BMW E36 COMPACT 328i TRACK/RALLY CAR

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
Drives
R31 Skyline
Started this last year and have recently got back to work at her so thought I post her up

Bought this wee automobile a [TEXT SPEAK] back.

Havent really got much time at her lately, but, have got the coilovers in, the half cage, and the braces on the floor for mounting the seats.

Have an E36 325i running gear waiting to go in along with shims for the steering arms for extra lock and the camber bolts.

Hopefully will have her finished soon and I will kep her posted on here.

imgp2135l.jpg

imgp2140t.jpg

imgp2137r.jpg

imgp2139e.jpg

imgp2138e.jpg

ENGINE BAY IS A BIT BARE BUT WE WILL TRY AND FIX THAT

ANY IDEAS OR FEEDBACK POST IT
So took into her las nite and got her pulled into the shed.

Then decided against the 325i engine and have changed for a 328i engine which is superchipped to about 200 or so, then when I set the 325I intake manifold on this should bring her up round the 220 mark.I think that this will be mental in a car that only weighs around 1ton(going to put on weigh bridge at t-met when finished to see)
imgp2196o.jpg

imgp2197p.jpg

Had to remove a few brackets from the chassis legs as these are different from a 6cyl BMW and also change the Power Steering pipes to 6cyl ones, but finally gotthe engine sitting in place.
imgp2199r.jpg

Tonight will be the Clutch off a 325TDS which will be able to handle more torque, the gearbox and prop in place and the front anti-roll bar swapped for a 6cyl one which is deeper.
Okay, the new updates for the Compact...:thumb:

First of all got her turned the sensible way around and put her onto the lift to do all of the work to the underneath of her.

imgp2200.jpg

imgp2201.jpg

Once I got her up I got the diff dropped down and got the back plate off to get her welded.

imgp2202.jpg

imgp2207ht.jpg

Wee brother(PURE TANG) admiring the cogs all being stuck together.:laughing:

imgp2205v.jpg

After this we had to go around and get the gearbox off the 325TDS for the flywheel clutch and pressure plate, which, might I add was a pure **** lying underneath her with the wind and the rain baitin' down on ya!!:cry:

imgp2203o.jpg

Got that bolted on then and hoked out the 5speed box out of the 328i

imgp2204q.jpg

Basically then bolted the box in t ****.

imgp2206.jpg

Had to go after this and mismatch a few propshafts as the one on the end of the box was bent. Got that bolted up and got the diff back into place with the backplate on.

imgp2209f.jpg

imgp2208a.jpg

Started to take into the exhaust and got it bolted on at the Manifolds, but the back half has to be fabricated a bit due to the compact being smaller at the back than the coupe or saloons.

imgp2210r.jpg

Next on the agenda is to finish the exhaust, then plumb up the engine and electrics, then bleed the clutch and see if she will turn over:thumb:

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Day 3 of the big push to get the Compact Finished.

Got all of the pipes cut and tacked to the shape that the exhaust needed to be, Then got her all welded.

imgp2211.jpg

imgp2213e.jpg

Then got her fitted and onto the car thank god.

imgp2216.jpg

imgp2220w.jpg

After this the wiring had to be took into, which wasnt too bad until an immobiliser which she had before my time had to be cut out, but got her all wired and turning over!!:grinning:

imgp2215i.jpg

imgp2218.jpg

After that siege I thought I'd do something a bit handy and finish off the wiring for the battery in the boot.

imgp2217v.jpg

So for Day 4 it will be basically completely building her back together with the seats and the frontal stuff i.e. Rads, pipes etc.... And dont worry there will be a video of her first drive out of the shed/diff in the yard!!.:clap3:

imgp2221.jpg

Day 4 of the Drift Car and basically I got the engine bay finished and got the front stuff bolted on i.e....bumper, front panel, radiator, electric fan off an M3 etc.etc...

imgp2226s.jpg

After this we bled the clutch, which mite I add is not a thing that I will be wanting to do again in a ****ing hurry!!
Then it was time for her to drive out of the shed......Video as promised with a wee celebratory diff.lol.:laughing:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/COP5nXQ2t2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

imgp2224ow.jpg

imgp2225c.jpg

Now all that has to be done is the seats and harnesses and all of the stupid wee bits to have her tidy. Will keep these posted to show how she finally looks all clean and perfect. :grinning:

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Finally got my finger out of my hole again and taking another stab at the compact. Trying my best to get her ready for Alltrack RSA at Nutts Corner

