B20 EF Civic

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Been too busy to reply until now.

There shouldn't be play, it should be a tight fit. Is the key worn out? Love the car btw.
Thats what the natural engineer in me instantly thought, it just can't be right, despite some mechanics saying once the damper is on tight it will be fine, perhaps it would be on a low performance engine, not one thats pushing what is possible on a b series.

It doesn't have a key, as in a separate one like on some b series engines, its forged as part of the crank gear (The damper still has a key). I can only guess its either worn or the crank recces is worn. I'll start by buying a new crank gear as I can do that easily. If it does't work I may just stick it back together and drive it anyway as I won't be taking the engine apart. I do not believe the noise was from this issue, I think with a re-tension of the belt the noise may go.

Really nice to see another EE9 on here, never mind such a great example. I would imagine its a monster with the b20 :grinning:
Thanks. I can see you have a thread, I have no time tonight, but have saved it and hope to have time for a read sometime.

I loved it with all engines, but the B20 is great, its so much more than either of the 1.6's. Even though its got way more power than the 195ish from the B16B I have to say I still enjoyed the B16B as much if not more when fully on it, the sound and revving to 9000rpm (even higher on one occasion :blush: ) was just such an experience and you really needed to give it everything to get the best from it. The B20 makes anything below 6000rpm much more enjoyable however as the B16B had little down there, the B20 on the other hand has enough power to spin the tyres from any rpm's in first gear by just putting your foot down and I often pull away in second gear as its so torquey you don't actually need first, its weird to say this, but you don't even need VTEC crossover to have a great drive,changing at 5500 rpm can be great fun in the twisties

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
So, I would love to get this back on the road.

I want to replace the crank gear, might see if a new one tightens things up. The problem is Honda do not stock them anymore, so where to get one from? If anyone has any ideas let me know as its stuck not working until I get one. Not sure if they are the same for all b series, looks like there are a couple of varieties from what I can see. I need one for a B20Z.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
So, I would love to get this back on the road.

I want to replace the crank gear, might see if a new one tightens things up. The problem is Honda do not stock them anymore, so where to get one from? If anyone has any ideas let me know as its stuck not working until I get one. Not sure if they are the same for all b series, looks like there are a couple of varieties from what I can see. I need one for a B20Z.

Would Clockwise Motion, CPL Racing or 4PistonRacing offer anything for you?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Bound be one in Japan somewhere
If I knew where to look.

Would Clockwise Motion, CPL Racing or 4PistonRacing offer anything for you?
I can try and contact them, although I'm not sure its something they would keep in stock or that would be replaced often. Pretty sure they would normally do the life of the engine. They might at least suggest where to find one.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I am looking forward to having these things out in the summer.

Just 1st and second gear was fun in my drive, pulls so much harder than my Daily Mazda 3, and so much harder than any of my B16s did. Can't wait to be out in it again. Its actually so torquey you don't actually need first gear, unless you have 3 passengers with you.

IMG_5048.JPG

Funny, I ran the fat fives which are now my storage wheels for many years and liked them, but I really dislike them now.

Finally got it running how it should.

And after a few years of meaning to do it I got round to putting a proper fuel filter in. I looked everywhere over the car to try and find a spot for it.

thumbnail_IMG_5927.jpg

Replacing this tiny one (under the strut brace, just behind the oil cap) that was all it had, it actually worked, but with newish injectors I wanted a proper one in.

Civic_bay_top.jpg

Some of the parts for the new setup:

thumbnail_IMG_3194.jpg

Settled on this location as it was literally the only place possible, and its nice and neat.

thumbnail_IMG_3204.jpg

For some reason I really enjoy making fuel lines and working with AN fittings:

thumbnail_IMG_3207.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3211.jpg

And you would never know:

thumbnail_IMG_3212.jpg

And the bay:

thumbnail_IMG_3218.jpg

Had a hard time because the fuel pulse damper and banjo setup requires a star crush washer, I didn't have one and couldn't find one, so had to make my own my filing a standard copper washer down.

If it all runs well I might treat it to a nice Radium engineering fuel rail, pressure gauge and pulse damper setup. And then get the map 100%, hopefully with AP performance.

Last edited:

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
These really are the nicest shape of Civic ever in my opinion! I may have said this on this thread already (but to lazy to go back through and check) but I had a wee 1.4 Dual Carb version back in the day and I loved it!

