Bird dropping protection coatings

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
My work is HECTIC for bird crap on cars. Would anyone recommend any wax / sealants / coatings which protect against bird dirt.

Rifle comes to mind, but health and safety weren’t keen.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
If left too long, not much can stop the etching. Quality ceramic coatings will offer the strongest protection, but what I have done is buy a pack of 10 little spray bottles from eBay and put citrus and a quick detailer in them to tackle the bird poop unless I'm heading home and can properly deal with the bird bombs.

20220404_200149.jpg

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Screenshot_20230524_220421_Amazon Shopping.jpg

As bad as it may seem this is great stuff. Foams over them letting them soak and just wipes off. Been using it the past 10 years of more. Handy to keep in the car with a micro and jobs done.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
A pro grade coating and ideally one that has an element of self healing so that if it does stain it then you can heat them out 90% of the time.

The thing with removing them with a microfibre is that you have a fairly big risk of scratching the car.

I actually have a belter of an etching on my wing from bird**** sitting on the car after sitting at the airport. Will put a video up of how easy it is to sort with a self healing ceramic

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Our work car park is the same, the seagulls fill their bellys at McDonalds across the road and then come over here to empty their guts!!

The worst ones are the spots everywhere (i mean, does the bird explode??)

Nightmare this time of year as it bakes on with the sun. As above, i try and wet it best i can and remove until i get home

Always seem to be the talk of the office adjacent to the car park though, you can see them looking out thinking 'what is he at??' lol

davyk31

RMS Regular
Same at my my work. I take a walk out every couple of hours to check but find the little Autoglym wipes pretty handy and of course lifting off after soaking so there is no rubbing.

But it’s the hundreds of wee spots that winds me up. They don’t really do any harm but make a mess of the whole car.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
A pro grade coating and ideally one that has an element of self healing so that if it does stain it then you can heat them out 90% of the time.

The thing with removing them with a microfibre is that you have a fairly big risk of scratching the car.

I actually have a belter of an etching on my wing from bird**** sitting on the car after sitting at the airport. Will put a video up of how easy it is to sort with a self healing ceramic
I had fairly bad etching on my paint and someone on here recommended microfibre and boiling water and let it soak. It worked as I guess it draws the oils out of lacquer.

I'd assume that it's not good for the longevity of the paint?? What would you recommend other than a coating.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
That can work too, depends how deep into the clear it goes. Sometimes that may look like it’s fixed the issue as it causes to the clear to swell then as it sinks again it will reappear.

Prevention is better than the cure.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
That can work too, depends how deep into the clear it goes. Sometimes that may look like it’s fixed the issue as it causes to the clear to swell then as it sinks again it will reappear.

Prevention is better than the cure.

Agreed on prevention but it seems unavoidable here, hence the need for a coating.

Outside of full on ceramic, any wax / sealant recommendations? I’ve other things I’d like ahead of spending on a full detail & coat.

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
For cheap and easy applied you can’t go far wrong with something like gyeon wet coat (or cancoat with slightly more effort)

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Look at soft99 bazooka sometimes it comes up for 3/4 quid a tin. Can do a car about 3 times maybe more depending. I'd a bottle for ages used it at the weekend so far I'm impressed for all I paid.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Look at something extremely hydrophobic, even something like Gtechniq easicoat every wash would help massively

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Currently using auto finesse tough coat but I really doubt it is giving the protection quoted.

Have a tin of naviwax which I love for ease of application and results but does not last

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
What about Soft99 Fusso Coat? Real easy to apply and remove and if bird poop has 'killed' off the protection then just reapply to that particular spot

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Gyeon Can Coat, as close to a proper ceramic as you’ll get, easy applied and unreal hydrophobicity. I have it on my 944 and I am very very impressed.

Reactions: Mel

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
IMG_9505.jpeg

Not sure if you can still get this but it came with a car purchase a few years back and works very well. Spray on, leave for 60 seconds, wipe off. Job done.

Would recommend it for a quick solution

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3