BMW have had car 5 weeks for EGR recall with no progress

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Going on a 530d against a Tuscon se, it’s about £250 a month roughly, so I’d say big numbers, actually twice the rental price. I’d be pissed off if my big monthly payment got me something half the value for an interminable length of time.
We were out looking to replace the mrs car yesterday - everything was diesel! Minis, Beetles, Pro-Ceed, no use for her at 8k max per year. This is looking like a problem that could only get worse, especially in diesel mad NI.

NMN

RMS Regular
Drives
Bmw
booked my car in this morning for the recall and earliest they can take it is 13th September lol

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
A work colleagues 5 series was in for 3 months with nothing happening. Bavarian apparently told him they didn't have enough staff to actually do the work required, so they bought his car off him and got him into a new 1 series instead.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Thrifty car rental on Boucher road there is absolutely jam packed full of BMWs. Presumably for renting back to BMW lol

Reactions: dub

NMN

RMS Regular
Drives
Bmw
said management are working on it and hopefully will get pulled forward

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Country garage took my car within 2 weeks for the inspection and thankfully it wasn’t affected by the dodgy batch

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
So , if the car is not leaking and no lights on dash , ignore recall notice .
Tell me I'm right .

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Is there any recourse in the way of compensation? Being stuck for 2+ months with a car that isn't what you bought and doesn't suit your needs isn't great. Be interested to see the condition of ours on return after lying about some yard for months.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Is bmw even liable to have to supply you with a car at all or is it just courtesy to do so.i think looking compo for not have the same car is a bit much is it not.not like it’s been done on purpose .

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Is bmw even liable to have to supply you with a car at all or is it just courtesy to do so.i think looking compo for not have the same car is a bit much is it not.not like it’s been done on purpose .

I don’t see it as too much, depending on how the whole situation is handled and what vehicle they’re putting you in for an extended period. At the very least, you should be given a like for like courtesy car. It may not be their fault per se, but why should the customer, the one who paid a very large sum of money for what should be one of the most reliable cars on the road, be inconvenienced or be left in limbo regarding what’s going on with their car...?

At least Nissan done the right thing and bought all of their problematic parcels of dung back, and Toyota are still issuing recalls for 30+ year old vehicles which shows what customer satisfaction should be and having pride in what they produce.

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Were bmw contacting owners who are affected or leaving it to individuals themselves

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Were bmw contacting owners who are affected or leaving it to individuals themselves

Recall letter was sent out to affected owners.

Ignore it for a year anyway. Lol.

Unfortunately the risk is a real one, in South Korea alone they've banned certain BMW models from the roads due to 40 odd EGR-related fires. Even if the fire scenario doesn't occur, there can be severe damage to the intake manifolds. In both scenarios it may be tricky trying to get BMW to take responsibility for it if you've repeatedly ignored their recall for a year. The issue has been well publicised so pleading ignorance won't help either I'd imagine.

Is there any recourse in the way of compensation? Being stuck for 2+ months with a car that isn't what you bought and doesn't suit your needs isn't great. Be interested to see the condition of ours on return after lying about some yard for months.

Nope, they are satisfying all legal requirements. If your car went on fire before it was repaired you would have a strong case for compensation, but during and post EGR replacement? They are carrying out the recall and repair FOC, and supplying you with a replacement vehicle to use. What would any compensation claim be based on?

Of course, if you're a longtime BMW customer you could argue some goodwill with your dealer by threatening to shop elsewhere in future, but in terms of trying to get specific compensation from BMW over the recall issue - longterm customer or not - I don't think there's any chance realistically.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I don’t see it as too much, depending on how the whole situation is handled and what vehicle they’re putting you in for an extended period. At the very least, you should be given a like for like courtesy car. It may not be their fault per se, but why should the customer, the one who paid a very large sum of money for what should be one of the most reliable cars on the road, be inconvenienced or be left in limbo regarding what’s going on with their car...?

At least Nissan done the right thing and bought all of their problematic parcels of dung back, and Toyota are still issuing recalls for 30+ year old vehicles which shows what customer satisfaction should be and having pride in what they produce.

Toyota won’t issuing recalls for customer satisfaction on that age of product, it will be because they legally have to

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
The manufacturer has supplied a defective product, therefore its only right and proper that they, through their dealer network, rectify the problem as soon as possible with as little inconvenience to the customer, which should at the very least include a replacement vehicle whilst their own is of the road. Sale of goods act and other legislation protects the rights of the consumer.
Definitely not too much to expect a similar car than you have paid for. Whether it was on purpose or not is irrelevant.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Ultimately this won’t be BMW’s problem surely? The defective product will have been supplied by a 3rd party so whilst for example I bought a car from BMW with a defective part and BMW themselves ha e incurred the cost to replace said part will they then be able to pursue the 3rd party for compensation I wonder ?

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Modern cars are a joke !
Did the powers that be really think there would still be derv's come 2035 ?
It's a pity though , as the 3.0 l bmw derv with zf's 8spd auto is a lovely combination .

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Ultimately this won’t be BMW’s problem surely? The defective product will have been supplied by a 3rd party so whilst for example I bought a car from BMW with a defective part and BMW themselves ha e incurred the cost to replace said part will they then be able to pursue the 3rd party for compensation I wonder ?

I’d imagine it’s lights out for that company. Full weight of BMW’s legal department chasing a resolution to this, would cripple any firm.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA

Depends on the reason for failure but also some companies simply fold if something like this happens when they have paid what they can - you can’t get something from a company that doesn’t exist anymore that had limited liability