Bilstein Coilovers

JCM

RMS Regular
Drives
E39
Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to get Bilstein coilovers(B14) separately instead of a full kit? Mechanic told me that the front passenger side has a bit of play and I should start thinking of getting it replaced in the near future.

Rather than buying the full kit again, I was thinking of getting just a pair for the fronts if possible. Otherwise I'm really considering just returning it to OE shocks and lowering springs.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Ask there and see if they can do anything. Either that or bilstein b8 shocks and eibach pro kit.

Reactions: JCM

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Thought they'd last longer than 3 years ? Is there no warranty on them

JCM

RMS Regular
OP
JCM
Drives
E39
Ask there and see if they can do anything. Either that or bilstein b8 shocks and eibach pro kit.

Thanks for that, didn't know they had this separate form. I had emailed them directly through their website beforehand.

autodoc sell Bilstein in singles AFAIK

Only seems to be up to the B8.

Thought they'd last longer than 3 years ? Is there no warranty on them

Yes I would've thought that too - the company they were bought from went bust and I can't find much info on Europe warranty. North America seems to offer 5 years.

JCM

RMS Regular
OP
JCM
Drives
E39
Someone from Cutters mentioned UK only gets 2 years instead of the lifetime US gets(not 5 like above) -

If the price of repair is still around the same as what was mentioned in the post above - I'd be tempted to just get the front 2 sent away. It'll work out cheaper than a full replacement.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Not B14's but they rebuilt a set of rear bilstein coilovers for my impreza - one had blown a seal so i got them to do both. turnaround time was about 3mths ffs and ended up chasing them constantly and that was before covid/lockdown - like brand new tho once i got them back

JCM

RMS Regular
OP
JCM
Drives
E39
Not B14's but they rebuilt a set of rear bilstein coilovers for my impreza - one had blown a seal so i got them to do both. turnaround time was about 3mths ffs and ended up chasing them constantly and that was before covid/lockdown - like brand new tho once i got them back
3months?! I don’t think the garage would appreciate that. Unless I attempt it myself and just sorn the car

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
3months?! I don’t think the garage would appreciate that. Unless I attempt it myself and just sorn the car
It isn't a difficult job. I done it to the e38 this week

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Bilstein is funny. Some of their shocks are 5 years but some of the cheaper "oe spec" shocks are only two years.

JCM

RMS Regular
OP
JCM
Drives
E39
It isn't a difficult job. I done it to the e38 this week
You're talking to someone who's height of mechanical knowledge goes as far as oil + filter change and spark plugs :joy:
Bilstein is funny. Some of their shocks are 5 years but some of the cheaper "oe spec" shocks are only two years.
Yeah, considering the price of the B14 you'd at least expect minimum 2 years.