All running, slopes and cross over points set, time alignment set but just running a flat EQ. My ears are in no way good enough to be able to properly tune other than literally fiddle.

Good news is it's sounding decent with flat curve :laughing: (well good enough for my ears) Somebody who knew what they were at would need to listen.

So now rattle hunting. Doors fairly well killed until you play another track which finds more :confounded:. Rear number plate raised on dual lock tape to stop that rattling. And I think a bit of resonance to kill in the fibre glass sub enclosure which I'll sort with some proper open cell foam pads.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
If you are happy with the sound, then it's correct! I never liked the sound from the "Flat" cars on the sound off circuit. What sounds great to a machine rarely sounds good to humans - except those who like to tell lies, or are Androids.

I'm hoping to get a few days off to build a sub/ amp into the back of the Astra, but the Focals up front are staying in their OEM locations

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
When I say flat I mean I haven't tweeked the EQ as opposed to flatting the output to suit a meter.
More sound deadening ordered for the weekend so will do a bit more work there first to try and kill the majority of stuff off. Trying to add as little as I can get away with rather than just layering it up everywhere and adding weight where its not required.

What are you putting in? @Cartunes

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Fantastic thread!! Has me now thinking about doing an install in the Clio!

When doing the fibreglass part of the sub box, how thick do you make it? I presume you do it in layers? Do you bond it or screw it to the box? What prevents it from cracking when the bass is cranked up?

Sorry for all the questions, any of my previous builds have all been bulky boxes lol, this time I'm keen to use as little space as possible lol

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Fantastic thread!! Has me now thinking about doing an install in the Clio!

When doing the fibreglass part of the sub box, how thick do you make it? I presume you do it in layers? Do you bond it or screw it to the box? What prevents it from cracking when the bass is cranked up?

Sorry for all the questions, any of my previous builds have all been bulky boxes lol, this time I'm keen to use as little space as possible lol

Easy Brian.. Impact's tweeters cost more than your car so don't be getting carried away lest the waynes go without

I make my fibreglass boxes about 5 layers thick. Not many subs will crack that. I bond the flat speaker baffle to the fibre box then slap more mat and resin in to seal around the interface , but as long as it doesn't leak air then there's little to worry about.

Have fun!! I have an mtx 10" that might be going spare in a small band pass box..... cheap!

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
I make my fibreglass boxes about 5 layers thick. Not many subs will crack that. I bond the flat speaker baffle to the fibre box then slap more mat and resin in to seal around the interface , but as long as it doesn't leak air then there's little to worry about.

Same as above @Blackie . I got the fibreglass mat and resin from MB Fibreglass in Newtownabbey. The matt they will give you is much thicker than the likes of the stuff you get in Halfords but probably works out cheaper. (about £40 for everything required)

I made the MDF frame first, roughed up the inside, set it in place in the boot after covering carpet in a sheet of plastic, then laid fibreglass on. It has about 6 inchs of over lap with MDF where space allows. A couple of screws also where there less over lap. I also went around with a hot melt glue around the seams to ensure it was air tight and a good bond.

You could also staple it before the resin sets, can't after.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Cool! Thanks for the advice guys!

@Cartunes no I won't be going for a competition level or ultimate show winning standards, just something that will maybe make the Clio stand out a bit and obviously improve my listening lol

And I'm listening to the 10" sub offer? Lol

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Cool! Thanks for the advice guys!

@Cartunes no I won't be going for a competition level or ultimate show winning standards, just something that will maybe make the Clio stand out a bit and obviously improve my listening lol

And I'm listening to the 10" sub offer? Lol
Listen to it and offer!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.