BMW have had car 5 weeks for EGR recall with no progress

Deleted member 13907

D
One of our directors in work has a 3 year old 520d, which has been having issues with losing coolant, etc.
Her cars always come from JKC and I have to say from what I've seen their customer service seems to be first class.
Her car has been in and out a couple of times over the past few weeks - one was for the coolant loss recall, then another fault developed after that and I think it was also in for a regular service around the same time.
Each time, JKC send a driver down to us in Ballynahinch, in a courtesy car (one was a 3 series in a lovely orangey-red colour, another was a well-specced X3) picks her car up, then returns a few days later with her car.
In this case, it's possible they're going the extra mile as her car is due to be changed, however she's been in an X3 quite a few times over the past few years, which they have provided as a courtesy car.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
2to6uu.jpg

I too got the letter, holding fire... ahem until they get their hands on the 16,000 EGR valves and coolers that are on back order with BMW.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Could be worse fella

Recap: Car fire causes long delays on M6 near Coventry

Ours was checked for the 3rd time yesterday against what seems to be an evolving batch of parts and got the final clean bill thankfully although ours was replaced last year when the car lost ALL of its coolant through the EGR on a Dublin run. That was a one day turnaround but I think it was before this shat show started

J

PhilM

RMS Regular
seen one in flames this morning outside Holywood

video on my instagram if anyone is interested - was listening to Classic FM at the time so enjoy :grinning:

pmont_official

Phil

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
I wouldn’t like to be the m.d. of the company that manufactures the egr valves......

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow for the brother in law with his 335d

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Oh FFS , this is wild. Any idea if the issue was recitified on younger models?. I.e 2017-omwards? IllI be shopping wisely , I don't want an i30 for 6 mojths FFS that's automotive suicide.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Oh FFS , this is wild. Any idea if the issue was recitified on younger models?. I.e 2017-omwards? IllI be shopping wisely , I don't want an i30 for 6 mojths FFS that's automotive suicide.

Only up to 2016:

Autocar said:
The recall affects several BMW models, including examples of the 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, X3, X4, X5 and X6, with both four and six-cylinder diesel engines affected depending on the model. Four cylinder cars built between December 2014 and August 2016 are affected, while six-cylinder cars produced between July 2012 and June 2015 are also part of the recall. Certain 1 Series, 2 Series, 7 Series and X1s, built as early as 2010, will also be checked.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Ours is July 14 and was found to have an affected EGR...............I believe that this was fed back to BMW when discovered but those cars might be the curveballs

J

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Silly question but I take it the coolant loss as a result of the defective egr will trigger the coolant warning light. I have cold sweats thinking the missus is driving along thinking that's a lovely wee light while the engine tries to melt itself together.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
The dealers defo have some of the EGR valves, I had our 320 done a few weeks back when it was in for a service.
It’s a major clusterf**k that’s for certain and it’s costing bmw an absolute fortune.

All boils down as well to the fact that cars are disposable items with a life cycle now. Owning something outside of a factory warranty is becoming a disaster waiting to happen

richie_mck

RMS Regular
The dealers defo have some of the EGR valves, I had our 320 done a few weeks back when it was in for a service.
It’s a major clusterf**k that’s for certain and it’s costing bmw an absolute fortune.

All boils down as well to the fact that cars are disposable items with a life cycle now. Owning something outside of a factory warranty is becoming a disaster waiting to happen

Too true. I had to put a egr cooler in to my wifes 1.6tdi golf before we sold it and it was the length of £600, a couple of years older and it wouldn't have been worth it.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Funny drove past a Beemer on fire outside holywood during week fire service in attendance... they were too late tbh the entire front end was destroyed and smouldering away.

Nasty!!! I thought it was just modern Vauxhall’s that liked spontaneous combustion

Mate had rs focus needing steering rack on back order too... complained to ford U.K. enuff that in the end it was free parts and labour (he wasn’t under warranty)

Be worth a regular email or call to bmw uk to register the disgust at he inconvenience and disappointment in the brand??

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I’m sure many have M00k but it won’t change anything, that part is no doubt made by a 3rd party supplier and it was their screw up so there isn’t much bmw can do about it other than get the new ones as quick as possible and get them in. Be some insurance claim !

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Surprised there hasn't been people popping up offering EGR deletes on F30's etc to bypass the problem

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
Has anybody heard if there has been any problems with other cars with the same engine. I have a 2015 MINI SD and I am fairly sure it has the B47 engine. So I am just starting to wonder will it be involved.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
Yep the mini is effected too. My wife’s got a new egr in September or October.

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
Has anybody heard if there has been any problems with other cars with the same engine. I have a 2015 MINI SD and I am fairly sure it has the B47 engine. So I am just starting to wonder will it be involved.

MINI’s are not affected by the cooler recall.

The issue is parts shortage for the 6 cylinder diesel BMW. The cooler required for the 4 cylinder is available.