B5.5 Passat Estate

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat
So, after owning my Golf GTI for just over a year, I decided I needed something more sensible, specifically on fuel as the mileage I was putting onto the car was proving quite expensive to say the least.

I had been contemplating plenty of different options when I was notified of this particular car by @browne174. With the Golf selling quite quickly, I was able to pick this up the following day.

It's a late 2004 which means the indicators are in the mirrors which is a nice touch and is a highline so electric everything and leather interior. It came with a set of 17" Bistars with Michelins and the previous owner had put ina set of AP shocks and springs which was a nice bonus as well as a great service history which was a big deal for me.

Few pics of it from the evening I picked it up:

29034620108_190c600edd_c.jpg

28038153667_e4c71a65e1_c.jpg

41096709170_f9940a488a_c.jpg

42188654444_0c947b9de2_c.jpg

41096706860_56cf9dea5d_c.jpg

Few marks here and there on it but for its age, I think its very presentable.

The following day I decided to start ordering stuff to sort some minor niggles. I had intended on replacing the bulbs for some 'whiter' ones to get rid of the yellow glow and discovered a sidelight had blown. So sorted that while i was at it.

Before:

42188642694_0be903fecd_c.jpg

After:

28038312107_e335a40da1_c.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
While I was out in the car, I also decided to swing by Whitehead to replicate a photo of @puzzlement13's old B3 GT estate:

42906902321_38febea466_c.jpg

Fair to say, they're completely different beasts but I thought it was pretty cool.

Then I struck a deal with another friend for a Pioneer Appradio to replace the old cassette deck and CD changer. I'm still waiting for the fitting kit for this but he also threw in his old Broadway mirror so I figured I may as well fit it.

Before:

41096954990_db16b55a90_c.jpg

After:

42858595842_264e62c18a_c.jpg

And yes, some of the interior light bulbs have also blown but I have a full set of LEDs for the interior on their way as well. And the car also came with a W8 interior light which was another nice touch!

Another easy fix was the busted rear seat belt buckle with a replacement being sourced off of eBay.

Before:

42906936961_e16ba0e37e_c.jpg

After:

41096702180_1ceb4a470b_c.jpg

Finally, I decided to throw the wheels I had on the Golf onto the Passat and I have to say, I honestly think it suits them better!

41096975280_7e73e343ec_b.jpg

I also discovered the car still had rear adjusters in from a previous set of coilovers so I wound those down a bit to try and get the ride height level but sadly I don't have a pic handy to show that.

I have a set of wind deflectors on the way for the car and I intend to tint the windows but just to a subtle level and then I also have some issues with the chrome window surrounds where they have gone cloudy which may mean having to the get that wrapped but I'm somewhat torn on that. Also, I need to sort the stone chipped grille out and maybe even sort the front bumper out as there is a small patch where the paint is missing but since its not sticking out too badly, that's not too high a priority.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Looks to be in fantastic condition. I have a 2009 silver estate s fee years ago and what I liked most was the gear box. So soft and smooth.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Great big barges, I really miss mine. The sport steering wheel in yours is much nicer feeling than the standard Highline wheel too.

One of very few cars I regret selling, my mate has it now and I’d be tempted to buy it back but he’s got no intentions of selling.

4564F33E-9BF1-495B-AEA5-611D92F4BC31.jpeg

41EFD0B6-F029-40E7-B665-B726606E375E.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
You had me right up to the new wheels. I much prefer the original ones personally, but the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing.

Perfect daily you have there, fantastic cars. Great spec on the Highline too.

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
You had me right up to the new wheels. I much prefer the original ones personally, but the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing.

Perfect daily you have there, fantastic cars. Great spec on the Highline too.

Thanks. It’s been very well kept, a true credit to its previous owner who kept on top of everything and I’ve been loving the comfort and the fuel economy this past couple of weeks. Also, I know the wheels aren’t to everyone’s tastes but I figure that they’re there with good tyres so may as well make the most of them :grinning:

Lee

RMS Regular
That looks great and I'm sure a nice car to live with. You're probably sick hearing it but not fussed on the new wheels or stickers personally. Are these 5x100?

Vw Nut001

RMS Regular
Drives
biTDI C7 A6
I love mine and use mine just for the commute and still an early 04 sport (with the red I) low mileage at 75k miles.

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
That looks very clean! I prefer the original wheels if im honest.

