BMW i3 owners?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Hi guys,

I still have a desire to own one of these and I was wondering if there are any owners on here that could advise me on anything. I drove one a year ago and really liked it but I have a fear of buying one and finding the reality of one is different.

I like the modern design, the size the REX engine and really everything but havening always owned fast cars and loving the noise of an engine and the engagement of driving will I hate one?!?!?

Maybe this is just another mad car lovers notion but I am tired of pumping petrol to do short school runs and 3 days a week of 50 mile motorway commutes...…………………...feel like I'm either wasting petrol sitting at 70mph or wishing the car would warm up doing a 1 mile run!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I didn’t own an i3 mike but I did own a Renault Zoe for 2 years and for a city car they are hard to beat. We would have taken another one but the repayments had doubled and it meant it wouldn’t have been as financially viable the second time around. I loved the way it handled, the toys in it and we never got bored of the instant torque, it punched above its weight for what the figures suggested. If there’s a decent charging network around you and you can get the distances you need comfortably within the range I would say go for it. Provided as a petrol head you have something else you can jump into and go for a proper skelp down a B road, but going by what you own I cant see that being a problem lol.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Some spec on the new i3 and a range of around 160-170 miles, that’s about twice what our old Zoe would have done, it also has more than twice the power so would be a good going wee thing

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Cheers
I'd be buying a couple of year old one with a REX, I think the electric range is about 70miles and the REX will allow another 70miles

My wife has a Q5 and my Elise is there as a fun petrol fix 😂

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Range is 100 available. Did a whole report on it on my site. @Shmern can answer all questions on it

Macmansurf

RMS Regular
Drives
68 volvo Amazon
Hi, I have just changed to the i3 a couple of months ago. Previously had the Vauxhall Ampera for 3 years and loved it, never gave a spot of trouble but wanted to move up the years and have a better range. Love the i3, it’s the 94a Rex loft version, coupe of years old and the drive is fantastic. Not everyone’s cup of tea and for sure the ampera was more stable on the road, since the i3 is carbon fibre and weighs very little . It suits my mix of journeys and already had a home charger. You never get tired of that instant torque and just renewed insurance at 263 fully comp.

Shmern

RMS Regular
Drives
VX220 NA
Hi guys,

I still have a desire to own one of these and I was wondering if there are any owners on here that could advise me on anything. I drove one a year ago and really liked it but I have a fear of buying one and finding the reality of one is different.

I like the modern design, the size the REX engine and really everything but havening always owned fast cars and loving the noise of an engine and the engagement of driving will I hate one?!?!?

Maybe this is just another mad car lovers notion but I am tired of pumping petrol to do short school runs and 3 days a week of 50 mile motorway commutes...…………………...feel like I'm either wasting petrol sitting at 70mph or wishing the car would warm up doing a 1 mile run!

Mike I have a 2017 i3 94aH and love it, due to change end of April (It's the car in Reinis Blog post above)

Happy to answer any questions or let you have a run at any time.

In terms of your questions

1. Three versions so far (two of which have REX options) 60Ah, 94Ah and 120Ah, only the 60 and the 94 have REX option
2. Range varies across the versions but approx, 60Ah - 70Miles, 94Ah - 120 Miles and 120Ah - 160Miles with REX adding 70miles on top
3. Performance as you say is great!, traffic light get aways requires a serious fast car to beat it to 40mph, the Torque on the move is addictive.
4. Sound, yes common with all Electric cars you do miss a nice exhaust note, but for daily drives I don't miss it any more.

I recommend approaching BMW, they will lend you one over night or a weekend potentially (They did when I was looking)

I love my i3 and will be sad to see it go in April, but moving on to a new Electric car now

Shmern

RMS Regular
Drives
VX220 NA
Range EXtender, small 2 stroke motor that doesnt drive the wheels, just acts as a generator to provide electric to top up battery on the way. can be good for piece of mind for those that need larger distances, bit of a penalty to lug the REX around if you dont use it regularly, so REX are slightly less efficient. But provide the additional range and top up capabilities which can maintain the Battery at a level to support up to 70mph, although the fuel tank is only 9 litres.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Mike I have a 2017 i3 94aH and love it, due to change end of April (It's the car in Reinis Blog post above)

Happy to answer any questions or let you have a run at any time.

In terms of your questions

1. Three versions so far (two of which have REX options) 60Ah, 94Ah and 120Ah, only the 60 and the 94 have REX option
2. Range varies across the versions but approx, 60Ah - 70Miles, 94Ah - 120 Miles and 120Ah - 160Miles with REX adding 70miles on top
3. Performance as you say is great!, traffic light get aways requires a serious fast car to beat it to 40mph, the Torque on the move is addictive.
4. Sound, yes common with all Electric cars you do miss a nice exhaust note, but for daily drives I don't miss it any more.

I recommend approaching BMW, they will lend you one over night or a weekend potentially (They did when I was looking)

I love my i3 and will be sad to see it go in April, but moving on to a new Electric car now
Thanks for the info

I kinda figured it's a 94ah rex I'm after...... If I do take the step and its a big step for me! My current daily is an Audi S3 with 350hp and its great except for the £40 a week in fuel to do mundane journeys.

I may well try bmw to see if I could get an extended test drive on one.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Went and drove a £6000 Fiesta zetec s with 125bhp as I figure it would cost me roughly the same per week as a £17,000 i3 all costs considered.

It was gutless, didn't expect fast but its definitely not that. The thing I remember about the drive in the i3 was that at low speeds its quick and medium its OK. Fiesta was pretty basic too, no automatic lights and no parking sensors....... Simple things I like!

I went up to J&F to see their i3 last week but its sold.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
@mike150
This maybe of interest

I've done all the studying but the issue is there are very few for sale in N. Ireland I think due to the reluctance of drivers here to want EV's. Nissan Leafs are by far the most common and I even went as far as going to Nissan to look at one but that's as far as I got......... that exterior design 🤮

I'm currently considering a new i3s, the depreciation might be nasty!

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I’d be curious to know what the maintenance schedule is like with the REX and just in general. I often look at the AC Schnitzer i3 and if I had the money I’d love one of those. They look serious fun.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Hi @mike150 Did you go for an i3 in the end?
I very very nearly bought a brand new i3s in January but took cold feet over the depreciation that I'd calculated. Maybe a bad decision to back out as it was a very good price, it sold a week later.

I do love the way EV cars drive but I've yet to commit to ownership. I currently like the new 208, I'm reluctant though as I really don't want the hit of a new car.

I'm currently driving a 2016 Golf GTI DSG and I love it.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
I went for a 2016 60Ah Range Extender Model.

I do 70 miles Roundtrip to work and that’s all I was using my 640D for so made sense when I factored in fuel savings.

it will realistically do my 70 miles roundtrip without me having to use the Range Extender. I charge it at work or near work so it’s cost me nothing to run. Once the public chargers start being paid for then I’ll maybe look at charging at home more. But for now it’s saving me a fortune.

I like the range extender because I was on a weeks holiday and forgot to charge it. Woke up to goto work on the Monday and had 3 miles of range (whoops!) so did the whole journey to Belfast using the wee generator. It’s a lifesaver for times like that or longer journeys. Some of the 120Ah more expensive new modes will have a far bigger range, but for me I just need it to do 70 so suited perfectly.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
@Modmedia Do you use a "normal" plug socket at home to charge - if so, how long does it take? What would you get out of a full charge in the winter? Cheers