Put in My spacers for extra lock, cant get anymore unles I cut a hole in the chassis leg.lol
pn7t.jpg

Stuck the headlights into her and got the bonnet pins and boot catches sorted
enoq.jpg

ut73.jpg

Have a long list for tonight but little by little shes getting there
Last night I done a we service with new plugs, oil, filters...etc.etc...
aow4.jpg

Put in my camber bolts in the bottom of the hubs. Still need to get my 20mm spacers on though as the top of the wheel is solid to the side of the coilover. Pictures here but wheel isn't bolted up right due to it hitting coilover so the camber will be more than you can see in the photos.
wde5.jpg

9l11.jpg

Last things I need to get done on the lift now is a wishbone in the drivers front, drilled discs in the front, get a sump guard on and then get the passengers wing off to sort out where Im going to run the kill switch pull cable through.

After that its all focus on the:
Front half of the cage
Passengers bucket seat mounted
Thinning out wiring and wiring up the essentials(Kill Switch/Fans etc..)
Harnesses
Lighten even more....Perspex windows, remove all sound proofing.....
Front Strut brace(still waiting from fleabay)

I wouldn't be putting as much work in if I was just going to drift her, but I've booked in for the Alltrack RSA at Nutts Corner now so haven't got a choice.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
I have loads of 17 inch rally/track tyres if you need any for the rallysport association

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Not going to run 17's. Running 16's instead. Got a load of 16" slicks a wile back and just have to cut them.

*UPDATE*
Getting the cage finished on Monday and have the Autospark coming at the weekend to get all the wiring sorted.
Changing to a welded medium case diff and driveshafts out of an E30 Sport. The back end will be the only thing that could let me down on the day.

This Sunday week I'll hopefully be in Nutts Corner going buck mad, and there a huge entry list.

http://www.protosport.co.uk/rsa/entry_list/list.htm

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Not going to run 17's. Running 16's instead. Got a load of 16" slicks a wile back and just have to cut them.

*UPDATE*
Getting the cage finished on Monday and have the Autospark coming at the weekend to get all the wiring sorted.
Changing to a welded medium case diff and driveshafts out of an E30 Sport. The back end will be the only thing that could let me down on the day.

I had awful bother with breaking drivshafts.. Best thing to do is get reconditioned ones.. I did that an they havnt broke since :grinning:

This Sunday week I'll hopefully be in Nutts Corner going buck mad, and there a huge entry list.

http://www.protosport.co.uk/rsa/entry_list/list.htm

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Cool project. Interesting choice for the altrak. I used to do it in my early teens in a nova.

Any pics of your seat mounts you welded in? Are u making the cage yourself?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Nice project there. Compact handy enough to hold sideways with the size of it?

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
NEW UPDATE AFTER NUTTS CORNER on the 10/11/13

Got the wee BM out to the track at the weekend.
She was going perfect the night before and half way round my first lap started going off cylinders so I pulled the pin after the 3 stage as it was a complete waste of time with no power.
g85a.jpg

Now that I have got her out and realise what problems I have there is now a new list of stuff to do.

PULL OUT ENGINE AND REPLACE EVERY PIPE And CHECK WIRING
CHANGE TO Z3 ///M EXHAUST SYSTEM(Already have)
FIT MY LSD WITH 4.44 Ratio(Witing on crown wheel and pinion)
FIT AN M50 INLET
CHANGING TO AN ELECTRIC KILL SWITCH SYSTEM
GET MY STRUT BRACE FITTED
AND A FEW OTHER STUPID BITS I HAVE IN MY HEAD.

After being down there I have realised its not all about what power you have under the bonnet its how the car uses it.
A welded diff is totally useless as she just kept pushing the nose.

Hopefully will be out at Aghadowey in 4 weeks, but if she isnt reliable she wont be going

Starting tonight so will keep the updates coming...:thumb:

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
A few pics of the roll cage finished before I go the bucket seats in
ut0d.jpg

xcfj.jpg

sqpu.jpg

wslk.jpg

:up:A BIG THANKS TO STEVEN MCKENNA WHO FABRICATED THE FRONT HALF, RAISED THE BACK HALF AND ADDED EXTRA BARS, WOULD RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE!!(07799364241):up:

Have literally pulled the engine bay apart to fix why she is going off cylinders. Turns out that the Lambda Sensor were scrap, crankshaft sensor was stopping working when hot due to the aluminium housing crushing it, and there were 3 or 4 pipes under the inlet which were cracked letting in extra air!! Just waiting to get all the replacements and then build this back up
hq1v.jpg

s2l6.jpg

kzdv.jpg

e3c8.jpg

Thank got for empty Chinese containers lol
9hkr.jpg

The 325i Sport LSD
23xn.jpg

The LSD and sriveshafts fitted after a lot of wrestling!!
he0j.jpg

I have now decided that I will be able to have her finished for friday night so bought a few 2nd hand slicks and I am now out again on sunday. http://www.protosport.co.uk/rsa/entry_list/list.htm

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
I have her at my house....its too busy here to get any work done with cars on and off the lift all the time.

