Bizarre Aircon Problem

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The aircon in my car wasn't working when I bought it (needed a regas I thought). Took it to kwik-fit today who regased it but unfortunately this didn't work and the fan air temperature only dropped by 3 degrees (so I got the regas free) ;)

Anyway, I left the aircon on and drove home. When I get above 50mph or so the air becomes nice and cold, infact the faster I go the colder it gets :confounded:

Stop still in traffic and the air is warm. The aircon fan kicks in as soon as I press the aircon button at the radiator at the front so Im not sure whats going on. Ive checked all fuses and everything seems to be in order

Any ideas people?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Would this be a belt running to/from the compressor? Sounds like you could be right...

pablo

RMS Moderator
will be running off the power steering/fan belt most likely but might have its own I guess. Im no expert.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Think they sometimes run off a their own pulley. I know all the older Fords with aircon have different pulleys to accommodate the extra drive belt.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Wee bit of a strange aircon problem myself only mine isnt working!!! (Bloody Fords)

Right the light comes on when you hit A/C but yet there is no kicking in of the fan, nor does the air get any cooler... I checked the fuse in the engine bay and its fine :confounded:

So anybody reckon its maybe something stupid or is it a Ford job??? How much warranty is on new Fords normally also?!?!?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
After only 7 thousand miles though :confounded:

Admittedly maybe the oul duffer who had it before never noticed when you switch the blower on the A/C comes on automatically :confounded:

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
There is a clutch that engages the aircon pump, it could be siezed. When you hit the switch do you hear a click from the engine?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
No doesnt seem to be anything engaging in the engine bay... Will open the bonnet and listen properly later and see :grinning:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
If there's only 7k on it I'd take it back for warranty and let Ford worry about it.

Ah, unless you mean 7k after the last refill :confounded:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
No theres only 7k on the car... Aircon wouldnt run out that quick if on most of that time would it?!?!?

Plus would warranty transfer to the new owner???

ricky_t

RMS Regular
Drives
M3Cx
^^ yea warranty is on the car not the owner as far as im aware

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.