DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
It does like like it was great fun though. Anyone have whiplash the next day?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
4 new tyres for £160+ or 4 wheels with 4 nearly new tyres for £95?

Both mk4' golfs needed new front tyres. Today's purchase..

Screenshot_20210912_134551_com.facebook.katana.jpg

IMG_20210912_164606.jpg

Plus the wheels are in better nick than mine.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Just always amuses me when you see people doing that demo derbies etc and nothing wrong with them after, but roll into some twisted git at 1mph and they're into you for £10k claim

claiming off competitors would soon spell and end to the sport though. You can bet some of them wake up pretty sore.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Bangernomics.
Even on my banger I couldn’t run no-name budgets. Prefer the better braking performance that a non-budget gives. Not often you’ll have to slam on the anchors and do an emergency stop but id rather have them and never need them, than need them not have them. Price isn’t that big a difference when you work it out per mile either.

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Been practicing bangernomics for a few years now and honestly think it's the way forward lol. Had to SORN the Touareg after separating from the wife to sort a bit of financial strife so went to my mechanic to see about a Vectra he had that was for sale for £650. While I was there he happened to mention this wee Fiesta he had in too. 35000 miles and he wanted £450 for it. It was in great condition with only 1 owner and a small amount of rust that was purely cosmetic. Figured I could buy, tax and insure the Fiesta for what he wanted for the Vectra so made sense as stretching pennies was the aim of the game at the time.

I only wanted it for running to and fro from work and running the kids about (the worst sort of journeys for the Touareg) but ended up helping out with animal rescues and at one point was doing 2 - 3 trips to Donegal a week in it which it done grand but something a bit bigger and better suited to that sort of milage was needed.
IMG_0061.jpeg

So I happened to look on Facebook one morning around March 2020 and my mechanic had put up an add to sell the Vectra that I had originally intended to buy. I thought with all the trips to Donegal and with a grandchild needing a car seat etc, the extra space would be nice and it would be a slightly more relaxing whip to be sat on the motorway at slightly above legal speeds. So a deal was done to swap the Fiesta and £200 and the Vectra was mine. 2008 1.8 Vectra Life with 86000 on the clock. Base model but had the bonus of cruise control and a timing belt change less than 2k before I bought it.

Fast forward 18 months to today and the Vectra has 101000 miles on it now, a Mot as from the start of August and working AC. I've spent a few bob on things like brake pipes and new shocks on the rear and a burst radiator (which prompted fixing the AC at the same time as the front was in pieces so why not). I am having thoughts of treating myself to something nice like a newer Touareg or an A5 but am enjoying the fact that I'm only paying tax, insurance, fuel and borkage for the Vectra with out a big monthly repayment on top. So the bangernomics will continue for a while yet !

90507091_3434846583209186_1258941500998287360_o.jpg

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Even on my banger I couldn’t run no-name budgets. Prefer the better braking performance that a non-budget gives. Not often you’ll have to slam on the anchors and do an emergency stop but id rather have them and never need them, than need them not have them. Price isn’t that big a difference when you work it out per mile either.

I put continentals on the front of mine last time. They didn't last as long as the budgets that were on the car when I bought it. I know that's not the point you're making but these will do a turn.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
claiming off competitors would soon spell and end to the sport though. You can bet some of them wake up pretty sore.
Didn't mean that dude, not expecting anyone to claim of mates or competitors in a race, meant that folk can do that and are grand afterwards and I'm sure they take some pretty hard smacks, but folks get away with claiming for the slightest scrape on the roads.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Didn't mean that dude, not expecting anyone to claim of mates or competitors in a race, meant that folk can do that and are grand afterwards and I'm sure they take some pretty hard smacks, but folks get away with claiming for the slightest scrape on the roads.

yea, but the banger guys aren't fine really. They just brush it off. I've had a few quarry cars in years gone by...and at the end of it neither the car nor myself were ok lol. But you just get on with it.

But that's just how the insurance industry works, they want the false claims, as too many people in the chain profit from it

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Unfortunately, like most, the price of 90s Toyotas is rising. 8 years ago I bought this from a scrapyard for £400, saved it from the crusher, only 47k miles. Been driving it daily since then, all it costs me is tyres and an MOT every year and the odd oil change when I can be assed. Ice cold AC, everything works, comfortable, 36mpg, what more do you need? I think it’s paid for itself many times over in my ownership.
View attachment 334974
That's not you just outside Waringstown is it?

AlanT

RMS Member
Drives
VW Golf
Bought a 2003 mk4 Golf 1.9tdi 130bhp back in June with the intention of using it for short runs to the shops etc.

I paid £750 for the car which came with a good service history and 12 months MOT. At the time I though I'll just fix whatever needs fixed to keep the car roadworthy. That didn't last long. Thaks to @purplea4T for suppling various trim pieces and parts to get the windows working. Car has also had a new SMIC, replacememt seats and various other small repairs.

I know I'm going to far now as I've various pieces of the dash lying about the garage being repainted.

The front wings are starting to go and the NSR has been poorly repaired in the past. I reckon it's only a matter of time before these get done.

Meanwhile my "good car" hasn't moved in nearly a month.
IMG_20210701_232236~2.jpg

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I had many a cheap ****box over the years, I honestly couldn’t go back to it now 😂 if I had the know how to actually fix the stuff myself when it breaks it would take a lot of the stress and hassle out of it.

I did recently buy a Fiat Secincento for a few hundred and drive about 700 miles in two days and it never missed a beat 😂 but boy was I glad to get back out of it again.

I love the driving experience of older stuff when I’m in the mood for it but you just can’t beat a modern car with Radar cruise, heated seats, decent stereo etc when doing plenty of miles.

Ive put 17k on the M4 in 7 months and it hasn’t missed a beat, totally comfortable, handy enough to run etc. Couldn’t imagine going back to doing that in something worth a few grand lol

Plus I look back at my car every single time I get out of it, that itself makes it worth every penny, I enjoy it 100% of its ownership

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
So, hear me out.

This is a few years ago now but I was on the hunt for a daily over the winter - nothing fancy, literally just something that would get me from A to B.

One of my neighbours had this absolute weapon sitting in his garden for months so I just asked the question. £180 changed hands and I got myself possibly the best car I’ve ever owned, and a racey S Line model too 😂

This thing took the biggest hammering you’ve ever seen - she had the tightest handbrake imaginable and hit every hedge, fence, kerb, sign and wall in the backroads above Carrick during the snow. Best part is, got checked for MOT after all the abuse - only thing it needed was a rear wiper blade 😂

Some of the best fun I’ve genuinely ever had - I’ve always said the sh1t cars are the best.

1E2A9C61-2600-4325-939A-C2D9E449C677.jpeg
E068A84F-71D0-45DE-9F41-BD10DCE082B2.jpeg
9740F264-4355-434D-89B3-844C4507D74E.jpeg
434EA3F0-C94C-4470-ABAA-31E118F96FBB.jpeg

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
Bought a cheap TT last year and its failed mot with a laundry list some highlights include Offside sill rusted and emissions outside legal limits, that 2 / 8 majors it failed on.
20200522_183451.jpg