B20 EF Civic

Jap-mc97

RMS Regular
Drives
Esi saloon civic
I would keep the b20 mate if you get it sorted it will be some engine.
Way more period for the car than a k20, I'm sure it heaps of fun to drive when it's running right! looks a real real clean ef to fair play you!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I would keep the b20 mate if you get it sorted it will be some engine.
Way more period for the car than a k20, I'm sure it heaps of fun to drive when it's running right! looks a real real clean ef to fair play you!
Don't worry B20 will be staying if the final mapping all goes well. Thats if it happens, still trying to get in contact with tuner.

Its great fun already with the new alternator and some mapping improvements its already running better, so I'm sure it will be great when finalised. Really enjoy driving it, not as much as the 260, but close.

Once the Z is finished I plan to strip this to a shell and get a bare metal respray and try to add some stiffness to the shell at the same time as its got over 130k on it now. I want it to go back to being as mint as it was below (which it isn't at the moment)

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Got MOT booked early next Month. But have still had no luck finding a tuner.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
He just got back to me tonight, thanks. Not sure if it will happen though as he is booked 6 weeks ahead and I am back to work in just under that.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I remember racing a wee 1.6 SiR and could not believe how fast it was, my car was 200hp Ibiza turbo and I could just about sit with the Civic. Awesome wee thing.

Yours is a real credit to you. What exactly is a B20B? I googled and it said it’s a non Vtec 2.0 out of a CRV?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Yours is a real credit to you.
Thanks, it was, but unfortunately its not mint anymore, rear arches need done, but once I can afford it after the Datsun is finished it will get a bare metal restoration. I'll make sure that arches last longer this time, won't want to do them ever again as they have both previously been repaired before, but the quality of the work after the new metal was welded in was low, didn't know it at the time, pretty sure its just got underseal over bare metal, possibly had primer applied first.

What exactly is a B20B? I googled and it said it’s a non Vtec 2.0 out of a CRV?
Thats exactly what it is, the block is from a CRV, I then add uprated high compression pistons, rods, bearings and convert it to take a VTEC head from a B18CR. And just like that you have a 2L VTEC B Series.

Reactions: Rob

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Passed the MOT with zero advisories which is nice but not surprising.

IMG_5954.jpg

I really do love the ass shape on the EF's

IMG_5953.jpg

Mapping won't be happening unless he gets a cancellation, bad luck that when I first contacted him he was on vacation. I will try and arrange earlier next time.

Changed front tyres to AD08R's, I love them already, worth every penny, moved from 195's to 205's, wouldn't be able to run any wider than 205's with stock arches.

IMG_5971.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5988.jpg

0-60 in 5.3 isn't bad for a tune that isn't 100%, tyres that might not be fully scrubbed in yet, full tank of fuel, full interior and limited practice. I think with a burnout first and some practice getting the right launch I can get closer to a 5 second time. Gearbox doesn't help, not the smoothest change at 1st to second at high rpms, it does have 136k on it after all.

IMG_6195.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Shes put away again for now. Enjoyed the driving, will try and book mapping earlier next time so I get a slot an finally get that sorted.

She got an oil and filter change and a careful wash and dry followed by some wax.

Used my new detailing toy to dry her, I bought this to dry off the wheels, brakes and areas around lights and windows because I was fed up with watermarks from trapped water. However I was actually able to dry the whole car using it, so it was a totally contactless drying process with the benefit that there was no water left to run out from behind any trim.

IMG_6682.jpg

It has 4 speed settings, I didn't even have to use the highest.
IMG_6683.jpg

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Had the MOT on this an then had to get it ready and up to JCC on the same day. It passed MOT with zero issues so all was good. Its still not mapped 100% but its actually running pretty well as the map is close. Keep missing out on getting it mapped at AP Performance, Aonghus is hard to get in contact with.

Day before the MOT however and it was far from ready:

Bumper%20off.jpg

I had decided that my intake pipe with flaking paint would not do for the show so started a very quick spray job. Would have liked longer to do it properly but I didn't have it and I figured it would look far better afterwards than how it currently looked anyhow.

Loose powercoating came off easily but it would have taken an age to get he rest removed and as this was already almost 5 in the evening I just sanded the edges smooth.
Pipe%2001.jpg

Primer

Pipe%2002.jpg

Basecoat and Clearcoat

Pipe%2004.jpg

Not perfect but much better than before.

Intake%20pipe%20final.jpg

After the MOT I got her washed and then headed up to Lisburn where I gave it another wash just before heading into the Eikon centre.

JCC%2011.jpg

JCC%2012.jpg

The bay cleaned up pretty well, not much left to do in here apart from the rocker cover.

