Banging on 306

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Demon On Wheels

ive got a 98 306 and when the front passanger wheel goes over bumps it bangs. loudly!

i was thinkin suspension bushings but ive never herd what it sounds like when they go... saying that, i aint taken a proper look yet cus of the dark so it could be the rubber mounting on the spring has fallen out and the spring is banging against the bare metal :?

any ideas?

btw, the car's not lowered or anything...

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It's probably the drop link, they go on 306's all the time! It's a bar that runs down behind the strut, easy enough to change yourself!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
They are not dear, about 8 quid from an ordinary motor factors, or 24 from Pug themselves although the Pug ones last longer!
It's hard to say what it is without actually hearing it, but it more than likely is the drop link.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
kerzo said:
is there drop links on the rear as well?
If the back is banging over bumps then it is the bushings on the back axle, 30 notes each.

Demon On Wheels

OP
D
it sounds and feels nasty. like it could be doin serious damage... ill take a proper look in the morning. will i be able to see any damage to the drop link if thats wots rong?

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
amg306 said:
kerzo said:
is there drop links on the rear as well?
If the back is banging over bumps then it is the bushings on the back axle, 30 notes each.

well it sounds like it is only the left one so suppose that aint all bad :lol:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It won't look damaged as it is just a thin bar, with a rubber ring round a bolt at each end. It's the bottom one that does most of the work, so if you take it off, and if the bolt moves very easily then it's f*cked!

Demon On Wheels

OP
D
went to take it off and the alan key i was using (must have been too small) twisted the bolt thing so now i cant take it off or tighten it back up. wot the feck do i do now?!

Ev206

RMS Regular
A Grinder will take it off, it's prob not an alan key either, more than likely it's a torx bit

Demon On Wheels

OP
D
nah it was an alan key cus i looked at the other 1. they key wasnt too small either, its just that the thing musta been made outa tin foil cus the other 1 did exactly the same thing. i just used a pair of vice grips and its all sorted now.

new drop link was £12 but at least this 1 isnt made of plastic!

thanks for your help every1!

Yeungster

can't be bothered reading the replies, but it'll be the drop links! They're plastic and always snap! Around £6 from euro car parts

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.