BMW F25 X3 30D

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Those grills really freshen up the front end. How did you get them out? I looked on YouTube when changing mine, some said the bumper needed to come off but a few said some gentle persuasion would do it... went for the latter & thankfully they came out easy enough

Found a guide on YouTube that got me started, but it didn’t tell me about the clips on the side so took a bit of trial and error.

That looks really smart, did you order your wheel badges from Cotswolds too? i need a new set for the summer wheels.

Yup. They were a bit dearer than Prentice on eBay, but then they matched them.

I see I also need a bonnet badge as it’s corroding too.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
When was the facelift done on this model? I see Country Garage have one but suspect it’s the older shape (Feb 2014)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
At some stage in 2014.

What happened to the F36 idea?

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
We looked at one and decided it would be too cramped inside. Also the one we looked at was a poor example and kinda put me off them in general.
90% sure we’ll end up with a Q5! 😂

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Finally took a break from the garden work and fitted the rear camera. One of those wee jobs I’d been dreading, but found a great guide on YouTube that made it a lot less daunting. Despite the build quality being better in this than any VW or Audi I’ve had, the trim actually came apart so much more easily too. All in all it made for quite a pleasant experience!

Although not OEM parts, the kit could still integrate with the NBT drive so the car is now coded for a rear camera and it displays on the screen exactly as the factory one does- guide lines and all. Fantastic bit of kit for £190, considering there are alternatives for over twice that which look a bit jip on the screen.

As I don’t have the software the seller agree to code it remotely from Lithuania, so that was completed this afternoon.

Good to have a camera again. I wasn’t a massive fan of a camera in the Golf, but it’s only when you don’t have it you realise how useful it was.

09FC8023-1071-4EFA-935D-658B33F9EF26.jpeg
D379CCD0-0602-4FDB-8B24-14D21FE02772.jpeg

45DBFCEF-2FE0-40D8-B264-5F93AAA5D636.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
They took control of my computer then must’ve paired it to another computer with the software on it. Never seen it done like that before, I assumed I’d have to have the software on my desktop.

J55NI

RMS Regular
They took control of my computer then must’ve paired it to another computer with the software on it. Never seen it done like that before, I assumed I’d have to have the software on my desktop.

Team viewer software maybe? I would be slightly worried about them gaining access to your information on it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Any desk. The computer will be getting wiped soon anyway! It’s not used for any banking etc either.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
A minor update, but an update nonetheless!

The BMW badge on the bonnet had corroded badly round the outside so I ordered 1 at the same time as getting the wheel badges. After watching a guide online a few weeks ago I thought it shouldn’t be too bad. The video said to use an old credit card and go round prying it up on all sides. 2 seconds after I started and realised it would take me until next weekend to budge it, I remembered I’d bought trim removal tools recently so gave them a whirl. Literally popped straight off, AND the wee rubber holders remained intact. Car things never go smoothly for me so I was delighted!

39C8B4D9-6C54-4E5F-98AC-CB418CDCA870.jpeg
3481A1E0-0A90-4B94-B6FF-901DA471539D.jpeg

538E3F6C-351A-4158-BEDF-72F5F9673F98.jpeg

97F299A0-791E-40EF-B61A-ABE063A4E56E.jpeg
B2C9A45A-E6D6-4D09-A185-2098838A5305.jpeg

Sadly the transfer box is away in this too, so it needs a new clutch pack the same as the X5. It’s still under warranty so hopefully Colm can charm RAC into approving it. Will get it done next month when in for a service.

Still very much enjoying it and nice to jump into it after driving the Tiguan.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Another wheel update this weekend, this time of the steering variety. You know you’re starting to rub off on your wife when she asks “are you changing the steering wheel in this?” I wasn’t going to bother to be honest, yes the original is a bit Transit like, but it was literally like new. After getting the wheels for my car, I needed another project to procrastinate over so diverted my attention to steering wheels. I picked this up last week on eBay, it came from an X5 with 14k miles so is absolutely perfect. Swapped it over this evening, 15mins. BMW’s are so much easier to work on than Audis!

Delighted with the result, freshens up the interior nicely.

C21D9849-1163-481E-93CA-4FA506C25033.jpeg

76D47346-4CF6-4883-8597-CBFE1F0B89DB.jpeg

5D064C94-2BBC-4275-B578-A26BA3ADA267.jpeg

Since my last post I also managed to get the transfer case changed under warranty. That was a pleasant surprise to save £750 odd!

I also took it to Agnews to have a few wee spots of corrosion checked under the rear number plate. They sent the report to BMW and I’m just waiting for the green light from them then I can get it booked in to get the boot painted.

e320mark

RMS Regular
I have a detachable towbar for an f25 minus electrics if your interested, came from David Murphy towing brackets.

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
The newer wheel really freshens the interior. It was on my to do list if i kept the M135i.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Another wheel update this weekend, this time of the steering variety.
Were you really pleased with yourself when you came up with that joke?

new wheel looks great, makes the previous generation of steering wheels look ancient!

Last edited:

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Annoys me bmw dont do flat bottom steering wheel standard like in black edition audis

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Flat bottomed wheels don't really belong in BMW imo.

Not really relevant to the 4x4 BMWs, but it would defo make it harder for me straighten my car up if part of the wheel suddenly changed shape as it spun round through my hands.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Flat bottomed wheels don't really belong in BMW imo.

Not really relevant to the 4x4 BMWs, but it would defo make it harder for me straighten my car up if part of the wheel suddenly changed shape as it spun round through my hands.
I loved it in my a4. Really miss it :worried:

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Nice looking thing! Much prefer the original grills however.