JCC%2010.jpg

JCC%20005.jpg

Civic%20bay%20side.jpg

JCC%20009.jpg

Civic%20bay%20top.jpg

civic_tom

RMS Regular
Had the MOT on this an then had to get it ready and up to JCC on the same day. It passed MOT with zero issues so all was good. Its still not mapped 100% but its actually running pretty well as the map is close. Keep missing out on getting it mapped at AP Performance, Aonghus is hard to get in contact with.

Day before the MOT however and it was far from ready:

Bumper%20off.jpg

I had decided that my intake pipe with flaking paint would not do for the show so started a very quick spray job. Would have liked longer to do it properly but I didn't have it and I figured it would look far better afterwards than how it currently looked anyhow.

Loose powercoating came off easily but it would have taken an age to get he rest removed and as this was already almost 5 in the evening I just sanded the edges smooth.
Pipe%2001.jpg

Primer

Pipe%2002.jpg

Basecoat and Clearcoat

Pipe%2004.jpg

Not perfect but much better than before.

Intake%20pipe%20final.jpg

After the MOT I got her washed and then headed up to Lisburn where I gave it another wash just before heading into the Eikon centre.

JCC%2011.jpg

JCC%2012.jpg

The bay cleaned up pretty well, not much left to do in here apart from the rocker cover.

JCC%2010.jpg

JCC%20005.jpg

Civic%20bay%20side.jpg

JCC%20009.jpg

Civic%20bay%20top.jpg

Looking awesome as always mate! Made a great job of the intake pipe. Bay looking 👌

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Had a great day at JCC, many nice cars to look at, interesting conversations to have, good drifting to watch and the weather being great helped.

JCC%2018.jpg

66471508_296094294506930_5635695033127534592_n.jpg

JCC%20003.jpg

66241047_2280792088672530_6394219406158725120_n.jpg

66382844_2467086436686816_2823360042663673856_n.jpg

I didn't take many photos of the other cars, left that to the Pros, but there were some that really caught my attention.

Super clean CRX

JCC%20CRX.jpg

Really nicely done 86 with a mint bay and SR20

JCC%2016.jpg

JCC%2015.jpg

Loved this MK3 Civic with B18 swap, its so tight in there it must have been a challenge, I thought my bay was tight around my B but this is next level.

JCC%2014.jpg

JCC%2013.jpg

civic_tom

RMS Regular
Some exhaust sound from the B20, pure exhaust no intake, sounds crap on laptop speakers. Very different sound to the B16B exhaust.

Sounds good mate, no raspy, fart can noise. That’s an interesting place to hear the exhaust from in a video too. Have you any outside fly by videos to compare how it sounds inside and outside?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Sounds good mate, no raspy, fart can noise. That’s an interesting place to hear the exhaust from in a video too. Have you any outside fly by videos to compare how it sounds inside and outside?
Yeah, I dislike the raspy sound so waned mine as rasp free as I could get.

I should point put that the microphone in those videos was outside the car about 1m away from the exhaust.

I don't have any flyby videos at the moment.

Looks a really fun wee car that, what gearbox / FD are you running?
Its certainly fun, love driving it, as long as its not in traffic. Original stock i-VT gearbox which I believe is a 4.13 final drive. Its got pretty long ratios but wouldn't want it any shorter as 70mph would be really bad.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
So, the engine developed a noise from the belt side. I figured it was the tensioner.

So, I decided to replace it, the noise was actually worse than that later on.

Having an ATI superdamper makes it harder to remove as it needs a special puller to remove it (its on there really tight, needs a big breaker bar to pull it off) and means removing left side engine mount and front and rear torque mounts and then dropping the engine as much as possible at that side. Even then its a tight fit.

Tool to lock off cam gears proved handy.

thumbnail_IMG_1517.jpg

None of those fittings had the correct thread for the crank, I use the ball one to push it off. Still need to work how I will pull it back on?

thumbnail_IMG_1519.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1545.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1539.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1537.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1540.jpg

Of course the bolt for the tensioner was stripped and on there super tight. Luckily I was able to borrow some bolt gripper sockets, these things are great.

thumbnail_IMG_1578.jpg

thumbnail_0F676894-DE4D-486F-9385-CFDBCB7DDBD9.jpg

Tensioner seems fine as does water pump so noise isn't from there. Could be from belt being too loose.

This however does not seem right? Surely there shouldn't be that much forward and backward movement? In and out is fine as its clamped on by the dampner.

Should I try replacing the crank gear?

thumbnail_IMG_1585.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1586.jpg

Any ideas where the noise is from?

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Is there anyone that can tell me if that play on the crank gear is normal? Or What the noise might be?

I guess hardly anyone reads this thread so I might be better making a new thread for this.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Ian, I'd only be guessing... personally I would be asking an expert be it an engine builder or engineering firm.