BMW have had car 5 weeks for EGR recall with no progress

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Can't see it, but time will tell. E46's tearing their subframes out didn't stop anyone buying 3 series and VW are still doing rightly despite dieselgate.

I don’t think it’s so much the issue but the timescales for repair.

Dieselgate has hit VW group quite hard in industry terms

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
daughters 220d in this morning new cooler fitted, picked up again 2.30 this afternoon

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
It will be affected, there will be people walking away from the brand due to this
It really won’t, been in Bavarian a bit this last while and it’s always completely packed and mostly new car sales. Prentice is the same.
To be fair they’ve prioritised current customers massively over older cars which I guess is to be expected and also fair

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
It really won’t, been in Bavarian a bit this last while and it’s always completely packed and mostly new car sales. Prentice is the same.
To be fair they’ve prioritised current customers massively over older cars which I guess is to be expected and also fair

Issues like this do hurt brands - there is simply no denying that! I work in quality for JLR, I have access to a lot of detailed independent market research that shows the negative impact issues like this have

In terms of VW dieselgate although published profits didn’t drop, revenue did by 30% showing that they will have cut back on investment to keep profit healthy

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
You know better than most what a disaster some JLR products suffer such as oil dilution but everyone still wants one !
Perhaps buying outside of warranty or whatever then yes it would certainly make people reconsider but we will still see many BMW’s and JLR products on the roads for years to come

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Issues like this do hurt brands - there is simply no denying that! I work in quality for JLR, I have access to a lot of detailed independent market research that shows the negative impact issues like this have

In terms of VW dieselgate although published profits didn’t drop, revenue did by 30% showing that they will have cut back on investment to keep profit healthy

Care to share your source for that 30% revenue drop out of interest?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Care to share your source for that 30% revenue drop out of interest?

I was working from memory - it’s actually just under 25% drop between 15/16 and 16/17 FY for VW passenger cars

Source : Volkswagen Group - revenue by brand 2018 | Statistic

2DD96999-A80A-48DE-B4E3-09C1205AC23F.png

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
You know better than most what a disaster some JLR products suffer such as oil dilution but everyone still wants one !
Perhaps buying outside of warranty or whatever then yes it would certainly make people reconsider but we will still see many BMW’s and JLR products on the roads for years to come

Unfortunately I also see the direct impact of quality issues on sales and it hurts

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Slightly OT but it must surely be almost impossible to decipher the ‘true’ cause for a decline in sales? There are unlimited factors which could contribute to that are there not?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Slightly OT but it must surely be almost impossible to decipher the ‘true’ cause for a decline in sales? There are unlimited factors which could contribute to that are there not?

There are a lot of factors but you can normally pin point key change points and analyse what was different

However it’s clear to the entire industry that poor quality leads to less sales mainly due to decreasing customer retention. Attracting new customers can take the sting out but this is more expensive than retention and also there is a limited pool of new customers

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6

I’m sure if you looked at competitor sales in the same markets any major deviation from the norm is probably a good indication of something gone wrong.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
old thread revival
eventually gave in and left my 520d touring in for the egr cooler recall (2 letters and maybe 5-6mths later)
they called me later in the day to say they needed to keep the car until some stage next week

got told on the phone i was getting a 2019 5 series touring - thought, yea! result!
browsed their website (and had walked their forecourt that morning) thinking what they could give me. the only 5 series tourings i had seen down there or on site were lovely.
got down that evening, to walk out to a silver 520i se touring :worried: looks like an american station wagon!

on the upside, its beautiful inside, drives lovely, and only has 1600 miles on the clock :laughing:

NMN

RMS Regular
Drives
Bmw
Great. Mine down today. And they just called needs replaced and have none in stock. At least a week before I get my car back. Wonder what clinker of a courtesy car they will give me.