Batteries

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
Need recommendations for a new battery. Da doesnt drive his car much amd his battery is dead almost every time he goes to use it even if its been sitting for 2 days. Looked in eurocarparts and seen batteries at 300 quid which he wont pay. Is it possible to get a good battery for much cheaper?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
What's the car and engine in it? All cars have different ones with different cold cranking amps, capacities, and external dimensions etc. If its a car with stop/start it will be a bigger more expensive battery. He might have to pay the £300 as if he doesn't he'll have a car sized paperweight.

colin84

RMS Regular
Sounds like there is a drain on the battery, shouldn't be going dead in 2 days.

vtec1

RMS Regular
OP
vtec1
Drives
Focus st
Been goin on a while. Battery is most likely done

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Ive been using Midac batteries in most things this past couple of years, and I think I’ve bought about 6 or 7 of them, maybe more. Awesome batteries, and even in vehicles that aren’t used from 1 month to the next, they crank over like they’ve only been switched off for 10 mins.

Cookie Munster

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo / Forza
You could try Tayna batteries, got a few car and bike batteries from them. Even after postage they were still nearly 50% cheaper than Eurocarparts

vtec1

RMS Regular
OP
vtec1
Drives
Focus st
What's the car and engine in it? All cars have different ones with different cold cranking amps, capacities, and external dimensions etc. If its a car with stop/start it will be a bigger more expensive battery. He might have to pay the £300 as if he doesn't he'll have a car sized paperweight.
Just a citroen c2 with a key start

vtec1

RMS Regular
OP
vtec1
Drives
Focus st
Ive been using Midac batteries in most things this past couple of years, and I think I’ve bought about 6 or 7 of them, maybe more. Awesome batteries, and even in vehicles that aren’t used from 1 month to the next, they crank over like they’ve only been switched off for 10 mins.
They need to be bought from Midec?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
go to your local motor factors and price something like a Yuasa

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
Battery world north queen street Belfast.

Usually get a cheaper price when you call them too

Last edited:

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
euro parts isn’t that bad some off there bosch battery’s have a 3/4 year guarantee

i had on it went flat and would t take a charge as long as you have the receipt they change it free of charge

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
Battery world are the same - 4 year warranty. They mark the battery with some code so that if you lose the receipt they are able to tell when the battery was bought.

Ps I’m nothing to do with them, just got great service and price.

vtec1

RMS Regular
OP
vtec1
Drives
Focus st
Battery world north queen street Belfast.

Usually get a cheaper price when you call them too
I got a battery there and it died within 5 months

Reactions: PDK

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I really rate the Halfords batteries, had a few of them and even after 10 years are still working great - Personal experience! And with a trade card are reasonably affordable.

Out of interest, a normal C2 would probably have an 063 in it, who quoted £300 for a battery????

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Always used Tayna myself. Varta + delivery usually works out considerably cheaper than anything local too. Need to order one up for the golf.

gerryp

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997
My mother needs a battery for her VW Fox.
Less than £50 from eurocarparts.
I would think it would be similar in size to what your after.

markmeus

RMS Regular
Those wee cars are usually something like an 063, should be around £40 from a local motor factors.

vtec1

RMS Regular
OP
vtec1
Drives
Focus st
I really rate the Halfords batteries, had a few of them and even after 10 years are still working great - Personal experience! And with a trade card are reasonably affordable.

Out of interest, a normal C2 would probably have an 063 in it, who quoted £300 for a battery????
Just see the high end ones on eurocarparts at 300 odd
Those wee cars are usually something like an 063, should be around £40 from a local motor factors.
Car doesnt get used much. So dont want a cheap crappy one that will drain and need bumped or charged everytime he needs to use his car
They not replace it?
Had no receipt and didn't know about the exchange by stamp on the battery

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Avoid budget batteries, stick to Varta/Bosch or Yuasa.

We’ve been selling Varta for 40 years, they’re still the best automotive battery out there.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
If it’s sitting laid up consider a wee solar charger to trickle topup?

Some of em have attachment to plug into cigarette lighter and charge that way, can then just set it on the dash