AX GT engine swop

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cruiser4life

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra GSi Turbo/
does anyone no if it would be possible 2 swop the engine from an ax gt 4 a 1.6 16v saxo vts engine, or would it be a major headache to do?

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
I've seen phase 1 106's(XS) fitted with the 1.6 16v, so I'd imagine the AX would be similar enough, plus it was supposedly straightforward enough

cruiser4life

RMS Regular
OP
cruiser4life
Drives
Astra GSi Turbo/
its just an idea im considering at the moment, dont no whether 2 do the complete swop , or just fit a 1600 block, or change the head for one off a gt500 ax.

broken peg

Banned
from what i can remember the bulkhead on the AX gets in the way of the 16v engine. it has been done though, probably more hassle than its worth; Buy a VTS. ;)

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
But a VTS is ALOT heavier than an AX. Get this months Retro Cars magazine, cos there is a Phase 1 106 rallye with a 1.6 16v engine in it. Might give you a few ideas

Daz_PD

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda Octavia 2.
get the vtr 1.6 8v engine, it fits no problem apparently, but the 16v engine has problems!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Funny, my sister, is giving me her 1998 1.0 Ax and i'd be thinking about a VTR conversion myself!!!

Be extremely interested on what you find out about this!

nicruisin_106

ther was an AX in perfromance gti a few months back with the LAD motorsport conversion and the fella who owned it was about to change it to a VTS lump so im sure it can be done, will probly take a bitta work but will be quick as fook!! do it

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
it can be done ok, you need everything out of the saxamaho though so you do, wiring looms, clocks, box, shafts, hubs, lada lada lada etc etc etc

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
See I reckon a VTR lump would be more fun, imo, besides, I can't see a VTR lump staying standard if it was being taken out and going in! ;)

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Forgot the AX GT id carb'd, so if you intended to run injection you'd need to upgrade the fuel lines. AX GTi would be a better base to begin from

cruiser4life

RMS Regular
OP
cruiser4life
Drives
Astra GSi Turbo/
ive been told that the simplest thing 2 do is 2 change the 1400 block 4 a 1600 item, no hassle with looms, fuel lines, etc. my mate works 4 citroen and reckons both vtr and vts swops can be done but with major hassle especially with the vts conversion.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.