BMW e21 323i

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
So this is my BMW e21 323i, had it for a couple of months now. After about 6-9 months of searching I was beginning to realise just how few E21’s there are for sale, let alone the 323i that I ideally wanted, so couldn’t believe it when this came up locally. It had been in dry storage for the last 6 years so was in pretty good condition, but obviously needed a full service and a few other things attended to.

After a fair bit of work this is how it now sits...

IMG_1609, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1559, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1564, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1568, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1553, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1551, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1580, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1589, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1618, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1627, 2 s.jpg

Last edited:

soupz

RMS Regular
OP
soupz
Drives
Boxster S
This is how it looked when I got it.

DSC_0854, 2 s.jpg

DSC_0851, 2 s.jpg

It already had a few nice additions, including the 15x7” MIMs and BBS front splitter, but the first thing to sort were those chrome arches!lol Also removed the chrome strips on the door sills and chrome rings on some of the switches inside. Changed the tacky gearknob for a nice plain Rickbrook item that seems to tie in well with the handbrake and Moto Lita steering wheel.

DSC_0880-01, 2, 2 s.jpg

It’s recently had the following replaced; battery, radiator, rear shocks, front and rear brake pads, rear discs, 4 tyres, 2 genuine backboxes, and all fluids changed. The brakes (or lack thereof) take a bit of getting used to and definitely help you appreciate how good modern brakes are, which is slightly concerning when you consider this was the only model with disc brakes on both front and rear! Thanks to Jonny at Ai Autosport who done an overhaul on the wiring through the engine bay and under the dash, and also fitted a set of 35mm H&R springs which have massively helped both the handling and looks of the car – even though they seem to have lowered the front more like 60mm!

DSC_0911, 2 s.jpg

Had to make a false floor for the boot as the carpet was just falling into the spare wheel well, turned out to more tricky than I had planned as the boot opening isn’t as big as the boot floor, but got it just about right after quite a few trimmings with the jigsaw. Also love the way old BMW’s come with the toolkit, this one is mostly completely.

DSC_0864, 2 s.jpg

IMG_1587, 2 s.jpg

The car has leather seats, which are in very good condition, although they don’t seem to be original to the car. The rest of the interior was also in pretty good condition, just let down by the badly faded carpet. Couldn't find replacements anywhere so I have dyed them black and think it has a made a great transformation.

20170719_214346, 2 s.jpg

20170719_214224, 2 s.jpg

20170719_214011, 2 s.jpg

Fitted a set of pressed plates at the weekend and that’s about it for now, I have to it a standard that I’m happy to drive it and take it to the odd meet. Surprises me just how old it feels to drive compared to the likes of my mk1 MX5 (less than 15 years between registration dates), but then I guess a lot of the technology in this was developed in the 60’s. Still, the 6 cylinder sounds nice and it seems to get a good few looks out on the road.

IMG_1636, 2 s.jpg

Last edited:

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
That's great work. Even the brakes on my e34 m5 aren't that great compared to modern stuff and take a while to get used to. It's sitting perfect in those top pics.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
@soupz

A lot of love for this on here as expected. Genuinely guys this is such a cool car in the flesh and very very clean. I love the bonnet up picture for some reason lol & also the slight nose down stance.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Love it and love the colour! Looks the same as my E34.

If only I could get my hands on one of these or a 2002 style one with the alpina bubble arches and shark nose style front running an m3 engine.

rwdmad

Banned
Drives
ae86 and sierra
That looks great. Definitely a head turner. (y) enjoy

The only thing I would possibly change, and its just me being slightly weird, but possibly getting a period plate for the car. @Coog did this for the metro if I remember.
Speedy reg might have a year related plate for that bmw

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Splendid!!! My mum always talked about buying one this shape back in the day!!

Looks a superb example

micko

RMS Regular
Drives
B6 A4 / E30 320i
What a car! Just love it.
As you say, these are such a rare sight now. One of the best colours and subtle mods set it off.
Hope my '86 E30 comes out half as nice!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That looks great. Definitely a head turner. (y) enjoy

The only thing I would possibly change, and its just me being slightly weird, but possibly getting a period plate for the car. @Coog did this for the metro if I remember.

Yup, looking at the photos again I think a period reg would be a nice touch. As said, Coog got his for free too I recall.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The car looks class. Great colour and looks to be in super condition too (as usual for you). Couldn't tell you the last time I saw one of those on the road.

Yup, looking at the photos again I think a period reg would be a nice touch. As said, Coog got his for free too I recall.

Yes all it took was a letter and a few pictures of the wee car. Nothing demanding, just a polite note to explain the beardiness of the whole situation. No idea if it was the original reg from the car or they just gave me an unallocated Belfast one from 1985, but either way worth a letter to see what they can do. I can't remember who I wrote to, you might need to search through the thread on the Metro to find out - I think I photo'd the letter they replied with (or just Google it).

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.