BMW cancels finance on YouTuber's heavily modified M4

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Imagine if the company said they didn't approve of the use of their parts on your car, or thought you couldn't afford the repayments so wanted full payment for the parts immediately. You'd be a bit pissed off no?

Yes and no. I set them aside until they were paid for!

Also that wasn't written in their contract, I'd assume for a car lease it is written in the contract that it can't be modified without express written permission. The additional difference is that it's financing to own at the end of the repayment term as opposed to handing something back. IE the finance agreement and repayments aren't dependent on the sellers estimate of resale value of the thing when handed back. Apples and oranges.

Look, I can totally understand why the guy would be pissed off, and actually he came across fairly well in the video. But the exposure of the car etc it wasn't entirely a surprise that it happened.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Did I say speeding? No. Going by the tone of your post you know full well that the Speedo isn't exactly shown.

I said driving like a plum. You don't have to be demonstrably speeding to do that. I'd include driving someone's car with them in it looking horrified in that.

We all give the gas a little extra squirt from time to time, and if its done in a safe and controlled manner, then I wouldn't say its cause to say someone is driving 'like an utter plum'.

It's no different than what most auto testers do when reviewing cars on public roads...

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
We all give the gas a little extra squirt from time to time, and if its done in a safe and controlled manner, then I wouldn't say its cause to say someone is driving 'like an utter plum'.

It's no different than what most auto testers do when reviewing cars on public roads...
Pick any video of him testing a car. He's drives like a complete **** and his fanboys treat him like a driving god.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34

There's a bit of a difference between a bit of a spirited drive on an empty backroad and jerky inputs and horsing it on what usually look to be fairly busy roads.

Presumably you mean journalists reviewing cars. Auto testing is not done on public roads, the really top guys can put on excellent examples of car control.

simon4563

RMS Regular
Drives
F30
Ive watched a few of his videos, i just skip past him talking to hear and see the cars. Some mad cars on it, loved the 1000bhp R35

this one -

must be hitting 50 or 60mph on the first 2 seconds of the video ;)

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I’ve seen this BMW finance video being shared everywhere. With all the views (money) he’s getting on YouTube, he will now be able to pay off the car no problem.
And with plenty of new subscriptions and exposure because of the viral video. BMW taking the car back might be the best thing that’s ever happened to him!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
His driving is no worse than the fellas who own the cars, to me it looks like they take him a rip to show it’s pace and then he’s gets a go but it’s all the camera facing him so no idea of speed or traffic but a lot of it seems to be a straight line blast, obviously speeding but how many on here have never done it or wouldn’t do the same if someone’s give you the keys to their 700bhp RS3?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I’ve seen this BMW finance video being shared everywhere. With all the views (money) he’s getting on YouTube, he will now be able to pay off the car no problem.
And with plenty of new subscriptions and exposure because of the viral video. BMW taking the car back might be the best thing that’s ever happened to him!

The monetisation from YouTube is crap now apparently. Few of the podcasts I listen to were talking about it and it equates to around $350 per 100,000 views.

MATT93

RMS Regular
Drives
335d
Ricky (living life fast) posted a while back about how much he’s making from YouTube and somewhat along the lines of how it’s a bit of a struggle to make youtube’ing a full time job (ironic he’s now driving a brand new M4, perhaps not for much longer).. it seemed to be around £800/900 per month from what I can remember. At that stage he wasn’t doing any of his LLF loyalty card scheme though and I imagine his videos are getting more views now too. But still don’t think he’s exactly raking it in.

He’s also just put up the post below. Update coming soon..

EB631259-CAC4-48EC-B660-6879438633AE.png

Neil_M

RMS Regular
The monetisation from YouTube is crap now apparently. Few of the podcasts I listen to were talking about it and it equates to around $350 per 100,000 views.

You are 100% correct.

However they tend to get money elsewhere as their channel grows. Be it from other companies, freebies, patreon etc etc.

AFAIK the guy is a tool. He was meant to have been pretty rude to quite a few other YouTuber's at one stage.

Either way, I'm the first person to watch a car video on YouTube... but LLF has the same keek every time. As he accelerates hard he does the same dropped facial expression in every single video.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip

MATT93

RMS Regular
Drives
335d
He mentions that he’s got almost £1000 from the ‘BMW cancelled my finance’ video! Not too shabby for a video that’s only been up a week or so.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I feel sorry for him, in fact I feel sorry for everyone growing up in this world were everything is online and everyone seems to take delight in ripping into anyone that does upload stuff.

I’ve had some quite big debates on this very topic recently and imho it is the precursor to a worrying world in which our children are now growing up in.
Shmee, TGEldnm, mrjww, etc are all uploading every minute of their lives and kids and adults alike are glued to it like cocaine. Most then jump in to say awful things or dish out abuse but later that night they wonder why they can’t buy a supercar and live that life.......🤔
The reality is 99.9% of these social media stars make their earnings else where and it is that which funds their ability to move in these circles and drive the cars they do but they never talk about any of that really because their online persona is like batman not Bruce Wayne.
Then you have a whole other segment that honestly haven’t anything, money, a home etc yet they, online, can be whoever they choose to be and often show a lifestyle that couldn’t be more removed from their actual lives in the hope it gets them further down the rabbit hole, and sometimes it does !
It’s very damaging imo and I honestly believe stuff like this is partly to blame for the rise in depression etc

Ricky is, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, as common or normal as they come it appears. I admire him for plodding on trying his best and he does seem to be doing well enough at it however, he in reality isn’t that marketable and again I don’t mean to be harsh but he just isn’t and I’ll be surprised if he ever gets to the stage where manufactures are throwing cars at him

Also as said, you need an absolutely massive amount of hits to make anything off YouTube and the majority of earnings start with product and then if you get big enough you will get paid for your input.

Also, it’s a lot harder than it looks, there is massive time put into filming and then editing together something worth sharing and then after that you sit back and get torn to shreds !
It was part of my role with Fast to upload stuff on insta all the time and I learned a lot from that and a camera crew running around after some of us for months, that footage will never see the light of day now but nonetheless I learned a lot from it.
I’ve had people ask would I not try and post more or do some YouTube videos and the answer is always ‘ no’ it’s just not for me.
You’ve to be a particular type of person I believe for all that and I ain’t it which I’m both happy about and at the same time slightly frustrated about because I know for a fact it would open more doors for me, but I am just not built to talk rubbish into a camera phone I guess, or at least I feel like a massive tit doing so

Most of us laugh this YouTube stuff off but I think that’s largely an age thing, our younger population seems to be plugged in 24/7, what the hell is the online world going to be like in 40 years time ? 🤷‍♂️ Pretty scary if you ask me

Last edited:

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
When we do our fire prevention talks in schools I always ask, what you like to do when you grow up? (Always good for banter if the kids want to be cops). Anyway the past few years I'd say 60% of the kids say they want to be a 'vlogger'. It's so depressing. First one of my kids that states that will get a boot in the doot.