Don’t worry, I get the feeling you’re not alone on the whole wheel choice thing :joy: but yeah it’s a good base to work with.

Interior LED kit arrived this morning so will be fitting that this evening.

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
Any side shots with the new wheels?

Are they comps?
Will try and sort a side profile shot of it at some stage. They're Rotiform SIXs. I had a set of Comp MO6s on my old Focus and wanted something similar and these ticked that box :grinning:

Mixed progress this evening. Fitted some of my interior LEDs. Didn't realise the kit i ordered had the wrong bulbs for the rear lights. Seems they are festoons to suit older cars without the interior alarm sensors. Also the boot light wasn't working previously so I thought it was a blown bulb but even with the LED it isn't working. I did try flipping the LED in case it was a polarity issue but that didn't sort it and I tried with the interior lights set to constantly on in case it was an issue with the bootlid micro switch but still nothing 8-(

Also, whoever designed the glovebox light assembly clearly was a sadist :joy: Popped the unit out and it split into four pieces and refuses to go back together so I think I'll just pick up a replacement lol

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
So managed to attend to a few bits over the past few days.

Got my wind deflectors mid week and fit them up.

Before:

530412FD-BD23-46B1-976D-D8E0AEC727DC.jpeg

After:

1D1FAB99-2CB0-4919-8971-E9013BDA12C9.jpeg

Also got my GPS antenna and fitting kit for the Appradio I had sat for the car so fit that too.

BCE8B8C5-53A5-408F-A802-322D03D1D485.jpeg

Bit more up to date than the old cassette and CD changer combo it had originally!

Finally, I was searching on a whim during the week and stumbled across a W8 listed for breaking and immediately message the seller about the headlights as I had always wanted a set but the vast majority were commanding silly money. Went to view them, a deal was struck and they were mine!

So spent today disassembling the front end to fit them.

Quick comparison of the original lamps and the W8s:

81537029-0891-4ED8-84F1-A0944E1A929A.jpeg

Also, since the Rotiforms are missing a centre cap at the moment, and I plan on attending the GTINI meet at Castlewellan on Saturday, I decided to switch back to the Bistars for the full Ex-Traffic branch effect

C81E2F1A-4FFB-442F-B1DA-BB21065BC620.jpeg

And after a coat of glaze and wax:

19D69F5D-F298-4973-823B-D632DAA103AF.jpeg

Plan is to sort the window chrome work out during the week and also sort the front grille too plus maybe even get the windows tinted.

Also, if anyone has any advice on brake upgrades for this I’d appreciate it. I’m aware of the 312mm upgrade some people do but wanted to confirm if it’s just a case of upgrading the carriers and discs and then reusing the existing calliper and pad.

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
Few minor updates on the Passat. Still loving it, especially with my work finding me on the A1 to Newry a few times in the past couple of weeks and the car has soaked up the miles.

I did get around to having the chrome wrapped by Lee at Slicker Stickers and I also had the windows tinted elsewhere prior to Castlewellan. Can't say I was terribly impressed by the job done by the fella who tinted the windows especially as it took him two attempts to complete the work and evn now they still aren't right :pensive:

Still a couple of photos of how it looks now:

43280341432_ed0ee9a956_b.jpg

43280338672_90636e28cb_b.jpg

I also managed to pick up a spare front bumper and US rub strips in the past couple of weeks:

42426293335_b321ef1834_b.jpg

I bought a dremel and set to work cutting the bumper to allow clearance for the marker lights and I intend to also set to work on smoothing the plate recess soon enough as well but I'm not in that mad of a hurry really:

42612700054_ca8349c938_b.jpg

That more or less brings things up to date bar replacing the aerial due to the original's seal splitting and then replacing the glovebox light after the original split into pieces. Thrilling I know :joy: I'm also trying to see about maybe picking up a set of coilovers for it to bring it down a touch more but again, all in good time.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Still one of the best and most reliable cars VW ever built. I wouldn't bother with coilovers, it's fine the way it sits and the car will thank you for it.

Reactions: dub

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Brake upgrade for the 312’s are just caliper mounting brackets if you’ve the 288’s. Same caliper and pads, just discs need changed. I’d them on my v5 and v6 as oe, they were grand on the v5, not man enough on the v6 if I’m honest.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Those other wheels were awful. I like that you've seen sense and gone back to the VW ones.

Reactions: dub