BMW F25 X3 30D

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I picked this up at the start of the week as a replacement for Mrs Lyons. The Golf was such a hard car to replace as it did everything so well. She absolutely loved it and it felt like I was selling one of the kids when I got rid of it. Her only requirements were a jeep and something a bit special, so I quickly ignored her and started looking for a 435D. Having the Tiguan already I just didn’t think we needed 2 jeeps, but in hindsight it’s safer just to do what you’re told rather than trying to sway them in another direction.

I got the train to London from Chester on Monday to pick up an Esotril 435D Gran Coupe. The pressure was on as we’d been trying to manage on 1 car for 2 weeks, and Monday was my last trip to England with work before I moved to a site at home. I landed at the BM dealer and straight away saw the bodywork was terrible. I deliberated briefly what to do, but my A7 had been painted badly before I got it, and I hated it every day so I did the sensible thing and walked away. Complete handling as I had to then get the train back up and get myself a hotel.

The only other contender was this X3, which was only an hour away from Liverpool. I’d been speaking to the dealer on Monday before opting to go for the 435, so I knew it was 100%. I got a hire car on Tuesday morning and drove up the road and luckily all was as described when I arrived.

It’s a 2015 30D M Sport. I’ve never been a massive fan of the looks of an X3, which is part of the reason I kept ignoring them in the search. But the more I look at this the more I like it, the silver, wheels and Xenons all make it better looking. It goes very well too, it can fairly move for a diesel jeep. A million times nicer to drive than the X5 too, no tram lining.

My only requirements were Xenons and pro nav. I think they look terrible with the halogen lights. This one is pretty well spec’d;

Professional nav
Head up display
M Sport Plus (Harman Kardon, 20’s and Xenons)
Visibility pack (adaptive headlights, LED fog lights and high beam assist)
Speed limit display

The only 2 things I would’ve liked were a rear camera and electric seats. There were literally zero with electric seats though, I’ve no idea why they were so rare.

A few minor plans, nothing too major;
Rear camera retrofit (ordered)
Black grills
Touch up a few chips
Dent in rear door
Replace centre caps
Paint wheel hubs

Other than that, just drive and enjoy!

E42044A7-04A5-422E-8C4A-391C8BC6071D.jpeg
56009B5D-AA6E-42C1-B710-A6F59A892DD4.jpeg
4B1AA814-8C74-477F-B784-EC36A77A40F9.jpeg

FD277D66-F041-4C6F-ACFD-EF875E62FEAA.jpeg

62F3DD17-0633-4F17-88ED-EB16B9FCF69B.jpeg
EC08C318-B242-48C2-ABDE-68BFFE703815.jpeg

C57EF58B-5FED-4C4A-9123-5EF0BF5BB4A5.jpeg

Deleted member 13907

D
Never been a fan of the X3 but that looks great! Spec seems fantastic!

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
Looks great health to drive! The X3 really has come a long way I can’t warm to the older models at all but these look really well

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Nice spec, looks very clean too! After some time in a car with HUD and going back to one without, looking down at the speedo almost becomes an inconvenience lol! Black grills will help the front of that no end. What's comfort like in comparison to the X5?

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Brilliant spec. My wife can’t get her head around the whole spec thing and it bugs me.

We went to look at a Tiguan and it had bugger all extras and I said we should hold out for a better one.

Black grills will really help it!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Not usually a massive fan of black grills, but definitely think this will suit them.

Nice spec, looks very clean too! After some time in a car with HUD and going back to one without, looking down at the speedo almost becomes an inconvenience lol! Black grills will help the front of that no end. What's comfort like in comparison to the X5?

The HUD in this is so much better than the Audi’s, you can scroll through track titles and radio stations which although sounds trivial, is a fantastic feature.

SO much more comfortable than the X5!

Reactions: RWL

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Love these! My old man had one almost identical, sadly it met a rather unfortunate end!

They go so well for a jeep, my only criticism of the M Sport F25 is just how firm they are, especially if you’re in the back.

Looks so good in silver.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Love these! My old man had one almost identical, sadly it met a rather unfortunate end!

They go so well for a jeep, my only criticism of the M Sport F25 is just how firm they are, especially if you’re in the back.

Looks so good in silver.

It was an absolute triumph that the only suitable one was in silver, I love it.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Not normally a fan of the X3 but that does look nice. I think the black grills will make all the difference. Nice spec too!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
It was an absolute triumph that the only suitable one was in silver, I love it.

Absolutely, looks much better than the grey. Looks like a great spec, didn’t even know the F25 came with HUD!

Dad got a silver G01 from Country Garage last month, silver 30d was impossible to get locally at the time so he had to settle for a 20d, he wouldn’t take anything but silver! Lol

hre1d

RMS Regular
Drives
JCW | 500X
Fantastic looking wagon, looks great in silver! Nice spec too! HTD👍🏻

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Long been considered the ugly duckling of the bmw range but this one looks quite neat, enjoy

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
That's quality, health to enjoy?
Wat are they like room wise inside? We have a 2014 Xc60 and I quite like these but the misses thinks there smaller.
Haven't good a proper look at one yet

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
That's quality, health to enjoy?
Wat are they like room wise inside? We have a 2014 Xc60 and I quite like these but the misses thinks there smaller.
Haven't good a proper look at one yet

I had a quick look at an XC60 before getting the Golf, and from what I can remember the X3 would be bigger.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Way nicer than I was expecting before seeing the pics! Looks great in silver. Htd

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
These normally wouldn't be my thing at all, but I must say that looks really nice and fresh in silver. Lovely spec too!

J55NI

RMS Regular
Looks really well. My only question is can the steering wheel be changed to the newer shape? If so is it costly?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I flirted with the idea of doing that, but given that the current 1 is literally unmarked I decided against it. Now you have me researching it again 😂.

the F30 style wheel did come in the F25 from late 2016, so I assume a retrofit is possible. I don’t know if there are any differences between the wheel in the F30 and F25. I would imagine not, but would like to know for sure first!

The only thing about the later wheel is any I’ve seen even on low mileage cars, the leather wears terribly.

J55NI

RMS Regular
I flirted with the idea of doing that, but given that the current 1 is literally unmarked I decided against it. Now you have me researching it again 😂.

the F30 style wheel did come in the F25 from late 2016, so I assume a retrofit is possible. I don’t know if there are any differences between the wheel in the F30 and F25. I would imagine not, but would like to know for sure first!

The only thing about the later wheel is any I’ve seen even on low mileage cars, the leather wears terribly.
I'm probably being a total arse just love the newer wheel. My F30 is late 2012 and it even has it. If its a cheap upgrade and the right one becomes available sure.