Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
In that case I'll leave it and see how the lines route with it in. Thanks!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
@Coog are you watching the money pit series on donut media on YouTube?
They are prep’n for turbo’n a mk1 and going down a similar route to you. Some silly episodes but also some ‘upgraded oil cooler : are they worth it’ episodes. Might be of interest to you

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
@Coog are you watching the money pit series on donut media on YouTube?
They are prep’n for turbo’n a mk1 and going down a similar route to you. Some silly episodes but also some ‘upgraded oil cooler : are they worth it’ episodes. Might be of interest to you

No haven't been watching it but just searched for it there and found the oil cooler video. Made it look a lot easier than it was for me lol! Must be a 1.8.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
How'd you get away with those tyres??

That was in Wales and their attitude is to stick to Road Rally rules which means if it's e-marked and on list 1A or list 6 (Gravel), it's OK. The 116 is effectively a gravel event, quite rough and you need the proper gravel tyres for it. Pretty much all the cars there had full gravel tyres bar a few who suffered badly with punctures and a complete lack of grip. Completely different ball game to the events here where they choose to stick to road tyres so people can run using stuff they have pulled out of the skip round the back of their local tyre depot. Then you see people going through fences, hedges and attempting to keep running between tests with damage.
It's the event regs here that dictate using road tyres generally and then they are 'worried that landowners will get their ground damaged with knobbly tyres'. Honestly, if you run 80 cars over a gravel test 3 times, there will be very little difference with the tyres they are using. I got pulled by the scrutineers in Magherafelt a couple of years back because I had pretty aggressive winters on. I'd put them on because the previous year, they had their event running through Glenshane and Davagh forests. Winters are within the regs here but I got a tug anyway. I had to explain it to them that they were within the regs etc but the event was on a series of old muddy concrete airfield sections and my tyres were the wrong ones for the event anyway.
Sorry, the subject of tyres on targas sort of boils my piss a bit.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
No haven't been watching it but just searched for it there and found the oil cooler video. Made it look a lot easier than it was for me lol! Must be a 1.8.

couple of cool videos if you scroll past random challenges. They uprated full coolant system and arbs etc and compared differences. Think they went down mega squirt route also

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
couple of cool videos if you scroll past random challenges. They uprated full coolant system and arbs etc and compared differences. Think they went down mega squirt route also

Struggling to find a local tuner for mine, might regret the decision to use something that uses tunerstudio in future but won't worry about it at the minute. 8o|

In fairness I've beat on it relentlessly for years and never had any problems bar blowing one hose and a radiator bursting after a 30 minute diff / burnout / wrecking session. No idea what oil temps were before but figured it'll do no harm and be there for when the turbo eventually does go in.

It's about getting as much reliable track time as possible. Last time at mondello I had a ball lapping and lapping and only had to stop once for fuel and the second time when the clutch fork went through the pressure plate. Previously it was others putting a stop to play by crashing but not much you can do about that. Time's at a premium when you can only get away to do one or two track days a year lol

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Struggling to find a local tuner for mine, might regret the decision to use something that uses tunerstudio in future but won't worry about it at the minute. 8o|

In fairness I've beat on it relentlessly for years and never had any problems bar blowing one hose and a radiator bursting after a 30 minute diff / burnout / wrecking session. No idea what oil temps were before but figured it'll do no harm and be there for when the turbo eventually does go in.

It's about getting as much reliable track time as possible. Last time at mondello I had a ball lapping and lapping and only had to stop once for fuel and the second time when the clutch fork went through the pressure plate. Previously it was others putting a stop to play by crashing but not much you can do about that. Time's at a premium when you can only get away to do one or two track days a year lol

yeah suppose our cool climate helps. In that donut episode it was like mid 90’s lol rad is having to work a little harder there lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
TBH, in all the autotests, targas etc that I've done in mine, the only things that have given bother are a rusted through water pipe and a clutch. Everything else was damage inflicted by me.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
TBH, in all the autotests, targas etc that I've done in mine, the only things that have given bother are a rusted through water pipe and a clutch. Everything else was damage inflicted by me.

I've done away with those wee pipes now. They were super crusty lol. One on the water pump outlet has been removed and sealed and the one on the thermostat gone with the reroute.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
That was in Wales and their attitude is to stick to Road Rally rules which means if it's e-marked and on list 1A or list 6 (Gravel), it's OK. The 116 is effectively a gravel event, quite rough and you need the proper gravel tyres for it. Pretty much all the cars there had full gravel tyres bar a few who suffered badly with punctures and a complete lack of grip. Completely different ball game to the events here where they choose to stick to road tyres so people can run using stuff they have pulled out of the skip round the back of their local tyre depot. Then you see people going through fences, hedges and attempting to keep running between tests with damage.
It's the event regs here that dictate using road tyres generally and then they are 'worried that landowners will get their ground damaged with knobbly tyres'. Honestly, if you run 80 cars over a gravel test 3 times, there will be very little difference with the tyres they are using. I got pulled by the scrutineers in Magherafelt a couple of years back because I had pretty aggressive winters on. I'd put them on because the previous year, they had their event running through Glenshane and Davagh forests. Winters are within the regs here but I got a tug anyway. I had to explain it to them that they were within the regs etc but the event was on a series of old muddy concrete airfield sections and my tyres were the wrong ones for the event anyway.
Sorry, the subject of tyres on targas sort of boils my piss a bit.

