BMW cancels finance on YouTuber's heavily modified M4

Nigelo

RMS Regular
When we do our fire prevention talks in schools I always ask, what you like to do when you grow up? (Always good for banter if the kids want to be cops). Anyway the past few years I'd say 60% of the kids say they want to be a 'vlogger'. It's so depressing. First one of my kids that states that will get a boot in the doot.

Lol, they'd probably livestream that for views. :laughing:

vibe_kid

RMS Regular
Drives
Deng Deng Deng
When we do our fire prevention talks in schools I always ask, what you like to do when you grow up? (Always good for banter if the kids want to be cops). Anyway the past few years I'd say 60% of the kids say they want to be a 'vlogger'. It's so depressing. First one of my kids that states that will get a boot in the doot.

Yeah they love the youtube these days. We do talks in schools with the parents to introduce them all to youtube so they can keep an eye / help their kids shoot video and also workshops so the nippers can use their phones properly / lighting etc. A boot in the doot would probably fetch £250 on ybf remember :p

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
All the kids need to know that the youtube bubble is just another dot com bubble. They are increasingly tightening their grips on income for ad sales revenue, demonetising videos for the smallest things, demonetising entire channels in some regard. I dare say its only a matter of time before the "this video is sponsored by" is more stringently curtailed, its money that is bypassing Youtube after all.

Another thing is, youtubers are basically their own PR managers. They can wreck their YouTube careers in just a few seconds of misjudgement.

I also think its astoundingly naive of advertisers to think spending millions on advertised to toddlers watching the same videos on repeat is a sound investment.

How many of you parents run out to rush to buy every toy or gadget your kids see either in YouTube videos or in targeted ads in the videos? I wonder how much ad money 1 kid watching the same video over and over again is wasting for someone lol.

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
There is athread if anyone is interested on PH about youtubers/vloggers, might interest people who want to delve deeper Tim (Shmee150) provides insight on the thread as well as some other smaller youtubers! Might be worth a read, although between the good posts there is plenty of hatred and dross posted as well!

I'm not sure I believe much of what Shmee would say either, his parents aren't short of a few bob but he doesn't like that being brought up.

Many of his cars are modded too I thought, and he openly says they are on finance. Though admittedly he may be open with the finance companies on what he is doing.

I think it's disingenuous and irresponsible for people like him to let "ordinary" kids think can lead a lifestyle like his by having a YouTube channel.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Skimmed the first few pages of that and to be honest I thought Shmee came across well. Despite being unbelievably annoying he’s probably harmless.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Skimmed the first few pages of that and to be honest I thought Shmee came across well. Despite being unbelievably annoying he’s probably harmless.
I stepped out of the van last week and opened the trailer, hadn’t even turned around yet and got the ‘hi I’m Shmeeeeeee’ 🤦‍♂️
Yes Tim, we know ....

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Was he there?!
He has done it a few times but not doing it this year, skip to 7 minutes odd and I had to go find it as I don’t subscribe to his feed, he’s actually real nice in person as he came to a few Fast things and then he’s done Autosport a few times too. Just annoying lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
He has done it a few times but not doing it this year, skip to 7 minutes odd and I had to go find it as I don’t subscribe to his feed, he’s actually real nice in person as he came to a few Fast things and then he’s done Autosport a few times too. Just annoying lol

Hope you got paid for your cameo?!

56oval

RMS Regular
I feel sorry for him, in fact I feel sorry for everyone growing up in this world were everything is online and everyone seems to take delight in ripping into anyone that does upload stuff.

I’ve had some quite big debates on this very topic recently and imho it is the precursor to a worrying world in which our children are now growing up in.
Shmee, TGEldnm, mrjww, etc are all uploading every minute of their lives and kids and adults alike are glued to it like cocaine. Most then jump in to say awful things or dish out abuse but later that night they wonder why they can’t buy a supercar and live that life.......🤔
The reality is 99.9% of these social media stars make their earnings else where and it is that which funds their ability to move in these circles and drive the cars they do but they never talk about any of that really because their online persona is like batman not Bruce Wayne.
Then you have a whole other segment that honestly haven’t anything, money, a home etc yet they, online, can be whoever they choose to be and often show a lifestyle that couldn’t be more removed from their actual lives in the hope it gets them further down the rabbit hole, and sometimes it does !
It’s very damaging imo and I honestly believe stuff like this is partly to blame for the rise in depression etc

Ricky is, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, as common or normal as they come it appears. I admire him for plodding on trying his best and he does seem to be doing well enough at it however, he in reality isn’t that marketable and again I don’t mean to be harsh but he just isn’t and I’ll be surprised if he ever gets to the stage where manufactures are throwing cars at him

Also as said, you need an absolutely massive amount of hits to make anything off YouTube and the majority of earnings start with product and then if you get big enough you will get paid for your input.

Also, it’s a lot harder than it looks, there is massive time put into filming and then editing together something worth sharing and then after that you sit back and get torn to shreds !
It was part of my role with Fast to upload stuff on insta all the time and I learned a lot from that and a camera crew running around after some of us for months, that footage will never see the light of day now but nonetheless I learned a lot from it.
I’ve had people ask would I not try and post more or do some YouTube videos and the answer is always ‘ no’ it’s just not for me.
You’ve to be a particular type of person I believe for all that and I ain’t it which I’m both happy about and at the same time slightly frustrated about because I know for a fact it would open more doors for me, but I am just not built to talk rubbish into a camera phone I guess, or at least I feel like a massive tit doing so

Most of us laugh this YouTube stuff off but I think that’s largely an age thing, our younger population seems to be plugged in 24/7, what the hell is the online world going to be like in 40 years time ? 🤷‍♂️ Pretty scary if you ask me

Perfectly put (y)

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I stepped out of the van last week and opened the trailer, hadn’t even turned around yet and got the ‘hi I’m Shmeeeeeee’ 🤦‍♂️
Yes Tim, we know ....

What do you actually do for a living? How do you end up involved in all this kinda stuff?😂

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes Tim, we know ....

Lol, it’s the start that always makes me giggle, yes he’s a bit of a tit and he has no dress sense but the venom that some hate him with...I just don’t understand, says more about them and their life I’d guess!

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
With regards to Tim, I suppose I could say I have 'grown up' with his channel, I watched it in its relative infancy (he had just got a V8 Vantage when I started to watch) but as I have got older and tastes change I watch less frequently as his delivery isn't to my taste now and some videos do not interest me, but I don't think you can deny his passion for cars and he does use his as intended! And regards to the PH thread I have skim read for a while and he does seem come across well in trying to answer questions and imo tries to be as open as he can be! I mean at the end of the day, if you don't like them, you don't have to watch them (y) . I mean the more car content the better as far as I am concerned!