BMW have had car 5 weeks for EGR recall with no progress

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Posting this on behalf of a work colleague.

He drives a 2014 640d, he noticed the car keeps losing coolant and rang BMW to see what the issue was, they have informed him that there is a recall on the cooling system and they took the car in.

They have had the car since the 6th January and he has been told that they cannot get the part required and it is on back order but have no estimate when they can get the required bits.

He has been provided a Hyundai Ioniq courtesy car but he now is getting annoyed and wants his car back, is it just a case of playing the waiting game?

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
What else can he really do if the part isn't readily available, which in itself is ridiculous!

I'd be insisting on a better car though, one at least equivalent to his own.

Reactions: wes

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Country is full of these, every dealer has dozens of cars in for the same 30d recal and they just can't get the parts.

Friend of mine has been without his for 8 weeks now!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z

He drives a 2014 640d, he noticed the car keeps losing coolant and rang BMW to see what the issue was, they have informed him that there is a recall on the cooling system and they took the car in.

They have had the car since the 6th January and he has been told that they cannot get the part required and it is on back order but have no estimate when they can get the required bits.

He has been provided a Hyundai Ioniq courtesy car but he now is getting annoyed and wants his car back, is it just a case of playing the waiting game?

Waiting game unfortunately I’d say.

Not the dealers fault if the part is out of stock. If they are providing an adequate replacement car and are keeping him informed it’s just an unfortunate situation.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Don’t think there’s much else he can do. We once had a car at our depot for 4 months because the backing plates were on back order. At least he’s been given a courtesy car

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
EGR recall? If so, good luck to him. There are loads of boys on Fx Owners Group and Bimmerpost who've been with out a car for months now. In some cases 3 plus months. Bmw are getting the cars in due to the fire risk but can supply the replacement EGR valves quick enough.

If he has a BMW warranty he should have a BMW Group courtesy car not a **** box Hyundai.

Enterprise rent a car are out of stock of BMW across the UK due to this recall.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
The f30’s have a recall on the egr system at the minute. I wanted to get the car serviced and then bring it back to get the egr done as the parts weren’t going to be available until March. The service guy told me that if they brought it in for service they would be obliged to check the egr at that stage and if they deemed it needing replaced the car would have to be held until the part became available which they couldn’t guarantee

zafturbo

RMS Regular
With getting the Hyundai I really don’t think he has a bad car as a loaner .At least he will be saving a fortune on his fuel bill.would it not be as good as the bmw anyway .:monkey:
Jealous Audi driver comment that was .

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Daughters 220d is booked in for April for the egr, I have to book mine in for the heater recall this will be fun

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

6 weeks here. Left wife's 330d in as we were getting the coolant errors (despite the level being fine). They won't release the car as it's a safety issue and can cause a fire, apparently. I've rung a few times and got a bit irate other day but no-one seems to know what is going on and can't even provide an ETA for the part.

We have been provided with a courtesy car (from Enterprise) but tbh it's an 1.6 auto Focus which is incredibly sore on petrol, has a slow puncture and isn't the 330d we bought and which my wife had been expecting to drive. I wouldn't mind if the car had been in a couple of weeks, but I can see it going to 2 months (if not more) and that's taking the piss. The job itself can be done in a few hours.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Friends 330d is in at minute for same thing, no parts available, been there 6 weeks with no Eta in sight.
Enterprise guy when leaving out a different rental car last week said they had brought in an extra 150 cars just for this issue.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Are all dealers courtesy cars now just hired off companies? Noticed Thrifty had a lot of BMW’s last time I was up and thought it strange for a rental firm to have so many.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Has anybody contacted BMW UK to complain about the lack of "like for like" courtesy car? or regarding the delay in parts for a recall??

pinto200

RMS Regular
D2155FA9-F471-4F9C-9FA2-2DE05FB74995.png
Thankfully ours is too young to be affected.