I think the MC i was involved with had to resurface a lane in the past over damage done on one of the early events.

When we ran in Baronscourt it got pretty cut up too in parts on road tyres.

Targa regs have a few questionable bits tbh, and the early days of 'lanes' events where there weren't as many silly restrictions on engines had some variety at least!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The Welsh guys seem to have very enthusiastic land owners who understand that there will be damage and that it will be put right by the club or themselves.

Sorry for hijacking the thread @Coog 8o|

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
The Welsh guys seem to have very enthusiastic land owners who understand that there will be damage and that it will be put right by the club or themselves.

Sorry for hijacking the thread @Coog 8o|

Not at all it's all good stuff

KevM

RMS Regular
I think the MC i was involved with had to resurface a lane in the past over damage done on one of the early events.

When we ran in Baronscourt it got pretty cut up too in parts on road tyres.

Targa regs have a few questionable bits tbh, and the early days of 'lanes' events where there weren't as many silly restrictions on engines had some variety at least!

Baronscourt was unreal! It has to be said.... (Sorry Coog - lol)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
ECU went in today. It slots inside the old housing. Just needed to drill a hole to run the wideband, map hose and USB

Old ECU

20201025_113331.jpg

20201025_113834.jpg

New ECU in the housing

20201025_114738.jpg

And in the car

20201025_115930.jpg

Got the oil cooler mounted as well.

Might not run an undertray with the way its positioned. Is this a bad idea?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
ECU went in today. It slots inside the old housing. Just needed to drill a hole to run the wideband, map hose and USB

Old ECU

View attachment 299924
View attachment 299923

New ECU in the housing

View attachment 299922

And in the car

View attachment 299921

Got the oil cooler mounted as well.

Might not run an undertray with the way its positioned. Is this a bad idea?
Undertray as in engine undertray? I dont think it would be an issue to run without it. I ran mine daily for a few years without one.

I out a bit of a brute of a sump guard on but that was more for targas. Makes it very handy to be very lazy jacking the car up too 😂

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Undertray as in engine undertray? I dont think it would be an issue to run without it. I ran mine daily for a few years without one.

I out a bit of a brute of a sump guard on but that was more for targas. Makes it very handy to be very lazy jacking the car up too 😂

Yeah the wee plastic yoke. Only concern is air flow but I've seen loads run without them

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Engine back in. Coolant reroute royally fecked progress and had to be stripped off as it was hitting the bulkhead and not allowing lineup on the engine mounts. Caused lots and lots of swearing.

Anyway it's in now and just working round connecting all the plugs and hoses, making brackets for the reroute hoses and whatnot.

Still no turbo. Not sure if I should pause work until I get something or plough on and get it going NA for a while till I build the turbo parts up. I think it'll irritate me sitting incomplete!

20201113_114408.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Bad craic with the coolant reroute, I take it you got it on ok as I can see the hose alright.
Good work.
NA powah yo

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Bad craic with the coolant reroute, I take it you got it on ok as I can see the hose alright.
Good work.
NA powah yo

Yeah got it on alright just wasnt for working fitted. Thought I was being clever fitting it while the engine was out lol

Who's reroute kit did you use?

Skidnation. I've binned all the wee hoses and bypassed the heater so it's going to be pretty much useless in anything other than a track environment now. Which is fine I'm trying to simplify it as much as possible.

Also got the thermostatic oil cooler plumbed in. Glad I did that pre work when the engine was out!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Have one to fit to mine so will keep that in mind. (y)

Skidnation one?

The instructions with it were s***e. The hose needs trimmed and the version I got doesn't say where to trim it. The bracket with it needed 're-engineered' and brake lines needed a gentle spot of massaging. The route it takes is pretty busy (more so now with the oil cooler) so it's hard to keep it away from other engine things. Think I'll lap the bits that are close to other parts with some self amalgamating tape.

Also access to the back of the head is tight and then I went with the core plug and retainer plate at the front to do away with the t/stat neck. That bit was missing from the kit and took 3 weeks to arrive. Covids fault apparently.

Overall I'd give it a Haynes 4/5 spanners. Seemed much more of a pain in the arse than it really should have been!