It’s the only Honda one car owned that I’ve really loved. Had an EK and currently have a CH6 Accord, but I haven’t loved any of them the way I did the EF.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
These really are the nicest shape of Civic ever in my opinion! I may have said this on this thread already (but to lazy to go back through and check) but I had a wee 1.4 Dual Carb version back in the day and I loved it!
Well, 3G Civics are well cool, and some of the other shapes are nice, but I think I have to agree with you. Perhaps thats why I still love this thing after owning it for 14 years.

I have a feeling you mentioned a 1.4 4G before.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Yea it was a great wee car. Surprisingly quick for what it was and had great handling, though prone to a bit of lift off oversteer lol.

I only lowered it 30mm in a set of 15”s, had Jon Exhausts in Newry make up a full stainless steel system and fitted a CRX bonnet to her.

This is the only pic I have left of her lol

01EB9922-6F70-4942-93B2-B7D01DE62902.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Quick because it weighs less than a ton, and nice to drive because you feel well connected to it and the road. I remember a mates little Citroen AX GT was always quick for what it was.

Only had L.O.O in mine one and that was my fault. Although I've had reports from people that think it looks like its drifting through fast corner, I think thats just because it rotates well.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Very true about the weight and yea the three times I had L.O.O were all my fault, egging her on until I got understeer and then lifted off throttle and got the oversteer lol.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Beautiful car!!! Also looking for a K engine eg/ek04
Thanks.

Common enough swap in an EG, I guess if you search long enough you will find one for sale thats right. That would definitely be a lot of fun to drive. The extra torque from a 2L makes road driving much more enjoyable in these cars.

Lee

RMS Regular
Nice neat job on the fuel filter setup. I like the bike also!

I had a VTI a few years back, with full DC2 running gear including brakes, shifter etc. It was also mapped by AP. Launch control and 9k rev limit. It was a fun car.

Snapchat-437833933623690509~2.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
EKs are good cars and still very light, EK4 VTI is only 100kg heavier stock for stock than an EF9.

Must get mine weighed sometime. No idea what it weighs but its probably close to 1000kg, the closer to 900kg the better, but I am aware my sunroof all in adds at least 20kg. I want to make a carbon fibre roof for it, but unless I can find a second hand roof I won't be able to make the mould.

Reactions: Lee

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Was pleased to get this out again this year. Driven it quit a bit up until this week as the weather has been terrible. Hopefully it get better soon. I love this car on the coast road and through the twisties, so long as the road isn't too bumpy.

As she was pulled out the tent, other than changing from the storage wheels.

thumbnail_IMG_9228.jpg

I entered this to Dubshed at the last minute, so had a lot of things I wanted done first.

Headlight on the drivers side was looking dull, so I decided to fix it for good and give it a ceramic clear coat.

thumbnail_IMG_9244.jpg

Front right corner not looking great.

thumbnail_IMG_9243.jpg

Thats much better, and permanent now.

thumbnail_IMG_9267.jpg

Wasn't happy with my cam cover, was just done with 1k spray can primer and paint. Luckily I now have blasting and spraying facilities and do some Cerakote work. Only problem was the small timescale, an the polished finish add a lot of complexity compare to a standard paint job.

thumbnail_IMG_9283.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9284.jpg

Did some other brackets at the same time.

thumbnail_IMG_9288.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9301.jpg

Only took this off to re polish the latch, but upon seeing the state of it I did it all

thumbnail_IMG_9287.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9297.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9304.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9303.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9565.jpg

Good thing about doing it with Cerakote is that it applies such a thin layer I can coat the threads of bolts and still use them 100%, so it doesn't affect thing like latches and it won't flake off springs like primer and paint would. The latch was polished and coated with ceramic clear.

thumbnail_IMG_9563.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9558.jpg

Cover turned out well apart rom the red, I ran out of time and messed it up, its now been re done though. One thing I hate when getting somewhere like a body shop to do things like cover for you is they generally just paint everything including threads of the oil cap etc. Much better doing it myself and doing it right. If I was using paint I would also have masked off the parts where the washers sit for mounting it, but with it being Cerakote I know it wont flake so I left it.

thumbnail_IMG_9569.jpg