Best Oil For K Series

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
There's a stickied oil thread at the top which may aid in an answer apart from views here. Especially if you need an answer desperately :grinning:

Cant see it being anything fancy myself and just the usual 10/40 semi id have thought? But that link and Colin will confirm a bit better im sure :p

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
10w40 semi-synthetic but for some reason some use 5w40.

Because it's the correct oil to use in our climate as opposed to the 10w40 that most people use. It has a lower operating temp, meaning it is much more effective at lower temperatures which we are susceptible to, unlike most countries that make cars, such as Germany, France, Japan etc. that have much warmer climates...

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Personally, I'd be going for a good 5w40 such as Castrol Magnatec. It is a very good oil which ticks all the right boxes and clings to the engines internals, eliminating a dry/un-lubed start... (y)

If its something tuned or running high power/big revs around 9k+, I'd be opting for the likes of Miller's 5w30.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
This is what Rover recommend and as you have a VVC, semi-synthetic is preferred over fully synthetic:
Engine_Oil_Specs-2.jpg

C4L

RMS Regular
Because it's the correct oil to use in our climate as opposed to the 10w40 that most people use. It has a lower operating temp, meaning it is much more effective at lower temperatures which we are susceptible to

^ This.

What harm would it do to use 5w40 instead of 10w40 anyway, just gives it a wider operating range and better ability to deal with the cold which we surely get...I know what I would be buying :grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
^ This.

What harm would it do to use 5w40 instead of 10w40 anyway, just gives it a wider operating range and better ability to deal with the cold which we surely get...I know what I would be buying :grinning:

It's good to see someone else with a simple understanding of engine oils. Not many people are aware of what they are putting into their engine...

C4L

RMS Regular
I've been asked so many times by people supposedly 'into their cars' what the numbers on the oil bottles mean :scream: idiots

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
It's good to see someone else with a simple understanding of engine oils. Not many people are aware of what they are putting into their engine...
Remind me how cold we get it here in the UK and the temperature a 5w and a 10w are rated too?
Oil viscosity is important on the VVC.

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
I wouldn't stray from the grade that the manufacturer specifies - just choose a quality brand like Castrol or Fuchs and you won't go wrong. £15 will get you 5L of Fuchs Titan XTR 10w40.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Just changed mine with 10w40 Castrol Magnatec, I would love to try the millers, but I remember years ago a whole spate of problems with Millers and that always rings in my head when I consider them :worried:

Maybe just have to man up someday and use it.

hippyross

RMS Regular
When I got my mb6 civic I could tell that it wasn't vtecing right so I spoke to the last owner and he had it running on 5/40 as.soon as I put.10/40 in it was twice the car you could.hear the cross over. So in my opinion I would recommend whatever the manufacturer does. As in my case the previous owner thought he was doing a good thing by putting £40oil in

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Be more concerned about the coolant, and if you can, during your service swap out the thermostat for the PTS(?) version from the freelander.

The reason for most HGF is due to the coolant shocking the head/block due to the location of the thermostat - the PTS version almost eliminates this problem

belfastbrm

RMS Regular
OP
belfastbrm
The hg has been replaced as there was an issue with the head before,
Ive been using fuchs 10w40 to top up etc but then i read a debate on oils on mgrover and there was that much different things being said thought id ask here
Think il stick to what ive been doing

Its 1999 with only 69000 and serviced every year

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Because it's the correct oil to use in our climate as opposed to the 10w40 that most people use. It has a lower operating temp, meaning it is much more effective at lower temperatures which we are susceptible to, unlike most countries that make cars, such as Germany, France, Japan etc. that have much warmer climates...

Sorry Nicky but thats just wrong! Germany for example can be waaaaaaaaay colder than here. It can also be noticeably hotter too.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.