BMW 330e

davyk31

RMS Regular
Had the loan of a new model BMW 330e for a few days last week. Very nice car although pretty bland to look at. Good performance either on electric, petrol or both. Took 6 hours to charge with standard plug which gave a reported 22 miles driving although was less when using lights, heater etc. It does generate a bit of power itself but again nothing too significant.

Pretty seamless going between hybrid and engine modes but for me the tiny range seems so pointless. Cars like this only make sense for company car drivers because of the current BIK advantages.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Yes 22 miles per full charge which is pretty normal range for most hybrids. I have also driven Golf GTE quite a bit and a Mini Countryman PHEV and they all do about 20 miles per charge. After that you are on a pretty inefficient petrol engine given the weight of the cars with the battery packs.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Pretty seamless going between hybrid and engine modes but for me the tiny range seems so pointless. Cars like this only make sense for company car drivers because of the current BIK advantages.

This ^. If the Tesla model 3 takes off the 3 series is going to be in trouble.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I test drove a few hybrids, including the mini. It's more like 13-18 miles. The C Class Mercedes is the same. Then as said you are driving around in an inefficient petrol engine and lugging a motor around. I just cant get hybrids (unless for a business), fully electric or not at all.

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
I guess most people would do less than 20miles a day.. so could work for them especially people who work and live close to Belfast.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
I guess most people would do less than 20miles a day.. so could work for them especially people who work and live close to Belfast.
Neighbour has one now 4 months, and hasn't been to a petrol station yet. Lives 15 miles away from work, and they have a charging station (solar) at his work. Cost £700 quid to get a charge point at home, but the car tax savings are big if its a company car. He loves his

Shmern

RMS Regular
Drives
VX220 NA
6hrs charging for 22miles.
Kinda reminds me of a nokia 3210 i had twenty years ago

6 hours ? If you have a home charger (3.6kW 16Amp) then it'll charge around 3 hours roughly, still not brilliant but better than 6 :grinning: Typically these small battery cars can only maintain 3.6kW charge rate, even if you have a 7Kw or 32amp charger at home, but always advise anyone to get the faster charger for future cars!

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I was charging on the standard plug as I had only borrowed the car. Given most people will charge overnight it really doesn’t matter how long it takes to charge, the issue still is the pathetic range once fully charged. Yes with a quicker charger you could charge through the day after a trip but that is much too much flaffing about to make sense.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Having yet to drive the “e” range of BMs I take it you have to put these into full eco mode and then not stamp the quiet/loud pedal or the ICE will kick in?

In other words to ensure you are using maximum electric you need to drive it like you are playing range roulette in your brothel creepers?

What about the BIK for PHEVs? 0% for full BEVs from April is compelling.

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
We have had a few 330E's as demos in work and they are a great driving car but as said you wouldn't go out and buy one if you were doing 50 mile round trip a day. perfect for someone who lives sub 15/20 mile from work or for company car due to the BIK. I have a Golf GTE and it comes in under £300 including fuel, though we will definitely be looking at fully electric options in April when it goes to 0% for fully electric!

Sportwag

RMS Regular
wouldn't go out and buy one if you were doing 50 mile round trip a day. perfect for someone who lives sub 15/20 mile from work or for company car due to the BIK.

PHEV really depends on your circumstance and your driving style. My 530e works for me to up to a 100 mile round trip commute without charging (58 mpg average) but much beyond this and you would be better off with the Diesel equivalent. I have a Type II charger at home and it takes around 2 hours to reach full charge. With the cold weather, heater, lights, wipers and heated seats, I am currently getting 14 miles out of a full charge mid winter but even though the battery is exhausted from driving, it still retains a 9% charge to maintain battery condition and allow functions such as regenerative braking etc. When not commuting, almost of my journeys are on battery so it runs like a Tesla.

Charges are starting to apply in the ROI (for rapid charging, monthly account and fines if you stay plugged in for longer than 1hr) and so it can't be too long before it is introduced here so need to start factoring this into your cost of ownership. Also increasingly more difficult to find available charge points during the day as the infrastructure has not kept pace with increase in electric cars.

Jimbojones22

Drives
330e
Hi guys. Just bought a second hand 330e. Can I ask, should it have come with a standard 3 pin charger? The manual says it does, but the garage said it doesn't??

Mickylad

RMS Regular
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Hi guys. Just bought a second hand 330e. Can I ask, should it have come with a standard 3 pin charger? The manual says it does, but the garage said it doesn't??

Suppose it all depends on whether the person trading it in gives it back or not on trade in or if someone in the garage has snaffled it for something else. They come with a 3 pin home charger brand new.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Bound to come with a cable yes otherwise how are you going to charge it. Tell the shiney cheap suit man to stop talking rubbish and get you a cable. Wouldn’t be hard to google the BMW brochure for that year and see if it lists a cable under standard equipment as I expect it will.

Mark_C

RMS Regular

Sounds like an orla kiely ds3 I bought the wife years ago from a NI citroen dealer. Upon first visit all the hard to find mats that matched the design on the car were in the car and yet upon collection magically they were 'misplaced'..

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
If the dealer doesn’t cough up for a 3 pin, you should be eligible for a 75% grant for a proper home charger, it will be faster than a 3 pin and also work out cheaper with the grant. Also if there are any rapid chargers near you try to use them, the etron charges from 0-80% in approx 30 mins and that has a shed load of batteries so a 330e should be topped up in no time with a rapid charger.