BMW Electrical/Window Issue

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I came downstairs this morning and all windows on the X5 were down. I went out to put them up and noticed the sunroof was open too. Turned the ignition on and got them all closed, then went to start it but no joy. The the windows dropped again but wouldn't go up with the switch. Eventually I got the fronts up but then they started to randomly drop an inch at a time until they got half open, then just opened fully.

The only way to get them closed now is to hold the lock button on the remote. But even after this they have just opened again a bit later.

A bit of history; I've had to jump the car twice in the last few weeks, both times after working on the car with a door/window open for an hour or so the night before. Ordinarily this wouldn't be enough to drain the battery, but perhaps its on the way out. There was also the issue where "my friend" jump started it a couple of weeks ago but connected the wrong terminals and sent the car bonkers.

Its been fine since, but I'm wondering would a dodgy battery cause the windows to behave like this? I took it to work yesterday and wasn't out at it last night, so this is the first time it hasn't started with no reason. If the battery is dead, I would've thought it would just not work. Not do random things like this!

Sadly I wasn't able to try and jump it before I left to check all is OK and it does actually start, so my father in law will come over when hes up.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Yep sounds like the battery is done. New one should sort it. The Range Rovers do similar mad things when the battery is not.up to scratch.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Do the windows drop on the key? The do on most other BM's.

I had a problem like this before on a Passat (of all things) and it was actually the door lock barrel. It wasn't quite centred and thought I was dropping the windows on the key (but I wasn't). Try sticking the key in the door and rotating the barrel back & forth a few times and see what happens. Also lock it and bury the keys miles away so they're not transmitting.

Seems like you're getting the full BMW experience anyway lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Good place to start would be battery as Alan says. My E46 was doing all kinds of mad stuff and it was down to the battery being a bit low.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
That's great, didn't think the battery could cause that so it's good to know!

Where did you get your replacement?

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Have you got a multimeter? Voltage should be around 12 at rest and 14 when the engine is running.

I was getting an intermittant battery light plus the air suspension and hill descent control when the alternator went on mine. The body electrics need the battery in top top order to work correctly. Either that or you are pressing the key in your pocket somehow :-#

There is a battery place at the bottom of the Rivenhill Road. Don't go to halfords lol. And make sure you get the correct spec one or else you will still have niggles.

colin84

RMS Regular
Does sounds like a battery problem, but there are a few X5 issues that can put a drain on batteries also.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Does your heater fan work ok? If not the hedgehog resistor will be goosed and that can drain the battery. Just to give you another potential thing to fix. :laughing:

brendy

RMS Regular
Does your heater fan work ok? If not the hedgehog resistor will be goosed and that can drain the battery. Just to give you another potential thing to fix. :laughing:
Its a lovely job :laughing:
@Lyons fwiw my x5 died on the night I was supposed to be driving to the ferry (missed the ****er because of it and had to go via cairnryan instead..6 hours!!) because Zoe had left the boot and doors opening when cleaning it out, Id say that was around an hour. Seems they keep ancilliaries powered up even with no key in the ignition.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
It's done that twice Brendy but as i say I hadn't been working on it last night at all.

Will get a new battery and hope it cures it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Car is going in tomorrow to (hopefully) get the parking sensors sorted and new glow plugs, so will get it plugged in to be sure.

jonspeed04

RMS Regular
Drives
Carlos Brennan
My x5 even brought on the dreaded gearbox failure and jammed in gear . Battery was faulty put in a new Bosch silver top one problem solved .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Don't want to speak to soon but it's all been working since the battery was changed.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.