Becker Problems! (Already)!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

casper-ac

RMS Regular
Hi all,
OK i got my becker fitted on saturday by Audio Advice...really happy,
except for a couple of wee thing!
My remote Central locking now does not work and
the old HU used to turn off when the key was pulled out and turn on when the key was turned,
the new one has to be turned on and off manually
Im guessing these problems are related...
see the below extracts from a thread on ukmkivs.net
Can someone give me a little advice. Have just purchased a becker mexico pro. After removing the gamma unit and fitting the becker the stereo worked fine. Listened to it for a while.After turning it of and shutting the door the alarm would not work. Refitted the gamma unit and the alarm worked fine. Any ideas what I have done wrong.
rob

Sounds to me as if you haven’t disconnected the Gala wire (diagnostic wire)

Sorry to sound dumb but what is the gala wire? What colour is it? whats it do? and why does it interfere with the alarm?
Sorry for so many questions..

tho it probably sounds pedantic and simple, make sure you use an adaptor loom and DONT just plug the loom of your car straight into the back of the becker - even tho it fits, some of the pins are different ways round!
As golfv5 said, it is probably the gala wire - not sure what colour this is, but it is (unless im mistaken) what transmits the speed pulse to the head unit (which in turn tells it to turn the volume up when your speed increases). The becker has this feature too, but i believe (from memory at least) that it is on a different pin than the gamma equilivant.
Calum.

Thanks for that guys. Yes I had plugged the vw plugs into the back of the becker. Also just spoke to a good friend at a stereo shop and he told me the same so thanks again. Must use this forum more often its brilliant.

Mine is the same - dont plug the gamma wires straight in!!!

So this has cropped up before but i thought getting (and PAYING) AA would avoid any problems!
I knew about this before but i totally forgot to check before i left and only discovered it later that evening...
Now usually it wouldnt be a problem but portadown is well over an hours drive away, and since i work thru the week saturday is the only free day
Also due to being a little down in the bank balance diesel is precious so the drive doesnt really appeal to me...

Anyone any ideas on what to do if it is a simple enough job ie swapping/disconnecting a couple of wires!
its just frustrating haveing to lock and unlock the car manually and turn on and off the HU at its power button!
Simple things but since i paid AA to do the job to avoid me making a balls of it i wanted it done right the first time!

All help appreciated!
Cheers
Andrew

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OP
casper-ac
because like i said,
ive no time through the week and its about a 3 hour round trip, costing time and money (so thats sorta a last resort, unless they wanna compensate me money for diesel)

pablo

RMS Moderator
I cant see any alternative really. you will jsut have to free up some hours from your busy schedule :p

Martyn

RMS Regular
Its pretty simple.

They have just connected the iso conector into the Head Unit. On the Mk4 golf this doesn't work.

You need a iso adapter from autoleads which swaps a few wires around....

Sorry I can't be of anymore help - I had exactly the same problem with my becker in my mk4 golf.

Halfords will have the autoleads adapter for approx £10

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OP
casper-ac
its not even the time its the lippin cost of diesel and mileage!
ive phoned them and have to phone them back if they could have got me a wiring diagram etc i could have swapped/disconnect wires myself...

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OP
casper-ac
Ok just off the phone to them and il maybe ring them at lunch regarding the autoleads job,
I wonder but have they disconnected anywires which the autoleads adapter needs to have plugged in if you know what i mean...il probably just have to end up going down anyway,
it seemed complicated to talk through on the phone!
lenny, if i buy this adapter then is it a matter of plugging in the 2 ends and hey presto?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Andy, dont be buying an adapter!

Its a 2 second job of swapping two wires round ont he ISO block.

Ill look for the link...

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OP
casper-ac
yes but the becker is different pablo apparently i know this much, most HU do plug in directly but not the becker.
figures like... a 300quid piece of quipement and its not designed to fit directly in!
darn it

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OP
casper-ac
and wrt warranty...im going to hopefully find out what i have to do on the phone and then discuss with them if this voids the warranty etc...
which hopefully it doesnt if ya can get my the link mr lyonso then that would be good cheers!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
yes but the becker is different pablo apparently i know this much, most HU do plug in directly but not the becker.
figures like... a 300quid piece of quipement and its not designed to fit directly in!
darn it

Balls, i forgot the ISO plugs straight into the back of the Becker.

You need to make sure the K-Line wire isnt connected to anything on the Becker.

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OP
casper-ac
colour/despription of Kline wire...would that be also known as a diagnostic wire or a gala wire?
if so then i think that is the problem, at least with teh remote locking, but will that sort out the power issue too?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Not sure about power, but defintiely central locking.

I cant remembe rif my Becker worked with ignition or not. Personally i prefer if it isnt, as it means you can listen without the key.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I would take it to them, you paid them to fit it, let them sort it.

Diesel is not that expensive FFS, you are getting at least 45mpg i bet :p

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OP
casper-ac
well im getting 60mpg probably and southern diesel too but still i paid them to fit it right the first time.
if it was just a matter of 2 wires and job done then that'd do but if it sounds more complicated then il be down on wed nite...
will the whole set up be alrite to then...nohing has blown or anything since saturday so i presume fuses etc will be fine for another few days

the stnd head unit wen on without the key too lyons but it went off when the key was pulled out and on when it was turned on, its that feature i like, annoying having to turn off and on manually when ur used to the other!especially when ur in a hurry!

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
cartunes was goin to explain to me how to do it in mine when i put the new stereo in. drop him a pm if you're not sure, he knows his stuff

Pete

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Send me a clear digital pic of the rear of the stereo, showing the connector at the rear, a scan of the wiring instructions of the becker and I will send you back a message explaining exactly what to do!!
It is easy, but only if u know how.
Cheers
Del

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.