Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
BE9A0149-35F3-4923-8E10-3FCDBC30DAA4.jpeg
4DD8CEA8-EE09-4E27-8E34-176AA09FE6E4.jpeg
Ok, so today I swapped over the speed sensor. Reset the fault code but the DSC warning light is still on? Looked at the faults again and the speed sensor wasn’t showing up but now there’s a new one!
Code 140 - Output thermostat map cooling.

Google didn’t give me too much info but I’m guessing it’s time for a new thermostat. Just hope the engine doesn’t overheat in the meantime! Though I’m not sure why that would set off the DSC light? Surely a faulty thermostat would set off the check engine light not the DSC?
Any thoughts?

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
View attachment 219201 View attachment 219202 Ok, so today I swapped over the speed sensor. Reset the fault code but the DSC warning light is still on? Looked at the faults again and the speed sensor wasn’t showing up but now there’s a new one!
Code 140 - Output thermostat map cooling.

Google didn’t give me too much info but I’m guessing it’s time for a new thermostat. Just hope the engine doesn’t overheat in the meantime! Though I’m not sure why that would set off the DSC light? Surely a faulty thermostat would set off the check engine light not the DSC?
Any thoughts?

I think theres a way with INPA to take a reading of what the speed sensors are returning might be worth looking into to make sure they all match up.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Lovely motor but you’ve had a seriously hard time with it!

Yeah I know! Either I’m jinxed or the car is. I’m pretty sure once its finally sorted, I’m owed many trouble free miles!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Yeah thats the menu, odd that the DSC light is on. And its only returning that one code for the thermostat?

Just whatever you do don't sell it once you get it sorted as why go through all that hassle for someone else to have trouble free motoring lol

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I know you have it propped up with wood, but buy yourself a trolley jack, hate the sight of those scissor jacks!

Car is looking well now, hope you get the issues sorted and get to enjoy it. Would you still recommend the import route as I might have done something silly myself lately!

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I know you have it propped up with wood, but buy yourself a trolley jack, hate the sight of those scissor jacks!

Car is looking well now, hope you get the issues sorted and get to enjoy it. Would you still recommend the import route as I might have done something silly myself lately!

Lol. Yeah, it’s actually bricks under the car. I thought I would rather it fell onto bricks than my head!
Have you bought something in Japan? I would recommend it 100% believe it or not. I’ve been unlucky with mine but it’s all been mechanical. As far as condition goes, the Japanese stuff it’s like new.
When I was looking at UK e39s the difference was massive. Most had rust bubbles or had been repaired. My one doesn’t even have surface rust on any of the underside. You can still see the original stickers on the sway bars etc.
46B5C1BB-75F5-45F2-902E-605AB1DA03FA.jpeg

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
So I’ve ordered a new thermostat. I’ve also got a new MAF sensor on the way in a bid to improve MPG. Obviously I didn’t buy a 4.4L V8 for economy but 14-15 mpg is a bit depressing. The word on the e39 Facebook page is that I should expect low 20’s. One person says their getting 30 mpg in their 540i! (Yeah right ^o))

In the meantime I decided to give myself an early Christmas present and got some tyres onto the 18 inch BBS wheels I bought a while ago.

590251FA-FD11-4977-999C-8BD5CA6BC9CE.jpeg
D49C8A41-DC37-46EF-B514-FEC5FBC45811.jpeg
1A39CF89-758D-4B6A-A9B7-E3A5218F25E3.jpeg

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Looking sweet Chris
Lol 30mpg
Mine gets about 18, but the 740 with the same engine as you’re 540 averages 25

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Lovely stuff. Wheels and rear plate wouldn’t be for me, but all in all it’s a fantastic car.

I’m glad to see you’re finally able to enjoy it too.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Had a look. I think this is the speed sensors. They all seem fine.

View attachment 219209

you need to spin the wheel to see the output, or drive the car with a passenger and INPA in use. in that photo all the voltages are zero, as the car is stationary.
The code you pulled, did that come from the DSC module? or from the engine ecu? the water thermostat wont have anything to do with the traction light.
Try reseting the steering angle at dead ahead position, dont touch the wheel, ignition off, ignition on, clear all dsc error codes. ignition off and on and start. I noticed on e39/e53 dsc modules it seems to take a certain combination of actions to resolve traction light issues with strange codes.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
you need to spin the wheel to see the output, or drive the car with a passenger and INPA in use. in that photo all the voltages are zero, as the car is stationary.
The code you pulled, did that come from the DSC module? or from the engine ecu? the water thermostat wont have anything to do with the traction light.
Try reseting the steering angle at dead ahead position, dont touch the wheel, ignition off, ignition on, clear all dsc error codes. ignition off and on and start. I noticed on e39/e53 dsc modules it seems to take a certain combination of actions to resolve traction light issues with strange codes.

Ok thanks! I’ll give it a go.

Should I be driving the car with the thermostat fault? Should it be parked up until it gets fixed?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
does the temp needle sit at 12 oclock position and stay there when warmed up? if so your thermostat is fine.

did you pull that code from the dsc module?

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Yeah the thermostat sits at 12 o’clock fine.

I’m not sure about the all the code stuff, I just linked the car up and checked for faults. Here’s what it says;
897D6650-863D-4C77-BECC-4ACB5BCED16A.png

dddrrift

RMS Regular
when you open inpa, select e39, then go for DSC, not engine, not sure what version firmware your DSC is but it will let you in with a message that says ‘versions do no match’ or something like that!
hit error memory and see whats on there. you should be able to reset the steering angle in there too.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
when you open inpa, select e39, then go for DSC, not engine, not sure what version firmware your DSC is but it will let you in with a message that says ‘versions do no match’ or something like that!
hit error memory and see whats on there. you should be able to reset the steering angle in there too.

Nice one. I’ll give it a go later tonight. Thanks.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii

Thanks for your advice!
Checked it there. And there is another error. Code 88, the bloody ABS module again. Looks like the second hand one that John Leacock programmed for me is either faulty as well or he didn’t do it right.
Luckily I’m psychic and had a feeling it was this again, so I sent my original module and pump away to be rebuilt last Wednesday. They should be back to work Thursday so fingers crossed it arrives back early next week. Then I’ll get the thermostat and the rebuilt pump fitted. And finally I might just have this beast good to go!
AF0720C4-6A47-43BC-AE6D-149B7DB1B97B.jpeg

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Went onto a 5 series forum

One boy is saying ABS/DSC module rebuild another is saying change the battery

EA6ABB6A-46BD-4393-99D8-FB746B246814.png