Bike for commuting

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
My right knee is destroyed and even post surgery there's no guarantee I'll be able to drive any great distance for a long time.

I've been putting off the bike test for years but it might actually be my only option as I obviously only have to use that leg for the rear break, as opposed to the constant flexion operating an accelerator in a car. The damage is to the calf insertion at the back of the knee, so supporting myself isn't too much of an issue, just the constant movement required to operate a car.

I'll test it out anyway before committing, clutching at straws here!

I'm still a complete motor nerd though and hate buying anything motorised without substantial research. Happy to admit I know **** all squared about bikes so seeking the wisdom of the experienced riders on here. Could be a 40 mile commute with a mix of roads to begin with including navigating Belfast.

Any ideas on bikes, gear etc appreciated. The missus' family are all bikers but are all complete lunatics with sportsbikes and dozens of major crashes between them so the advice is either "stick to the bus" or "1l or nothing".

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Would riding a bike not be more risky and painful than driving, like if you've to put you foot down quickly. How bads your knee, I've had 3 ops on the same knee and was driving again after a month each time.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
This probably won't go down well, but... I can't see a bike being easier than a car in matter of an emergency stop etc.

Don't laugh, if simply for commuting what about a moped. I remember having a go on a 250cc and it was brilliant.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Forgot to say, a GP friend of mine actually put the idea into my head as his brother was in a similar situation after a bad smash.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
This probably won't go down well, but... I can't see a bike being easier than a car in matter of an emergency stop etc.

Don't laugh, if simply for commuting what about a moped. I remember having a go on a 250cc and it was brilliant.

Moped wouldn't be much fun on the M1

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

I'm not asking about a 50 here, these things do 80mph of more. Just a suggestion as auto and upright seating position. Would buy one myself lol, although can see the advantages regarding traffic parking and simple twist and go movement.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Surely an auto car not be a better choice. If your knees anything like mine, when it's cold or damp I get pain. I don't imagine a bike would be too fun if the temperature drops.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
An auto and simply train yourself to use your left foot / leg instead of right is the way forward surely. Bike could be fun though for sure but as others have said I would have suspected it would put more strain of the bad knee ?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Avoid anything sporty so your knee isn't folded back too far. Something upright like a bandit, fazer, SV, etc is better.

But I can't help feeling that a big scooter is the way to go. Like a 400 Burgman. Easy on the knee and lots of storage for groceries and helmet.

Cookie Munster

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo / Forza

Have a Honda Forza 300 and can say that on the motorway it is fine, cruises happily along at 70, and still has some in reserve if needed. Seating position is good and as for leg position, whatever you find comfortable, from straight out front cruiser style to right back like a sports.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Oh forgot about this one....Check out Piaggio MP3, in either 250 or 500. And fit a leg cover.
If I had to ditch the car, that's what I'd buy.

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
Oh forgot about this one....Check out Piaggio MP3, in either 250 or 500. And fit a leg cover.
If I had to ditch the car, that's what I'd buy.
If you can cope with the image of a scooter they are great commuters
I commute in a fireblade and for around town a scooter is just as quick and less hassle with the auto gearbox

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
get one of those jumbo scooters. as in 5/600 cc yokes, dont even have to worry about the rear brake as its on the bars. and dont be thinking they are slow. away from the lights they will waste just about any car you will ever meet and cruise all day at 80+

genman

G
A supermoto style bike if your tall enough leaves your legs reasonably extended and they aren't heavy.

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
If it's purely for commuting there Honda NC750 would be a good option. Will do 70mpg and has linked ABS so will apply back brake while pulling the front lever. Won't be the most exciting thing in the world.

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Hey Artoir - let me give you my pennies worth. First of all a bike is not a bad idea at all. I am so pleased with my bike as a commuter - I actually think that's what it should have been aimed for originally because I have never found a bike that compares to it for this purpose, so much so that I will be buying a second bike this year rather than trading this one in.

If you go to any of the dealers speak to them about your knee. My guess is that the likes of Philip McCallen would definitely help you out. Hutchy modified all his bikes to have the rear break as a thumb control and his riding improved because of it so I don't see this being a big issue although I'm not a mechanic. I would say then if you got a decent commuter with good suspension and modified the rear brake then you will have a blast out there and I'm confident you will never look back.

Of course in a crash situation I would like the risk of hurting your legs is a lot higher on a bike than in a car so make sure you wear good protective clothing and take it easy. You will have to weigh up the risks and the rewards yourself but I don't see an issue with the commute.

Hope this helps you out buddy. Would be happy to let you have a go on the F800ST also, just give me a shout.

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Here she is...
WP_20150614_06_17_19_Pro.jpg

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
You'll want something easy to balance and hold upright at the lights. The superscooters keep getting mentioned for good reason and they're faster than most cars, cheap insurance and easy to ride.

Throttle and braking done with the hands which will be much easier for you and they're as protected from the wind as a bike can be. You'll be in for some craic in the rain and cold though. Motorbikes are not good for commuting unless it's for the pure pleasure of riding a motorbike.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Ive seen people with leg issuse including missing legs buying hondas with dct and simply as there is no clutch they buy a kit and have where the clutch would be converted to a rear brake. Ive also seen a fireblade with a thumb brake under the clutch, although it wasnt overly powerful it still passes mot

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Thumb brake is not uncommon amongst racers, even those without injuries.
I don't know about the rest of you but I barely use the rear brake anyway, maybe just if the wife's on board or its handy for making U turns a bit easier. (Not on my current bike though which is Honda with linked brakes. )

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.