BMW i3 60ah REx

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
I have been thinking of changing for a long time but couldn't be arsed with the hassle and to be honest I loved my E90 330i but I fancied something different. I got this just over a week ago from Stratstone BMW in Leeds, normally I would take myself across to collect but with COVID restrictions the flight times were crap so I used David Corr to transport it home for me. Firstly, Stephen from Statstone was fantastic and secondly Kenny who taken the car home was brilliant as well - it was delivered to my office.

It's a 2015 Suite interior with the range extender. I was quite specific on the spec I wanted: the 10" screen, solar orange or white & black with the 428 wheels, rapid charger preparation, self parking, heated seats and tinted rear windows. This one has all that plus being the suite interior it has leather and a fancy bit of wood, it also has a sunroof.

The car was almost perfect, the only blemish is a chip on the passenger side of the windscreen but BMW repaired it - everything else was like a new car, wheels were refurbished as well, a real credit to it's previous owner.

There aren't many accessories to buy for the i3, AC Schnitzer so a few pieces for it but they are very expensive. I'll probably buy 10mm spacers and some rear mudflaps but other than that leave it as it is. It's great fun to drive and quite rapid from 0 to 40!
i3 (2).jpg

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's a class colour, haven't seen that before. Works well with the black bits and tinted windows!

What range do you get to a full charge on one of these with the range extender?

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
Thanks. On a good day both the electric and the petrol will do 60/70 each so about 120/140 in total. I'm still learning how to drive it to be honest as BMW rate your drive after journey on the app.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I really like these and that colour is something else. Enjoy!

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Lovely colour and works great with the gloss black.

Seen plenty of white and blue about, but never any Solar Orange.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Very nice. Mate of mine has had a few of these and they're great.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I really wanted to love the i3, they look so good and the tech is great, but I just didn't gel with the i3S I had out a few months ago. Gear selector location alone was enough to put me off.

I've never seen one that colour before, looks fantastic, although I would have to do the wheels silver or anthracite.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
The wife isn't too bothered about the colour but I think it suits it. Agree about the wheels - the silver looks better as you can actually see the design but as BMW refurbished them I'll keep them as they are for a while. The selector takes getting some used to alright.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
thats actually really cool looking!

is this model a hybrid?

I've had a few runs in @Reno_LV i3 and it's laughably quick off the line, but his is all electric?

They're all electric drive, the motor in the range extender model charges the battery only. I believe it's a BMW motorbike engine.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
thats actually really cool looking!

is this model a hybrid?

I've had a few runs in @Reno_LV i3 and it's laughably quick off the line, but his is all electric?
Thank you! Yes, mine has the small bike engine but as @Coog says - the motor doesn't power the wheels, just keeps the battery going. A massive 0.60l :joy:

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Exactly same as mine 60Ah Rex, hope you enjoy it better than I did lol.

In fairness a lovely driving car, range is just too low for me, ended up always using the fuel.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
To be honest the 94ah would have been more ideal - I had a agreed to buy a rex one but the sale fell through but so far so good with the 60.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
To be honest the 94ah would have been more ideal - I had a agreed to buy a rex one but the sale fell through but so far so good with the 60.

I really did like the drive, if my commute was <30/40 miles a day I would still have it. It's 65 miles a day so was just stretching it. Mine was white though and had crap wheels this one looks much better, I love the orange.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
Well, I've had the i3 for just over 4 months now. In March I drove 440 miles at at cost of £23, not bad considering that would have cost me about £150 in my 330i.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
Since my last post the car ended up at Bavarian on 18th April. The car threw up a load of warnings then died. The recovery guy brought it to Bavarian and they had it for 3 days, in the end they said it was a software issue but I knew it was probably the 12v battery. I had asked them replace the suspension dust covers as they had perished, which they did.

Fast forward to yesterday - 18th May and the car died again, similar thing to last time. Just got a call to say it was infact the 12v battery so they are going to replace it. None in stock so will have to wait until tomorrow to pick the i3 up.

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
are you on the i3 uk FB group Ciaran?
12V is a critical part on these - nearly every issue (bar punctures lol) is down to the 12v aux battery.
I'm for firing mine on the CTEK sometime to give it a good working over.
I lifted a pair of suspension gaitors myself there yesterday, only £21 at bavarian for the pair. Mine are decimated, but im for putting springs in anyhow so doing them at the same time made sense

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
are you on the i3 uk FB group Ciaran?
12V is a critical part on these - nearly every issue (bar punctures lol) is down to the 12v aux battery.
I'm for firing mine on the CTEK sometime to give it a good working over.
I lifted a pair of suspension gaitors myself there yesterday, only £21 at bavarian for the pair. Mine are decimated, but im for putting springs in anyhow so doing them at the same time made sense
I am indeed. I tried to push it last time with Bavarian but they weren't for changing it, their loss as they are paying for yet another hire car!

I thought I may as well get them done while it was in. Between them, the rear camera, a sensor and now this, the warranty has probably work out well for me.