Bluetooth for 2010 Mini

davyk31

RMS Regular
I am buying a 2010 Cooper for the kids to learn to drive in and also for me to hop into now and again.

Keen to add Bluetooth for phone calls and my kids also want to play music from the phone. Was going on go for something like a Parrot Mki9200 as I had one a few years ago in another car and it did the job well. However it seems they are maybe a bit old hat now and maybe there are better options.

Changing the headset doesn’t seem to be a great option as the standard head unit is all integrated with the controls being part of the Speedo
Unit.

Looking at the Pure Highway 600 maybe as an option for about £70. It also gives DAB which would be handy.

Open to any thoughts or options.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Have they not been discontinued. Several sites seem to say that and the older Parrot kits don’t seem available now so I’m wondering what has taken over but maybe it’s a case that most modern cars have BT and audio streaming as standard.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
My daughter mentioned that but I don’t know much about them. Have you used one?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Asteroid is discontinued ebay would be best bet. Alexa in the car would be head melting. "Alexa do a FART" I would crash laughing

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Will need to do a bit of reading. Also the asteroid looks a decent bit if kit. There are also some cheap things on Amazon that plug into the aux port and you have like a button device on the dash. Guess the problem with those is that most things need controlled by the phone.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
IF you wanted to spend alot more..........

It actually replaces the whole speedo unit!

Who ever thought putting the headunit in the middle of the speedo was a good idea 8-(

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Or there is this doda

I think thats the way people add bluetooth to older BMWs, through the CD Changer port, though you would need to check if that is the correct model for your car.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I have bought a Pure 600 or at least it’s the Alpine branded version of the Pure. Has Bluetooth and Dab on one unit. Haven’t fitted yet but at £60 thought it was worth a try as having DAB would be good too.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Back to this topic. Bought the Alpine version of the Pure 600 and it’s useless. Removed it all today and sending it back for a refund.
So on the hunt again and thinking maybe a sun visor cheap Bluetooth would do for now. Alternatively might go for a Parrot kit but not sure how easy it is to get at the back of the Mini radio as its all built in.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Back to this topic. Bought the Alpine version of the Pure 600 and it’s useless. Removed it all today and sending it back for a refund.
So on the hunt again and thinking maybe a sun visor cheap Bluetooth would do for now. Alternatively might go for a Parrot kit but not sure how easy it is to get at the back of the Mini radio as its all built in.
A few screws and you can remove the OEM head unit easily enough if memory serves.... There should be you tube tutorials like this guy who makes hard work of it.......

I can't remember it being that hard. One tip would be to make sure you possess plastic trim tools before attempting it as metal will mark the dash panels.

Bojo are the best trim tool by far for longevity

but there are cheaper kits available online.

And lastly, I can't imagine a pure/ alpine dab being useless so make sure the antenna is perfectly positioned or it may never work properly no matter what unit you buy.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Thanks for that. Was thinking of buying trim removal tools to have in the toolbox anyway so those links were good.

As regards the Pure unit, I had the antenna exactly where they suggested and it found nothing. Biggest issue was it didn’t work through the aux socket so that meant using the FM transmitter option which was very poor sound quality for phone calls. Also had to tune to that frequency each time to make or receive calls which wasn’t great.

Think a Parrot or maybe even a total headset change to a double din might be the best answer as that would give phone and music by Bluetooth.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
Can you not get a MINI head unit with Bluetooth? I am certain that the 2010 Clubman I had came with Bluetooth, certainly for calls, not so sure about the music mind you.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Don’t think they can do music but yes Bluetooth can be added by buying the separate control box that comes in the cars equipped with Bluetooth. Doesn’t seem to be plug and play though and needs maybe a wiring loom and a few other bits. Maybe some of the guys on here know better. I don’t mind a bit of stripping to get it all fitted so long as it’s not a mega job.

Jonesy

RMS Regular
I've a jabba sun visor one somewhere if it's of use?

Think it's this

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I have ordered another sun visor one from Amazon yesterday. Does look at that Jabra one but chose another as some of the reviews on the Jabra said the speaker volume was poor.