Doing it all on the ground, but at least it stays in the one place and don't lose anything.

CC has just left his Coupe 328i down for a cage today so he will be joining the action in a couple of weeks.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
I shall see you at nutts corner on sunday then :grinning: My first outing running the supercharged motor..

Fair play to you for working so hard to get her out again so quick

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Seen another BMW on the entry list with a big 'S' beside 2000cc, thought it could only be you.lol.

It is a class wee event.

I wasn't going to push as hard to get her ready, but Motorsport is like a drug you just want more and more of it!!

Also the small budget that I started with has been threw out the window and now I seem to be spending all my money on the Compact. Better than pissing it up against a wall at the weekend I suppose.:p

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Yeah she was going well. Still feels like she's down a tiny bit but I'm going to look about getting more power now coz I'm going to be using 18" competition tyres next time.

On the 3rd stage I came in and we were all sittin' round her talking and then next thing a bang followed by PSSSHHHHHHHHTTTTTTT!!!!!! and steam everywhere.
one of the pipes going to the heater matrix finally gave way and exploded. I thought that the engine had popped and face drained.lol

New silicone hoses are next me thinks

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
I'll try and get them up tonight. They're on the iPad and it sickens my ***** trying to work it.

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
I'm back out again in Nutts corner on the 16th of Feb so I've went mad on eBay and round the country gathering up bits.

For this time out I'm going to be running 15" Slicks which are 2nd's off the C2 R2 rally cars

and I've bought all this stuff to keep me going :p
$(KGrHqR,!hoFC8Tys6G2BQ6++(iIHg~~60_1.JPG Braided Clutch Hoses and brake hoses as the pedals got very spongy towards the end of the last day
$_1 (1).JPG A Harry Hockley High rise Spoiler
$_1 (2).JPG $_1 (3).JPG Set of 70mm arch extensions and another set of hubcentric 25mm spacers
$_1.JPG Silicone water hoses for the rad and I'm still trying to source ones for the heater matrix
$T2eC16h,!zoE9s5ngw6DBRV+69zpQQ~~60_1.JPG False floor riser so my foot wont slip off the throttle pedal anymore.lol
$T2eC16J,!zQE9s3sr!DeBRQbH6ZPk!~~60_1.JPG A BBTB for the M50 Inlet I'm sticking on
$T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3Kft7TBRkNdKvpzQ~~60_1.JPG Elf Competition ST oil, filter and a new fan belt. She cooked the last oil and the tappets were about to jump out of her
SUKoMwz.jpg Finally a wee hydraulic handbrake

I'm currently watching a full polybushing kit but I'm not sure if I'll get time to get the all in, but definitely need the rear subframe ones now that I have switched to Competition tyres.

AS IM GETTING THE PARTS ON AND IN ETC...ETC... I'LL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED ;)

This started out as a bit of a laugh and now its starting to get serious :confounded:

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Set on the wider arches to see what they look like.

Need to get the 2.8 Z3 wheels bought before they are put on to fill them out a bit

Last edited:

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I was wondering where @pablo 's old E36 compact went :p

Some work poured into this wagon - great project thread (y)

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Finally have got back to the compact and got her up on the axle stands to finish her off for Nutts Corner again.

Started off by making up a switch panel from the bottom of the dash to the tunnel as I want to but in a flip cover holder where the radio is supposed to go for my time card and things.

Got my drilled and grooved discs and 328 front calipers on. Great Upgrade on the tiny non vented 316i front calipers and discs

Fabricated up a hydraulic Handbrake and got it sitting where I want it. Just a matter of plumbing it up now.

Fabricated up a Battery box instead of the ****ty clamp I had on before

Stuck on the Braided clutch hose which should help with clutch fade whenever the fluid heats way up.

Finally stuck on my Eisenmann Rear silencer to quieten her down a bit. The last day the max was supposed to be 105DB. Mine turned out to be 117DB. :laughing:

Really just stupid bits to get finished on her and want to get her down to my Uncle next Wednesday to get a few stickers done.
I'll Get there yet!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.