Best place to take catalytic converter?

EP82JM

RMS Regular
I knew if I wrote cats id have got some animal related responses hence catalytic converter lol.

Anywhere local that gives proper money for cats? I have one here that companies in England are buying for £200/250 region, but I couldn't imagine tmet etc paying that,or would they? Id imagine them to pay **** money for them and I cant be bothered travelling the country for them to say 40quid mucker

Any suggestions on good places to take them?

geniemac

RMS Member
Drives
mx5
Last time I was in tmet, they had a book with all the different manufactures listed, for cats, they can probably give you a price over the phone, if you tell them what car it came off.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I went to PPP in portglenone last week there and was quoted 280 for one and said they would check with some chap who collects them. He says there is something wrong with it and it's only worth 100. They may well be right so I'm going to chat with them on Friday. Tbh, they seem straight enough so I'll be interested to hear what the craic is with the one I've left with them.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I went to PPP in portglenone last week there and was quoted 280 for one and said they would check with some chap who collects them. He says there is something wrong with it and it's only worth 100. They may well be right so I'm going to chat with them on Friday. Tbh, they seem straight enough so I'll be interested to hear what the craic is with the one I've left with them.

They're buying old used cats for £280 ??? For one ?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Flip I've two massive secondary cats removed from the rs6 lying around 😂 didn't realise they were worth anything never mind a hundred or two

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@stevieturbo Yep although they say it's only worth 100 now because of damage internally. They could well be right as it came off my targa car.
£280 is the 'book value' of the mx5 mk2 cats. A mk2.5 is worth approx 350.

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
There's cat code checkers online, worth a browse.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Precious metals in them.

There is a guy (I'm sure there's a few) in the us sweeping streets and collecting the precious metals expelled from catalytic converters at the side of the road!

Lee

RMS Regular
The prices are away bonkers now. I have a friend who breaks the odd car, he sends me snaps of the receipts for scrapping the cats. There is a certain model which he gets £750-850 for a single 2nd hand cat. EP3 ones are at about £400

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The prices are away bonkers now. I have a friend who breaks the odd car, he sends me snaps of the receipts for scrapping the cats. There is a certain model which he gets £750-850 for a single 2nd hand cat. EP3 ones are at about £400

And that model is ?

Is there a lost online somewhere of the valuable ones ?