BMW 530e

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Consider buying one of these as a daily.

Just wondering if anyone on here had one?

I'd say the petrol engine would only need to come on at the weekend for me as most of my weekday journeys are under 40 miles so the electric should cover that.

Reading that most people average the combined equivalent of around 130mpg, which is obviously dependant on how much petrol power you need.

They seem good value for money at the minute and I already have a charging point in my garage so it's all good to go.

530e.png

Last edited:

e320mark

RMS Regular
Bavarian loaned me a 330e when wife’s x3 was in for warranty work, you’ll be lucky to get 30 miles! It drains like max & I was driving the car easy! Nice car & very comfortable though! There is a bit of a loss of boot space too!

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Bavarian loaned me a 330e when wife’s x3 was in for warranty work, you’ll be lucky to get 30 miles! It drains like max & I was driving the car easy! Nice car & very comfortable though! There is a bit of a loss of boot space too!
Our creche and school are 1.5 miles from the house and the gym is 9 miles away so that's about as far as I'd ever be from Mon-Fri so might work out ok.
Might be worth looking at a touring if boot space is reduced?

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Only real downside is that it falls into the higher tax band.

£510 per year.

e320mark

RMS Regular
Our creche and school are 1.5 miles from the house and the gym is 9 miles away so that's about as far as I'd ever be from Mon-Fri so might work out ok.
Might be worth looking at a touring if boot space is reduced?
It’s the height that’s lost, not the length. There is a 3-4 inch rise in the boot floor to accommodate the batteries

davyk31

RMS Regular
If you are on a cold start or any uphill it could kick onto engine a lot and never get back to battery in your 1.5 trip. I know someone had an E Class hybrid and as soon as he pulled out his gate there was an uphill that put the engine on and it stayed on for his journey which was only a mile or mile and half.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
I have a Golf GTE and would 100% recommend going to a Passat. I use mine for commuting to work between Larne and Belfast, can easily get 1000+ miles from a full petrol tank and making sure it's always charged
Would definitely consider a Passat GTE estate. Golf hatch or Passat saloon would probably be too small / impractical for the kids / dog etc.

If you are on a cold start or any uphill it could kick onto engine a lot and never get back to battery in your 1.5 trip. I know someone had an E Class hybrid and as soon as he pulled out his gate there was an uphill that put the engine on and it stayed on for his journey which was only a mile or mile and half.
Can you not manually choose electric power in most of the modern plug in hybrids?

davyk31

RMS Regular
Can you not manually choose electric power in most of the modern plug in hybrids?
[/QUOTE]

Apparently he couldn’t but may be different in other cars. Sounds like a full electric car would make more sense for your usage as hybrids seem to offer the worst of all worlds.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Sounds like a full electric car would make more sense for your usage as hybrids seem to offer the worst of all worlds.
Only problem is that the only real full electric estates on the market right now are the MG5 and the Porsche Taycan.
Don’t really want an SUV / crossover either.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
My boss just traded his in to Auto Zone in Coleraine. Wasn’t overly economical but lovely thing to drive.