BMW E60 filler neck missing

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Anybody able to help here.

The cheap 5 series I bought had threw up a surprise problem.

Was looking round the fuel cap this morning and noticed the fuel filler neck is missing and only a tube to the tank is on show.

Going by previous E60’s I have owned this isn’t right and unsure if a diesel nozzle at a garage would fit.

Anybody any advice as I can’t seem to find the missing piece and all seem to be sold as a full fuel tank.

DBFA3687-6900-450D-9F3B-BB32C0DC6067.jpeg

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
Mmmm, interesting.

I just looked up the online BMW catalogue I use and there appears to be no separate part number for the filler neck. The parts list shows a breather hose (02), a hose clamp (03) or the fuel filler cap (21) as parts that can be ordered.

e60.JPG

When I look up the part number for the fuel tank (01) 16117200079 - I can find one 2nd hand on ebay for about 175€ where you can just about see the neck (maybe you will have to go to a breaker?)

s-l1600.jpg

1003652701006_2224927.jpg
1583278017428_bulletin.jpeg

Looks to me that maybe something has broken off inside yours...

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Yeah seems thats what has happened but trying to work out how it happened is the mystery lol.

The car had a quarter of a tank of diesel in it when I bought it so the previous owner has been able to get fuel into it and double checked the fuel its white diesel so its been filled at a forecourt I think.

I have been able to source tanks cheap but its the whole bother of having to drop a fuel tank over something so trivial but can’t seem to find the bit I need without getting a new tank

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I'd say someone has been filling with jars at some stage of its life, and removed the flap at top to make that easier!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
I'd say someone has been filling with jars at some stage of its life, and removed the flap at top to make that easier!

Just leaves me in an annoying situation due to it :worried:

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Next question, anybody have any idea how I can get the metal ring out to fit the missing piece without having to drop the fuel tank?

davemk2

RMS Regular
looks like it clips in when pushed in so id remove the cover along with the black. rubber surrounding it all then you might have enough room to prize the clips up again and slip it back out