Best Rally Car Ever

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Whoever says the modern stuff is dull is just wrong in my opinion, modern wrc cars are faster than group b, despite the stories of many, many horsepower (group a cars were also setting quicker stage times a few years after group b).

In terms of moderns I've soft spot for the following

R5 and R2 Peugeot 208
1024px-Peugeot_208_T16_-_Mondial_de_l%27Automobile_de_Paris_2014_-_001.jpg

peugeot-208-r2-1.jpg

Just something design wise about them that seems 'right' in my opinion. Being a bit of a Peugeot fan boy probably doesnt help all the same!
You just killed the vibe in this thread. Lol

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
6r4 for noise..... literally the best sounding engine ever?

Rs200 for just being sooo unreal. I remember looking at the detail of these beasts in the service areas... stunning.

Much love for the mkII escourts too of course

And kennys kaliber Subaru... fuelled my ownership of a wrx scooby....

Modern stuff (for me) doesn’t come close.. but it’s probably an age/ memory thing. The new stuff may well be quicker than even group B, but i’d Rather watch paint dry.... they are technically ‘too’ good to watch.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Don't get me wrong, I prefer historic rally cars, but still appreciate the modern stuff and wouldn't call it boring or too good to watch personally.

This is the type of stuff I was brought up around despite being born may years too late

WCRallyPI_500.jpg

WRXwinsScottish-300x225.jpg

CNV00168.jpg

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Gwyndaff evans (maybe spelt wrong) inthat pink
Sierra @Lyons posted.... great memories... wasn’t he a school bus driver in Wales!?

That picture is James Cullen and Ellen Morgan in the Sierra on the Manx in 1991. He had just won the Donegal in it earlier that season. The car had "Mr Tompkins carpets" on the side when Gwyndaf drove it.

His son Elfyn Evans is the WRC driver.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I only found out a few weeks ago (via Radio 6) the BBC rally theme was an actual song - 1.10s in

Yeah heard that song randomly a few years back, took me a while to realise where I had first heard it from.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Loved the noise of these revving to the limiter on the Ulster rally, about 97 or so

View attachment 205733

I got a spin with Robbie Head at the pre-Donegal test in '96 (my uncle owns a Renault dealership in Donegal).

I was 10 and he probably just drove down the road and turned. To me, we were absolutely flying. Robbie Head was my idol for about 3 years after that. My parents pulled down the signed posters from my bedroom wall when I moved out (at 20) but I think there is still a few signed hats in their attic.

Last edited:

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I got a spin with Robbie Head at the pre-Donegal test in '96 (my uncle owns a Renault dealership in Donegal).

I was 10 and he probably just drove down the road and turned. To me, we were absolutely flying. Robbie Head was my idol for about 3 years after that. My parents pulled down the signed posters from my bedroom wall when i moved out but I think there is still have a few signed hats in their attic.

Class! I think I have a book about their campaign somewhere. Got my parents to get it for me from Renault.

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
Thought some of you would appreciate JDM Masters latest posts.

Visit to the STi Museum

Rally Car section of MegaWEB

Davytog

RMS Regular
Drives
GTD
Come on boys there's only ever one answer to this question!! You all know the answer - the mark 2. I would concede its run close by this

1582219983860.png

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Best? Probably the one with the most wins.

According to this it isn't the Delta like I suspected (seems they split that out into the Delta Integrale, Delta HF 4WD and Delta S4), it's actually the Polo WRC.

Best as in favourite, personally? Impreza WRC 97 for me. I still can see in my mind McRae wrestling it around the Monte. It's also where the '555' part of my username came from.