Back End Sliding Out?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
A few times I’ve been caught out on corners (and a roundabout this morning) where the back end of the Tiguan has slid out. It’s been at pretty low speed, and therefore sadly not due to talent.

could this be an alignment issue? The only other thing I can think of is that I have proper winter tyres on the front, and all seasons in the rear. I know you’re not meant to have winters on the front axle and summer tyres on the rear, but I assumed all season would be ok? They’re M&S rated. Plus the roads are only slightly greasy, it hasn’t even been on ice!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
First thing I would check are pressures. Did it do it with the last wheels?

Maybe it's me just being fussy but I wouldn't even have differently worn tyres on a 4x4 never mind different brands. Maybe it's messing with the 4wd settings

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
First thing I would check are pressures. Did it do it with the last wheels?

Maybe it's me just being fussy but I wouldn't even have differently worn tyres on a 4x4 never mind different brands. Maybe it's messing with the 4wd settings

No, but then its only done it 3 times on these wheels and I mightn't have been in the same situation. The most sensible thing would be to swap the other wheels back on, but thats a complete PITA :joy: . Pretty sure I checked the pressures before I fitted the wheels, but will have another look tonight.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wasn’t really happy with that myself so will just get a couple more proper winters.

though I’m surprised it would have that affect on a slightly damp road!

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Doesn't sound to me like you're pushing anywhere near hard enough to be taking a decent brand of all-season tyres to their limits, even on wet or greasy roads you should be moving decent before things get fun. Alignment? what type of tyre?

i horse round templepatrick roundabout couple times every day in all weathers, infiniti Q30 or a hyndai kona and sadly nothing that exciting EVER happens to me and the tyres on the infiniti are almost shag*ed.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
If its either the Hillsborough or ballymena roundabout I wouldnt worry, pretty sure you would slide walking round them.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Roads are greasy and even my big S80 has wanted to turn in to a drifty wagon unexpectedly a couple of times recently. I remember @RubberLover had said about only fitting full sets of winter tyres for this reason. He might be able to shed some light on it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Doesn't sound to me like you're pushing anywhere near hard enough to be taking a decent brand of all-season tyres to their limits, even on wet or greasy roads you should be moving decent before things get fun. Alignment? what type of tyre?

i horse round templepatrick roundabout couple times every day in all weathers, infiniti Q30 or a hyndai kona and sadly nothing that exciting EVER happens to me and the tyres on the infiniti are almost shag*ed.

Aye honestly, I was barely moving when it happened this morning.

Is your Tiguan 4x4 of fwd?

If its either the Hillsborough or ballymena roundabout I wouldnt worry, pretty sure you would slide walking round them.

Hillsborough is wild!
Is your Tiguan 4x4 of fwd?

*goes to check there is a prop shaft*

🤦‍♂️😂

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
A few times I’ve been caught out on corners (and a roundabout this morning) where the back end of the Tiguan has slid out. It’s been at pretty low speed, and therefore sadly not due to talent.

could this be an alignment issue? The only other thing I can think of is that I have proper winter tyres on the front, and all seasons in the rear. I know you’re not meant to have winters on the front axle and summer tyres on the rear, but I assumed all season would be ok? They’re M&S rated. Plus the roads are only slightly greasy, it hasn’t even been on ice!

It's the mixed tyres for sure. On a FWD car the issue wouldn't be that noticeable, but on a 4WD it's compounded by much enhanced grip at the front exaggerating the effect of the driven wheels at the rear having less traction on greasy roads.

ADAC in Germany (similar institution to our AA) ran a report a few years back on using mixed tyres on 4WD vehicles and in the case of winter tyres on the front mixed with seasonal tyres, the results were shockingly bad. They would never recommend mixing them, and if you must, put the winter ones on the rear as the risk from loss of traction at the rear is much greater than the front - most people can handle a bit of understeer. not so much the vehicle swapping ends.

As said, take 20 mins and swap them round some evening, you'll know straight away for sure.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Steer into the skid. If any consolation I have done some proper accidental power slides in the big V6 Trooper this week.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Is this a first generation Tiguan? We had one a while back, in the snow it was great craic, if the front wheels lost traction it connected up the rear axle quickly, if cornering that meant oversteer, all of this is in a field with the esp off however, there were never any antics like that on the road.

RubberLover

RMS Regular
M+S can be misleading, a proper all season will be winter approved and have the TPMSF symbol.
A182819C-F13F-4410-9E54-0B739DC0AB13.png

What make and model tyre is it?

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Greasy roads round my work, they’re building there. The X3 has been doing the exact same, but just around there. I’m running Pirelli Sotto zeros on all 4 corners, so in my case is definitely just the state of those particular roads..

Edit: also, you might want to rethink that M3 idea 😜

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Roads were definately particularly greasy this morning so said the rear of the 86 so it did.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The salt is one thing but only takes a few drops of diesel to turn the roundabouts into a skating rink. You definitely see, smell and feel it when riding a motorbike.
Even a few trickles out of an overfilled car, nevermind all the vans and lorries with diesel dripping down from the filler.
And have a look at the rainbows on the yard of a Translink depot next time its raining.
Bit of a rant there, sorry,

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.