Back End Sliding Out?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Yesterday morning the roads were likely still totally freezing never mind greasy, it was about 0° around 5am so I imagine they were still cold and possibly greasy around 8.30

I had the E36 on all winters fish tail quite abit before getting back to full traction 😂 that was a straight road too lol

Guy I work with couldn't get any grip at all on his summer tyres when we both pulled away from the same set of lights, him fwd me rwd 😈

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
But at the lowest of speeds I can't imagine tyre spec coming into it unless it was pure snow or ice. My own experience of this was camber and alignment from the rear , the car would let go on a roundabout even in decent weather conditions. It lost me a sale because the guy test driving the car let off and it let go in him..upon further inspection the budget tyres didn't come into it. Proper alignment and balance and the car drove perfect. Just my 2 cents though, and wasn't 4wd either .

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Scrap the winters and just put decent tyres on

Never felt the need to waste time on winter Tyre’s here tbh

From that statement it sounds like you have never tied them. You should give them a go, I think they are a great job.
They give you that bit of extra bite to get up an icy incline, or to get stopped at a T junction, and I find them to be better at dispersing water than a summer tyre. Just there a couple of weeks ago I didn't think it was slippy, so just tried to stop for a T junction as normal but started sliding. No big deal, got stopped before the line but it made me think that maybe on summer tyres I wouldn't have got stopped and I'd have ended up 5 feet out in the middle of the road.

Martyn

RMS Regular
It’s the mismatch of cross climates and winters Ian..

Do a bit of research on the net and you will find all the evidence you need.

Basically the front of the car is gripping. The rears are breaking traction due to the different compound.

With winters you really need the same tyre and tread depth all round.

As for the comment about winters being a waste of time - lol!

Martyn

RMS Regular
You'll always comments like that from drivers that have never tried them.

My car would be a massive handful and at best a liability without winter tyres from nov to March.....

Last edited:

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
What are the rear shocks like? My Impreza had two ****ed rear shocks and sunitrac tyres on it when I bought it. Rear end slid all shapes. Nearly went over the banbridge fly over onto the carriageway chasing Hillbilly in his sunny.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Still haven't managed to get the rear tyres changed, or get an alignment done but I happened to notice the other day that 1 of the rear wheels is at a brave angle so I assume this could be a contributing factor.

Will get the alignment done when places again.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
what's the problem? a lot of people spend fortunes to get their cars to do that. keep steering and be happy, sideways is the only way.

Paul lagan

Drives
l200 jeep
A few times I’ve been caught out on corners (and a roundabout this morning) where the back end of the Tiguan has slid out. It’s been at pretty low speed, and therefore sadly not due to talent.

could this be an alignment issue? The only other thing I can think of is that I have proper winter tyres on the front, and all seasons in the rear. I know you’re not meant to have winters on the front axle and summer tyres on the rear, but I assumed all season would be ok? They’re M&S rated. Plus the roads are only slightly greasy, it hasn’t even been on ice!
I got pulled over in Cairnryan last week doing 56 in a 30 and for overtaking 2cars in wet conditions what do u think the outcome will be there and can I get points on my ni license

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.