BMW E60 530d...

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
This is a bit of a read...

Volkswagens MkV Golf, in 'Match' trim, has to be one of the greatest hidden gems of modern automotive history.

Having bought one off Jo's father around four years ago as a stop-gap, it ended up becoming our sole family car when the girls were very young.

Yes, it was cramped, and yes, Jo deserved to be in something nicer, but a spanner had been thrown into life's plan when I fell ill and we done what had to be done.

She's since put herself into a Santa FE to cope with family duties, which left me driving the Golf again for the last two years.

Over 50mpg achievable when driven in haste and at least 60mpg at all other times, it wanted for little other than the usual stuff that comes with 125,000 miles of driving on our roads.

It's been a fantastic few years!

That was until I'd lined up its replacement at Easter, soon after which the Volkswagen spat its dummy out. Suspected ECU woes led to headaches and lengthy diagnostics, I soon realised how convenient it is to have a car in the drive, when there isn't one sitting there.

Anyway, going back to the aforementioned replacement; I've hankered after an automatic for years, probably since parting with my Nissan 200sx S14a auto a long time ago.

Recently, the chance to own a car I've fancied for many years, in automatic guise, came to fruition when Jo's uncle said he was parting with his E60 BMW 530d LCI.

Now, an 'SE' trim BMW doesn't sound appealing, but with a handful of all the right, and some rare factory options, I'd have regretted not having a look.

Needless to say, I'm now the proud owner of a car which has aged incredibly well, historically has no indicators, and a vehicle that I hope will stand me well for a few years of wafting around the country!

Along with sunroof, factory tints, rear blind and a tow-bar, some of the more rare options ticked on this one include dual zone automatic climate control, radar cruise control, comfort access, soft closing doors and comfort seats.

As Jo reminded me recently, I'm not getting any younger, so this granda-spec Bavarian is just delightful.

Out with the old and in with the (older) new!

210580640_2947888395463424_3997072330549389886_n.jpg
214160001_2947888438796753_3411459276381427057_n.jpg

210699895_2947888488796748_4462501201542180621_n.jpg
212861542_2947888528796744_7395915941673488930_n.jpg

Last edited:

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
These (especially the interior) have aged so well for an 18 year old design. Health to waft. Something about a well spec’d base model car with a nice big engine!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Lovely and HTD Graham, you deserve something handy to drive...
This big wafter has been a long time coming mate.
Looks in real good condition!! Actuslly like the interior to!
She's no show pony, but for a family car it's in surprisingly good shape.

I'll valet the inside today and then pay someone to do the outside when I can afford it, to bring it back to life.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Very nice Graham. It was a drive in someone’s 525d SE that had me hooked.

I didn’t realise you could even spec soft close in these

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
So I managed to get a few miles onto this today, as I was working in Ballymena.

I'd no idea motoring could be so comfortable!

It's also allowed me to assess a small snag list that needs sorting to make it a better car.

One thing that needs moved up that list is good tyres as the 'Boto - ditch finer' rubber had me sideways on a damp road with no intent on my part.

Last edited:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Fantastic big motors. My dad had his 530d for near 10yrs, great big car and incredibly comfortable. Health to drive, Graham!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Snag 1, complete.

The car is fitted with auto-dimming wing-mirror glass, which had delaminated on the drivers side as is common.

At over £380 for a non BMW piece of glass, I'd hate to have priced them from a dealer.

Needless to say, I opted for a pair of non-dimming blue-tinted items for £34 off Amazon meaning both just got replaced to keep them the same.

IMG_20210716_162651.jpg

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
That is a great colour when properly cleaned G. I'd look about a good detail on it, it will make such a difference...

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
That is a great colour when properly cleaned G. I'd look about a good detail on it, it will make such a difference...
It'll come, but it's last on the snag list.

I'm certain it's never seen any sort of product since it left the showroom.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Snag 2, complete.

The car has a very expensive, factory fitted electrically retractable tow bar that was stuck in the 'out' position, and with a critical error pinging the dash and I-drive system every day it needed sorted urgently.

Option 1, remove it completely and code out the system from the car.

Option 2, replace tow bar for a new one at almost what the car cost me to buy.

Option 3, order a 3D printed metal gear from a chap in Estonia who has found a fix for the price of £77 posted to my door.

The latter replaces a plastic gear within the tow bar mechanism which just gets eaten up over time. It's not something the German tow bar manufacturer can assist with, as they are gagged by BMW, as BMW just want to sell a whole new unit.

It took a capable friend the guts of 3 hours to complete, me helping with what I could, and a call to Jaak in Estonia for some guidance along the way, but we got there.

The faults are now gone from the system and it operates perfectly via the button in the boot.

IMG_20210721_210737.jpg
IMG_20210721_215845.jpg
IMG_20210717_115403.jpg

colin84

RMS Regular
I would advise removing the rubber caps off the ends of the rear sunroof drains. They bung up with so much crap, and like mine did, it can be such a mess.

Do the same for the one in the bulkhead on drivers side, mine had about 2 litres of water in it where the cables feed through.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I would advise removing the rubber caps off the ends of the rear sunroof drains. They bung up with so much crap, and like mine did, it can be such a mess.

Do the same for the one in the bulkhead on drivers side, mine had about 2 litres of water in it where the cables feed through.
Any images of where I'd find these? Thanks for the advice.
What do the girls think of their new limo? :innocent: :cool:
They love it - "fast daddy" lol

colin84

RMS Regular
Any images of where I'd find these? Thanks for the advice.

I had a quick look for the sunroof drains pics, but they seemed to all be for a touring, which comes out behind the rear bumper rather than the wheel arches.

Best bet is to look on YouTube, there is various videos on there. When mine leaked it wrecked the Idrive, bluetooth module, parking sensor module etc etc. Definitely worth doing some preventative work. Some people just clean, I just pulled the rubber end caps off with pliers so it wouldn't happen again.