BMW e39 540i M Sport

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Thought I would set up a thread about my future daily driver. And the unusual way I'm buying it.

So my current car is a Golf R Estate. The car is a lease, and is due to go back at the start of June.

I'm currently selling my house and hoping to get a bigger mortgage, so I want my next car to be a car with no finance. My budget is around £5k. I want something quick, rare, interesting, reasonably big and with 4 doors for the family.
My top choices where either a mark 5 R32, an old Impreza or Evo, a Forester STI or a BMW e90 330 touring.

Then I spotted a nice e39 2004 540i Touring for sale in London on Gumtree. Unfortuately it sold within 5 days. My Dad had a 540i 20 years ago and I still remember the car to this day, I loved it. It ticks every box and its also got a monster 4.4 litre V8! So I decided my next car was going to be a 540i.

The search began, I've got plenty of time so I was in no rush. There where plently of cars within my budget but they where all high mileage. Everything else was either an M5 lookalike or priced way too high. There also seemed to a few low mileage Japanese import 540i's for sale at a few dealers but they where still just out of my budget.

So I came up with a plan, I was going to try and import my own one from Japan!

So last week I registered for jdmauctionwatch.com. A company that gives you access to all the cars at the live Japanese auctions. When you spot one you want to bid on, they send someone to bid on it. If you win, they organise all the transport and shipping to the port of your choice. The amount you bid is the total amount you want to spend for everything.

It didn't take long for the perfect one to come up. A 2001, Topaz Blue, 70k miles, grade 4 (the best grade available for an 18 yr old car) every extra under the sun including a TV, old school car phone, and an electric blind for the back window.

If this was for sale in the UK I think it would cost somewhere between £6500 - £8k. I put in a max bid of £5250. This would be the total I would have to spend including all the shipping costs. Not only would the car be a bargain but Japan don't salt their roads, and with the warm dry climate, their cars are known for being in far better condition than UK cars of a similar age.

I went to bed on Friday while the auction was going live in Japan. When I woke up I logged into jdmauctionwatch.com and clicked on the car. It said the car was sold, but that was it! It didn't say for how much or to who. I emailed to see if I won.

I got a quick response saying we won! The final price was £5440. (The hammer price was £2600). More than I wanted to spend but apparently they have a company policy to go over a little if they think the car is almost won. He also mentioned the car was all the way in Kyushu which means expensive inland transport to the port so maybe this why its £190 over. To be honest, I don't care. I would of been gutted if I'd missed out by only £190.

So thats where I'm up to. Tomorrow I get an invoice for 75%. Then I pay the last 25% when the car arrives in Dublin. With the car I get all the paper work I have to send away to get the V5. Then its up to me to get the car MOT'd and undersealed.
Once I pay the 75% the car is transported to the port and inspected and photographed by their agents in Japan. Then I can track the ship all the way to Dublin, which should take 8 - 10 weeks.

I'll keep this thread up to date along the way until I get the car. I thought anyone else thinking about importing a car from Japan might like to see how the process works. I've never done this before so I'm intrested to find out myself!

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 21.35.32.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 21.35.21.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 21.35.08.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 21.35.49.png

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Holy **** thats amazing, never thought euro stuff would be imported thought would all be DC5’s and Evos.

Subscribed

Edit:

I watch this fella on YouTube he imported a Evo 6 from Japan himself and its pretty interesting the process.

Last edited:

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Just watching tonights top gear. All about buying cars in Japan! :joy:

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Looks sweet for the money you picked it up for. E39 is hard to beat.

All of japan isn’t a warm dry climate, and in some places cars can rot very badly, not every car from japan will be rust free.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Looks sweet for the money you picked it up for. E39 is hard to beat.

All of japan isn’t a warm dry climate, and in some places cars can rot very badly, not every car from japan will be rust free.

Your right. Though I'm counting on the famously anal grading system on each cars auction sheet. Mines a grade 4. So in theory it should be a minter. Also the agent who bids for you will always check it over in person.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
That's a great read, and a great buy.

I'm going to have to start bidding on random stuff now!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Be rare enough finding one in Japan in RHD, most seem to be left hookers.
Mad to think you can buy one and have it shipped half way round the world cheaper than one down the road.
Hope it all works out for you, be great to see it on the road.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Be rare enough finding one in Japan in RHD, most seem to be left hookers.
Mad to think you can buy one and have it shipped half way round the world cheaper than one down the road.
Hope it all works out for you, be great to see it on the road.

All the ones I've seen have been RHD.
Though I have spotted a few Alpina B10s which for some reason have always been LHD.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I paid the first 75% today.
Now the shipping details can be confirmed.
My car will now be transported to Yokohama Port which should take approx 10 days. Here JDMauctionwatch will photograph the car in detail and prepare it for shipping. I can't wait to see the photo's!
I had a look on google maps to see where my car is, and where its going. It has to travel most of the country. So I'm guessing I would of saved some money if the car was bought at the Tokyo auction.

I also had a look on the auction watch for anything random. Spotted a nice R36 Passat estate with only 45k miles on it. And a nice Volvo 850 R.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 02.10.02.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 02.21.31.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 02.23.33.png

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Had a look at the specs. Doesn't look like it has the folding mirrors.

Heres all the options on my car.

Option 430, auto-dimming mirrors means you have the big rounded mirrors.
Combined with 459, memory seats - I'd be reasonably confident you'll have folding mirrors too.
Looks like a great options package. Rear blind, Moonroof, Xenons. I'd be well chuffed.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Option 430, auto-dimming mirrors means you have the big rounded mirrors.
Combined with 459, memory seats - I'd be reasonably confident you'll have folding mirrors too.
Looks like a great options package. Rear blind, Moonroof, Xenons. I'd be well chuffed.

Nice one. :cool:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Really interesting. I wonder why alot of the more exotic stuff is LHD? Every Porsche I looked at was

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Really interesting. I wonder why alot of the more exotic stuff is LHD? Every Porsche I looked at was

Think the simple reason is to highlight that they are an expensive import, and that the owner has loads of money!

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Holy **** thats amazing, never thought euro stuff would be imported thought would all be DC5’s and Evos.

Subscribed

Edit:

I watch this fella on YouTube he imported a Evo 6 from Japan himself and its pretty interesting the process.

Just got round to watching the video you shared. I watched all 9 parts! He used JDMauctionwatch, the same company I'm using! Thanks for link, he speaks highly of the company and especially Patrick who is the guy I've been dealing with on my car.

MarcVtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Integra Ty
Cool wee story and looks a superb example too. Can’t wait to see pics when it lands!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Think the simple reason is to highlight that they are an expensive import, and that the owner has loads of money!

Exactly that, all the Yakuza Mercs are left hand drive. Sign of wealth of sorts.

I noticed in top gear the other nice all the Lamborghinis were left hand drive too.

540i from Japan, class!

Will that affect insurance etc?