BMW e39 540i M Sport

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Apologies for filling up your thread with my various ramblings.

Could the fact the car has been sitting a while caused the ABS pump to fail?

Based on the journey time on the boat added with how long it was parked up in Japan I would say thats a considerable amount of time.

Only reason I am saying is because when I bought my M3 the previous owner had it garaged for 7 months and it didn’t move once. Then the ABS pump/module failed 24 hours after I got it home.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Apologies for filling up your thread with my various ramblings.

Could the fact the car has been sitting a while caused the ABS pump to fail?

Based on the journey time on the boat added with how long it was parked up in Japan I would say thats a considerable amount of time.

Only reason I am saying is because when I bought my M3 the previous owner had it garaged for 7 months and it didn’t move once. Then the ABS pump/module failed 24 hours after I got it home.

I think your 100% right. This is the very reason why I think everything has gone wrong in the car. Who knows how long it sat before it even went to auction.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
So good news and bad news.

Good news is, I changed the thermostat a couple of days a ago and that’s cleared the thermostat fault code.

Bad news is that today I checked the fault codes again and I have 3 new ones! All misfire error codes.

The codes are;
62 - misfire detection
50 - misfire detection cylinder 1
57 - misfire detection cylinder 2

Google wasn’t any help, I couldn’t find any info on those faults at all. Anyone know what’s wrong now?

Car seems to be driving good apart from the dodgy abs module/pump. I’m still waiting on a replacement pump.

D7A9C637-3A60-4078-8C97-CA4A2C7C22F1.jpeg

New part thermostat wasn’t straight from BMW. Though a bit of research online and I found that they use Behr parts. Their identical, check out the BMW logo that’s been grinded off.

491BA8CC-04ED-4FA8-B092-5CD9B79618CF.jpeg

Old thermostat

9458D945-DDE4-4878-97B2-7D22E49A6C31.jpeg
0DD04F15-805C-464A-9471-B5568155ABAE.jpeg
6166DDF9-D0ED-42A4-822D-EC8ED1DDC335.jpeg

dddrrift

RMS Regular
plugs been changed yet? then on to coils and switch them with different cylinders, see if the fault moves... although saying that, they look to have missfired at the same time. have you tried just clearing them? You do get sporatic errors like this now and again.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
plugs been changed yet? then on to coils and switch them with different cylinders, see if the fault moves... although saying that, they look to have missfired at the same time. have you tried just clearing them? You do get sporatic errors like this now and again.

Yeah I cleared them and then checked again after a test drive, still gone. Fingers crossed their just a one-off.
Plugs where changed when Car Clinique serviced the car.

Gemma

RMS Regular
@Chris tii my mum said her 350z threw those codes up and it turned out to be her coil pack even tho the car didn't run lumpy.
She switched the coil packs around and cleared them the codes but they came back up again and should come up in a different bank if it's faulty coilpacks if that makes sense

Gemma

RMS Regular
Oops just seen @dddrrift said that lol

Honestly, every time I open your thread, I bang my head of the table for you lol that car would of been long up the road if it was mine haha it's such a Shame as she's gorgeous!!

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Oops just seen @dddrrift said that lol

Honestly, every time I open your thread, I bang my head of the table for you lol that car would of been long up the road if it was mine haha it's such a Shame as she's gorgeous!!

I can’t get rid of the car now, I’m in too deep! :sob:
Though I’m convinced the car hates me, I washed it today and then straight away the front wheel sensor error came up again! :mad:
I replaced that already last month. I think I know what it is though, the part that the sensor clicks into was cracked and I didn’t have any tape on me, to cover it up. And then I totally forgot about it. So I think water got in when I was power washing it. I’ll take the wheel off tomorrow and get it all dried and taped up, fingers crossed it works.

If the misfire codes come back again I’ll change the coil packs and see how I get on. Thanks guys!(y)

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
You’ve done more repairs in a few months than I’ve done to mine in 2 years!
It will be worth it in the end though
If I were you I’d be looking into an m5 interior 8o|

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
New ABS pump went in today, also new calliper. Officially no more faults or warning lights!! Hallelujah!

9FE6C593-4052-4042-B266-40C134C30931.jpeg

Still have the slight steering wobble braking at around 50 mph so it wasn’t the calliper. (Not every time, only now and again) I’ll check the bushes again on Monday.

I also had a new head unit fitted by Audio Access this week. So I now I can listen to the radio (Jap frequencies only went up to 89.99) and I now have Apple play etc.
A95A15F5-86FC-4232-922F-EA80D0AA91B7.jpeg

Also changed the front grill to a new black one. I like it.

E9B04A1E-D531-47BE-BEC6-AF69E02FA38A.jpeg
B3BC01D3-4CD8-496B-AB64-70FC9AC64386.jpeg

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
That head unit looks tidy, I have the widescreen nav but it’s ancient now

Not sure what my old one was. Your right though, it dated the car. I’m glad I swapped it.

D9FC7992-85EE-4E9C-9B77-5D727D5C1928.jpeg
9DDDD9C6-3DA5-4D81-9FB1-AB8AE35EA782.jpeg

The guys at Audio Advice are really good. I plan to back in a couple of weeks to have a reverse camera fitted. And they need to change a couple of things because the steering wheel volume button has stopped working.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Glad to hear you are making progress @Chris tii

Did you swap the clocks as they are in MPH?

It’s also amazing that a head unit can bring a car bang up to date as there is 2018 5 Series that don’t have car play.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Glad to hear you are making progress @Chris tii

Did you swap the clocks as they are in MPH?

It’s also amazing that a head unit can bring a car bang up to date as there is 2018 5 Series that don’t have car play.

Yeah I changed the dials when I had the pixels fixed. KPH was so annoying.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Good job on the head unit, the one nav is dire. Was the same in the E53.

An NBT or CIC retrofit would’ve been fairly epic, but big £ in this.

Grills wouldn’t be for me personally. I would’ve keeping a gem like this pretty standard.

Lee

RMS Regular
Love that headunit! I'd love to be knowledgable about that kind of stuff.

Black grilles aren't for me but I never liked them.

Thats some car you have now. Bet you're glad you stuck by it.

Gemma

RMS Regular
I personally like the chrome kidney grill on yours as the black doesn't stand out as much cause the car is dark, no contrast

Were as the black works on mine cause the car is red and black stands out against the red

Glad to hear you've everything sorted :laughing:

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
421B3946-8535-43CA-AA66-3C22A4F25BA5.jpeg
0C569F5E-F649-4B59-81EA-4756BE09381E.jpeg
5DEED24A-B2C3-4A09-A4A5-FB3AD329591F.jpeg
So I’ve found out why my mpg isn’t good. Looks like I have a fuel leak.