RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Looking well Graham.

They are a great car when looked after.
Cheers. Almost there with her.

Having used the last fill as a means to get an accurate economy figure, I'm happy enough that she's sitting at 30mpg. Especially considering that probably 150 of those miles were driven in DS, or Manual mode on anything less than economical terrain.

Screenshot_20211024_232108_com.android.chrome.jpg

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Another wee update on this big lady. It went to Bavarian Belfast for an urgent safety recall last week.

There is, what I gather, a mains lead junction box in the boot, which over the years has caused fires due to corrosion.

When in the workshop, they do there free inspection and the list they gave me for urgent stuff came to more than I paid for the car.

Job 1, replace one of the new Continental's as a pot hole blistered the side wall. The tyre was already sitting waiting for me at Kwik Fit, and it's now replaced.

Job 2, replace broken rear spring, which will be done in the next few days. They quoted over £750 to replace the pair of rear springs. I have a spring sitting here for sub £50 all in and need to bang it in ASAP.

Job 3, replace rear of exhaust system due to a, wait for it, broken hanger. Cost, over £850. I took it to Weld 'er Up in Ards today and it was repaired by welding the hanger back onto the system at two points for the price of a two course pub grub lunch.

Job 4, new discs and pads at one end, over £350. Pads are as new at present, but with a bit of a lip of the disc they claim the whole lot is required. There's eff-all wrong with them.

Job 5, oil leak where shaft enters diff, over £350. It can be described as nothing other more than damp. It'll do another 114k without an actual leak I'd say.

I really, really feel for those car owners out there who genuinely don't know any better, or different, to going by the word of a main dealers workshop and their hilarious pricing!

IMG_20211110_102815.jpg
IMG_20211110_104509.jpg
IMG_20211110_104514.jpg

Last edited:

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Another wee update on this big lady. It went to Bavarian Belfast for an urgent safety recall last week.

There is, what I gather, a mains lead junction box in the boot, which over the years has caused fires due to corrosion.

When in the workshop, they do there free inspection and the list they gave me for urgent stuff came to more than I paid for the car.

Job 1, replace one of the new Continental's as a pot hole blistered the side wall. The tyre was already sitting waiting for me at Kwik Fit, and it's now replaced.

Job 2, replace broken rear spring, which will be done in the next few days. They quoted over £750 to replace the pair of rear springs. I have a spring sitting here for sub £50 all in and need to bang it in ASAP.

Job 3, replace rear of exhaust system due to a, wait for it, broken hanger. Cost, over £850. I took it to Weld 'er Up in Ards today and it was repaired by welding the hanger back onto the system at two points for the price of a two course pub grub lunch.

Job 4, new discs and pads at one end, over £350. Pads are as new at present, but with a bit of a lip of the disc they claim the whole lot is required. There's eff-all wrong with them.

Job 5, oil leak where shaft enters diff, over £350. It can be described as nothing other more than damp. It'll do another 114k without an actual leak I'd say.

I really, really feel for those car owners out there who genuinely don't know any better, or different, to going by the word of a main dealers workshop and their hilarious pricing!

View attachment 341209View attachment 341210View attachment 341211

This is exactly why I don't get excited when someone produces massive bills for an old car from a main dealer - it usually means they were being fleeced and does not mean the car will be faultless mechanically either. Have seen stuff with 3 or 4k thrown at it and the most of it could have been sorted for next to nothing or didn't need done at all!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
In fairness, they did the check and told you a few things that needed looked at.

Pricing can be hilarious 😅 🙈 Volvo wanted £450 for rear pads on the P*. The rear brakes were exactly the same as on any other V60, they're not £450 just because there is a wee blue badge on the boot 😅

But they have also been really helpful with unearthing obscure and hard to find parts for the 850.

Swings and roundabouts.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
In fairness, they did the check and told you a few things that needed looked at.

Pricing can be hilarious 😅 🙈 Volvo wanted £450 for rear pads on the P*. The rear brakes were exactly the same as on any other V60, they're not £450 just because there is a wee blue badge on the boot 😅

But they have also been really helpful with unearthing obscure and hard to find parts for the 850.

Swings and roundabouts.
I even got a wee video tour of it lol
Mines going in on the 24th. How long did they have it for Graham?
Dropped in at 1000 and was told 1530 pick up, but was ready around 1430.

It's back again next week for another recall job, the parts for which are on back order.

For a 2007 car that I've not even owned for six months, it's surprising they still give a ****.
This is exactly why I don't get excited when someone produces massive bills for an old car from a main dealer - it usually means they were being fleeced and does not mean the car will be faultless mechanically either. Have seen stuff with 3 or 4k thrown at it and the most of it could have been sorted for next to nothing or didn't need done at all!
Indeed. I'd say everything that needs done will be sorted for about £200. That's a tenth of that they think is acceptable.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just wait until you get into a newer car and you don't have a choice but going to a main dealer as nobody else can get into their systems for diagnostics, clearing codes, etc. in their proprietary systems 🙈

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
They can’t give me a courtesy car due to Covid, they normally would have which I was quite surprised at.

Dreading the list on mine 😂

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
They can’t give me a courtesy car due to Covid, they normally would have which I was quite surprised at.

Dreading the list on mine 😂
I had a few pieces of work to do at Daly's Hyundai, just round the corner really on the Falls Road. They wouldn't even give me a lift round.

Yet Daly's offered me refreshments, a socket for the laptop, WiFi and a lift anywhere I wanted, once I'd got my work complete.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Just wait until you get into a newer car and you don't have a choice but going to a main dealer as nobody else can get into their systems for diagnostics, clearing codes, etc. in their proprietary systems 🙈

This!

This is why I will keep older vehicles alive for as long as possible. I hate the thought of having to ring a dealer to do anything and there rates are ridiculous...

@Graham

These really are a cracking good car. It's also hard to believe that this recall is outstanding for over 10years at this stage. There was also a fault in the Heated Seats pads at the start. They overheated and caused some major burns and a lot of bad smelling leather!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Wee update...

1. Broken rear spring replaced, so it's into @RubberLover tomorrow to check alignment.

2. The car wasn't allowing a dpf regen, all but the coolant parameters were met, so replaced two thermostats, which then allowed a forced regen.

Couple of weeks later, dpf warning again. A full tank of fuel and a lot of ****ing about trying to clear it, to no avail. It was simply too heavily filled.

So, only one thing for it, a trip to long-term site sponsor @auto-tune to sort it once and for all. DPF/EGR delete and software updated to suit.

My word, she's no slouch!

Mpg has increased by at least 12mpg already, which is a huge bonus.

IMG_20220203_185613.jpg

3. Next on the list is to assess and diagnose why the electronically adjusting steering wheel has stopped working. It's put itself into a really daft place before packing in, so I would like it back to where I need it for comfortable driving position.

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Been a busy few weeks. And after probably 1k miles since being at Auto-Tune, the car's averaging circa 10mpg better than before. It also still makes me snigger at how it goes!

Also, when coming home in the rain the other night, I was gobsmacked at the grip the Premium Contact 6's have. Absolutely blown away by them and how they help this big lady drive.

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I hear ya Graham, I'm not sure anything other than ridiculous money would make me let go of mine
Having used it heavily the last couple of weeks, I've only just realised how good a car they are.

The map and tyres really make it.

Even the wife has grown to like it after using it for a few days, which included a run to dublin and back.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
And that's it almost complete as far as my goals for it go. It's actually shiny metallic blue, not hazy white with a dark blue background lol

IMG-20220423-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20220423-WA0032.jpg

I hope to diagnose and sort the steering wheel adjustment next month.