Best Garage Floor Paint

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
Looking for suggestions for the best garage floor paint.

The floor is well worn concrete, so paint needs to be hard wearing, oil resistant and non-slip.

Garage is very big, so industrial sized containers are probably needed.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
also interested as iv mine to do soon, thinking epoxy but will see whats posted on here

dddrrift

RMS Regular
I used the red ronseal stuff a few years ago and my garage was like an ice rink for months!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I used the red ronseal stuff a few years ago and my garage was like an ice rink for months!
If doing 2 coats you could scatter sand after the first while still wet. Then 2nd coat which should give a bit of grip. Bit sorer on knees and probably more likely to lift when turning wheels but it'll will cure the slippiness.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi

JD.

RMS Regular
I posted this in the Workshop/Garage thread:

I used the Leyland stuff and couldn't be happier. Have had 2 coats down for about a year now and looking to re-coat it to keep it looking fresh. I reckon 1 coat a year will do the job. Looked into epoxy, porcelain tiles etc but can't fault the Leyland stuff for the price!

For anyone who is wondering what way to do their floor I did the following on my newly-poured concrete floor:

- Waited a few months for the floor to dry properly

- Put down Everbuild Concrete Hardener and Dustproofer. This should be done after a good sweep and hoover of the floor. This basically turns the weak top layer of concrete into a more solid layer and means the paint will adhere to it better. Everbuild CHD5L Concrete Hardener and Dustproofer 403 5L: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

- Applied Leyland Trade Heavy Duty Floor Paint. I did a bit of reading and found that an oil-based paint was needed in order to adhere to the floor now I had put a densifier on it. http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-heavy-duty-floor-paint-slate-5ltr/49596

The main advantage to this is that it is cheap. It isn't the most chip-resistant floor, but it is so cheap that you don't mind doing the odd touch-up.
I

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I posted this in the Workshop/Garage thread:

I

How are you getting on with the Leyland Floor Paint a Year later?

Next few weeks my garage will be pretty cleared out so thinking it would be a good time to get the floor painted!

JD.

RMS Regular

Next few weeks my garage will be pretty cleared out so thinking it would be a good time to get the floor painted!

It's been down for nearly 3 years now and haven't needed to re-coat it. Have had cars in and out of it a few times a month and no lifting/peeling at all. I'm more than happy with it!

I think the key to it is the prep with Everbuild Concrete Hardener and Dustproofer. Turns all the dusty crap into a solid surface for the paint to bind to.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
It's been down for nearly 3 years now and haven't needed to re-coat it. Have had cars in and out of it a few times a month and no lifting/peeling at all. I'm more than happy with it!

I think the key to it is the prep with Everbuild Concrete Hardener and Dustproofer. Turns all the dusty crap into a solid surface for the paint to bind to.

Thank you for the Info, Great news, that should keep me busy over Easter! (y)

dddrrift

RMS Regular

I used the Leyland dark grey on mine and its been grand, none has come off or stuck to tyres. Only thing id say is expect less coverage if your floor isn't mint. Mine was better in some places than others and it really sucked it up on the bad bits!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I used the Leyland dark grey on mine and its been grand, none has come off or stuck to tyres. Only thing id say is expect less coverage if your floor isn't mint. Mine was better in some places than others and it really sucked it up on the bad bits!

Is your floor Concrete or Sand and Cement Screed?

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
My dad had used the Ronseal paint in his garage and it wasn’t great, tyres started lifting it in patches. I decided that I didn’t care about colour and just used Thompson garage concrete floor sealer and it has worked well. To be fair though no cars have been near it, just mountain bikes and lots of soaking kayak and canoeing gear.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
is the epoxy finish easily cleaned- like could it be mopped easily?
yeah - epoxy is easily cleaned.

can be slippery when wet, so its advisable to sprinkle some grip down when still wet. powdered glass is what most use, but very fine sand could be used also

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Is Epoxy a DIY job?
Anything I've read about it, you are best with a pro for the real 2 pack epoxy, especially if you want any kind of guarantee with it.
If it's just the single pot floor paint sold as "epoxy" then DIY is possible.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Thread resurrection...........IKR..............i see some Everbuild Concrete Hardener and Dustproofer mentioned in here

We are into our new house now and I HAVE A FAKIN GARAGE BAIS.............but i think i need to use some of this stuff as she is a dusty aule heure.

Where do you get this magic stuff around this area and can anyone recommend any alternatives if better?

EDIT - N/M, found it on amazon.

J

Last edited: