Best Oil for Vtec Accord 2.0

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
I know the whole oil question has been asked before but i just wanted to make sure. Should i use fully synthetic oil (mobile1, magnatec) in my accord or is there any special requirments....the reason i ask is cos i know Zetec fords are funny about oil and i'm gonna be doin BIG miles in mine so i dont want her to **** up. Thanx lads ;)

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Millers oils say semi-synthetic in their listings (10w40). I use castrol magnatec 10w40 in my civic vtec (and incidentally vx semi synthetic in the carlton). Fully synthetic might be a bit too thin. I'd go for 10w40 :grinning:

Andy

BigJoe

RMS Regular
OP
BigJoe
Drives
FR-V - Civic
Thanx mate, i used to use semi in my old 1.5 vtec civic, but as it was an e-vtec i was'nt too sure what the craic was, specially with the high miles i'm gonna do!!! Anyone else have past experience with the 2.0vtec motor

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
shell helix 10/40 is damn good for your engine, what toyotas run on, well nes serviced in hursts, oil runs cooler and seems to run better in the cars, i use it in my own motor, and would strongly recomend it

p 5ary

RMS Regular
magarity honda ( or however you spell it) use maxol 5w 40 fully syn i just had my civic serviced by them , they said you cant get this privately and i didnt see any big brands sellin this rating apart from halfords own brand, 5w 40 which when you read the back of it gives the most protection (as it lists out all the ratings and what cars they are best suited to), i wudnt use 0w, its too thin!
halfords is £30 for 5litres.
i wudnt put anything but the best in my little pride and joy!

BigJoe

RMS Regular
OP
BigJoe
Drives
FR-V - Civic
same here mate, 5w-40w it is then...... more ****** money to Halfords!

Dermot

Well i know most Vtec's like there oil to run a bit warm so I'd be going for Magnatec ... But I think its everyone to there own I suppose.

Just a Bit of Advise for anyone that reads this post! If you like you car, DONT use Duckhams...

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
£30 for a gallon of oil. Ludicrous. I've been getting Magnatec semi synthetic for £15 and the Vx semi synthetic a good bit cheaper.

Millers oils do 5w40 by the way.

@BigJoe - if your accord is a 1998 onwards 2.0i Vtec the listed oil is 10w40.

Andy

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
You can get Magnatec in 5w40, seen it in halfrauds. I use Magnatec 10w40 and slick 50 in my motor, Wouldnt use anything less!

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I've recently started using Millers Oils, and Vauxhall stuff for the carlton. I've never had any probs with magnatec in the civic or corolla and have used it for several changes.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
at least you lot have a choice. I can only get oil for my car at a VAG dealership!!! Its £8 for 1l!!!!

BigJoe

RMS Regular
OP
BigJoe
Drives
FR-V - Civic
Thanks ladds, i used to used 10w40 in the civic when i had it but i'm thinkin now thats it may be a bit thin with the bigger car......that Halfords stuff sounds a bit dear though....i'll give millers a try first!....
@Andy...Thanx for the link

p 5ary

RMS Regular
Cooper said:
£30 for a gallon of oil. Ludicrous. I've been getting Magnatec semi synthetic for £15 and the Vx semi synthetic a good bit cheaper.

Millers oils do 5w40 by the way.

@BigJoe - if your accord is a 1998 onwards 2.0i Vtec the listed oil is 10w40.

Andy

you pay for what you get.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
andy gordon, there are many oils out there for your car, ps the stuff in the vag garages is quantum oil, cost them 1.50 a liter and that is why they put it in your car, **** oil, good profit!
think they care if your car goes wrong, they will just put it down to a mechanical fault, meaning either you or warranty will have to pay!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.