BMW 530d

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Anyone got any information on these cars?Hp etc?

I dont think i can afford a sport model so itll be a standard yr 1999/2000 SE I think.

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Uncle has an 03' Touring Sport loaded with extras, its very nice, he got it becuase hes doing a lot of miles and though he would save some money on fuel but he says its actually no better than his previous 528 touring!

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
VITAL STATISTICS

Model: BMW 530d SE Touring
Engine: Six-cylinder, 2926cc
Power: 193bhp
Transmission: Five-speed auto
Fuel: 33.2mpg (combined)
Acceleration: 0 to 62mph: 8.3sec
Top speed: 141mph
Headlining: Sport models have anthracite-colour headlining

Seats: Driver's seat prone to wear on the outside of seat squab

Build date: Check label on top of front nearside wheel arch to confirm build date of cars since 2001

Indicator lens: Post-June 2000 cars have clear lens but beware of earlier cars upgraded to look newer

Options: Few cars leave the factory with standard specifications; check the original sales invoice to confirm factory additions

Headlamp lens: With the September 2000 facelift the lenses became clear

Wheels: 16in alloys are standard on SE, Sport models get 17in

Dashboard: Service indicator lights are easily reset by the unscrupulous so ask to see invoices to confirm maintenance history

Warranty: Three-year/unlimited mileage warranty on new cars since November 2001

Traction control system: Automatic Stability Control and traction control on all cars. Post-September 2000 cars also gain Dynamic Stability Control

Airbags: Cars since September 97 also have ITS head airbags system

Leather: A desirable option but don't pay more than £500 extra

Air-conditioning: Digital climate control as standard

Jason

RMS Regular
iv driven a 530D sport a brand new one and they can fairly shift, harder sussy than normal and the kit etc very very nice car

Fast_CAV

RMS Regular
Drives
548hp sr20
DO NOT Buy 1...ask any 1 whoi deals in them...if u give them any abuse or run them on Red U will be out £1000s...
We have a 330D and has given nothin But bother since day 1...
Latest repair Bill was £500 last week for a new water pump...and the car isnt even 2 years old...

Cormac

RMS Regular
Gaz and Bobs oul boy has one of the new model ones, Maybe they'd share there views on it??

Lovely wagons!!

Cormac

Dermot

Errr Paddy, a 530? Why not a 330? High Price Tag, High Insurance (Not that your worried bout that :p) Been told a 320 with a Tunnin box will trash a 330... Still to be seen yet. But im sure a 330 with a tunning box will go quite well... Few things to look out for... If your buyin a second hand one.. Try buy one with HIGH SPEC as there fetchin the same price as low Spec models... And buy a Manual :p

paddymcc

RMS Regular
OP
paddymcc
Drives
C63
Dermot said:
Errr Paddy, a 530? Why not a 330? High Price Tag, High Insurance (Not that your worried bout that :p) Been told a 320 with a Tunnin box will trash a 330... Still to be seen yet. But im sure a 330 with a tunning box will go quite well... Few things to look out for... If your buyin a second hand one.. Try buy one with HIGH SPEC as there fetchin the same price as low Spec models... And buy a Manual :p

I'd prefer the look of a 530d sport to any of the beemer's.

Im still torn trying to decide on a mid nineties M3 a later nineties 328i Coupe or a 530d :?

Dermot

paddymcc said:
Dermot said:

I'd prefer the look of a 530d sport to any of the beemer's.

Im still torn trying to decide on a mid nineties M3 a later nineties 328i Coupe or a 530d :?

E36 M3 ... Buy one now... Drive it for year and sell it again and it will only have lost about £500 in Value ;)

Designated Driver

RMS Regular
A friend drove his Dads new 530d about now and again and always raked it - it got 2 new turbos and a back axle in 2 years but was still a great car.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I've been in a 330d with a tuning box - a car not to be messed with. The surge of torque is unbelievable. A very very rapid car which after 60mph is almost M3 material.

Andy

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Oops, only saw this thread, sorry.

If you're chatting about the previous model 530d, then I wouldn't worry about reliability too much providing, like any car, its been serviced properly. I think Fast Cav has perhaps been unlucky. My Dad has sold and driven literally in the region of 15-20 of them, and I've driven quite a few of these myself. They're quite brisk considering their weight and the likes of a tuning box would certainly work wonders. If you can get a 'good one' thats been broken in properly, there's much more noticeable turbo kick off it and they're so torquey that once you get up the gears you should be able to keep up with most cars on the road.

Suspension wise they grip very well and offer a very comfortable ride, but they do tend to be a bit boaty approaching corners. Turn the TCS off and its all too easy to drift one of these if you keep the revs up (you don't want to be turning a corner just as the turbo kicks in down around the 2k mark)

My mum just got a new model 530d, the Chris Bangle designed model. These things really are a weapon. 0-60 is somewhere around 7 secs, impressive for a heavy diesel, but the combination of the torque, active steering and sports suspension makes for a surprisingly nimble car. Its a costly car but a lot quicker than the previous 530d - one to look out for a couple of years down the line perhaps.

Gaz

Dermot

Gaz said:
I think Fast Cav has perhaps been unlucky.

Naw Fast_cav's just gets a bit more abuse than normal... Its done more miles sideways than it has in a straight line...

Even at that it shouldnt need a pile of new bushings and a new water pump in the first year?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Dermot said:
Gaz said:

Naw Fast_cav's just gets a bit more abuse than normal... Its done more miles sideways than it has in a straight line...

Even at that it shouldnt need a pile of new bushings and a new water pump in the first year?

Well that explains it :laughing:

Gaz

paddymcc

RMS Regular
OP
paddymcc
Drives
C63
Dermot said:
Gaz said:

I wouldnt doubt that with Fast Cav behind the wheel ;)

I drove a new shape C Class Merc 2.5TD 6speed tonight and jesus that thing could move from 60/70+. Give her a nice little test drive to Omagh and back :grinning:

paddymcc

RMS Regular
OP
paddymcc
Drives
C63
C-S_Cormac said:
Doubt i gave u too much for the Calibra if ur now looking to buy a 530 ;-)

Cormac

LMAO you stole that Calibra!! Is she going alright for you lad?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.