BMW E60 Rattle/Clunk HELP

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mpm95

RMS Regular
Hi All,

Recently my E60 has developed a rattle/clunking noise from what I think is the front drivers side which gets worse over bad surfaces, however it goes away when I brake firmly no matter how bad the road surface is, I’ve had the whole front brakes on both sides off and nothing appears to be loose or touching, I also changed the wheel bearing on the drivers at the weekend aswell but it has made no difference, part of me thinks it could be the shock/top mount but the fact it goes away when I brake is putting me off? Anybody any ideas as it’s really starting to wind me up?

Many thanks

PAULW

RMS Regular
Do the front brake calipers still have the anti rattle clip attached? If not, might be the cause of the issue

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
When you brake it will be putting extra load on the suspension compared to driving at a constant speed or accelerating, so it may well still be a suspension component you’ve mentioned such as the top mount or even the drop link. Anti roll bar bushes, arm bushes etc are all worth checking too. You need to get it lifted on a ramp or at least have both wheels off the ground and get a proper pull and haul at all the joints.

Mpm95

RMS Regular
OP
Mpm95
The anti rattle clip is still in place, have removed the disc back plate and it’s still there, the mechanic says the bushings are all fine aswell, I took a video this morning to see if it makes it any easier for use to try and diagnose, it’s a lot louder in the car than on the video

Mpm95

RMS Regular
OP
Mpm95
Hi All,

Still no progress with finding the rattle but the bottom pulley that drives the alternator belt snapped off today so I’m hoping it could have been it rattling about but I doubt it, here’s to hoping (y)

warren

RMS Photographer
I'd be siding towards drop link on that one. My Skoda did something very similar after I changed a spring! Just a constant rattle as your driving along even over reasonably smooth surfaces!

On inspection it looked fine... Until you jack up the arm and find the point where the antiroll bar isn't pulling on it at all and it gave me a tiny bit of play!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
My E90 318d done the same,

I had it lowered on ebay special coils, they were terrible quality and once they were removed the noise stopped

Mpm95

RMS Regular
OP
Mpm95
Hi All,

So after a few Saturdays of swapping out parts the rattle is still there, I have so far changed the front anti roll bar bushings, front control arms, front brake pads, front droplinks and front tie rods both inner and outer

Im starting to think its in the steering rack cause when I pull the wheel at 3 and 9 there is a knock coming from the arm of the steering rack that the tie rod connects to, over the past few weeks the car has started to pull to the left and has wheel wobble from 60mph upwards, I have also noticed it knocks when the steering wheel is turned quickly from left to right, below is a video I took today

Any help is greatly appreciated

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.