bmw e90 335d/e60 535d swirl flap blanking plates which size ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Right i'm gonna buy swirl flap blanking plates for my e90 335d but there is two sizes 22mm or 32mm i am unsure of which size to get, any mechanics on here that has done a set in one of these cars & if so which size is the correct size ? cheers Ross

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
My 06 330D were 32mm blanks if that helps at all.
I got them once before of Pmw for my 530d & they were the 22mm ones so for some reason i thought that the newer models would have the bigger 32mm ones, but the guy i was speaking to on the phone at Pmw said no thats not the case they could be either. He said i could buy both sets & send the ones i dont need back but i was just thinking if anyone has replaced a set on this perticular model & knows the size then id probaly go with that. I hear people saying take of the manifold & check the size but tbh i wouldn't know were to start dong that, i watched a few vids on youtube but it seems you have to take quite a few bits of & i dont really want to start getting into that myself.

RevT

RMS Regular
I got them once before of Pmw for my 530d & they were the 22mm ones so for some reason i thought that the newer models would have the bigger 32mm ones, but the guy i was speaking to on the phone at Pmw said no thats not the case they could be either. He said i could buy both sets & send the ones i dont need back but i was just thinking if anyone has replaced a set on this perticular model & knows the size then id probaly go with that. I hear people saying take of the manifold & check the size but tbh i wouldn't know were to start dong that, i watched a few vids on youtube but it seems you have to take quite a few bits of & i dont really want to start getting into that myself.

It’s handy done from memory. I think two hours had mine stripped and swapped out.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
There is no way of telling until you remove the inlet manifold.

I bought both sizes from 4X 22MM FOR BMW DIESEL SWIRL FLAP BLANKS REPAIR WITH INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS 632963354885 | eBay

And returned the size I didn’t need. They actually encourage you to do this.
mmm... yeah maybe ill just do that then ive got 28 days to return them so thats not to bad, just thought id ask on here. I find it hard to believe that you can have two cars the same model & same year & each of them can have different size swirl flaps ( thats what ive been told) i mean its abit of a joke/nuisance really, what were those Germans thinking of lol

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
I bought a set for the wife’s 325d but when I went to fit them at 35000 miles they weren’t there, not sure in the size beer tokens and you can have them

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It’s handy done from memory. I think two hours had mine stripped and swapped out.

Did you take an hour off in the middle for a nap...? 😂

The inlet manifold comes off in 15 mins. It’s worth spending a bit of time cleaning the manifold prior to fitting the blanking plates too. Just ensure you don’t mix up vacuum lines and stuff when refitting the manifold.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
I bought a set for the wife’s 325d but when I went to fit them at 35000 miles they weren’t there, not sure in the size beer tokens and you can have them
Its alright mate i just ordered both sets, I'll send the ones i don't need back, there not the most expensive things anyway.

RevT

RMS Regular
Did you take an hour off in the middle for a nap...? 😂

No, but I did change the six glow plugs and cleaned the EGR as best I could while I was there, from memory it took me two hours from start to finish to do it all.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
No, but I did change the six glow plugs and cleaned the EGR as best I could while I was there, from memory it took me two hours from start to finish to do it all.

I jest.

I’ve gotten all to familiar with them over the years and can go to the tool box and lift out every tool I’ll need to pull them apart before I start, and the wee 1/4” impact gun makes all the 10mm bolts, 7mm jubilee clips and 11mm nuts between the inlet branches a piece of cake...

RevT

RMS Regular
It was a bit of a pain in the hole I thought in all honesty just to get to glow plugs and their control module. Hopefully never have to do it again as I don’t think I’ll ever have another E90 or E60.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I love the M47 and M57 in anything, be it any BMW variant or Range Rover or whatever. Probably 1 of the easiest worked at engines about when you’re familiar with them. The only difference is the colossal amount of plastic crap that needs removed from the front, top and around the back of the engines to get near them. Scuttles, pollen filter mounts, strut braces etc... All easy enough removed, just time consuming.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
I've watched a good few vids now on how to do this, when my blanking plates arrive I'm gonna give it ago myself. I'll clean the egr to what's the best way to clean it i heard someone say to submerge it in petrol ?

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
Just to let anyone Know that these 335d engines ( N57 model ) you can't get swirl flap blanking plates to fit them, these have a revised manifold & the swirl flaps are different & are seated into a rubber surround in such away that bmw say they cant break of & go down into the engine. I was in the process of removing all the plastic bits today in order to take of the manifold to do the job when i came across a vid on youtube which shows how different the swirl flaps are in this engine. I then phoned up PMW ( were i bought the swirl flaps) & the guy knew exactly what i was saying & said they have a different manifold & no blanking plates are made for them, so i'll have to post them back. anyway if you fast forward the vid below to 9:56 you'll see the crack, for anyone thats interested that is lol. Im glad i didnt have the whole thing apart to find this.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.