BMW i3 owners?

davyk31

RMS Regular
Have an I3s for a 24 hour test drive to compare against the ID3 that I had last weekend. The BMW has some flaws in terms of practicality but I really like how it goes and looks. As it’s an S model it looks great on the 20” wheels with the black arch extensions.
Range maybe not wonderful. Was showing 135 miles fully charged when I picked it up.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
I've had my i3 for 6 weeks now and done 1200 miles in it, it's been brilliant so far.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I’m still seriously tempted by an I3S after an overnight test before Christmas. They do have their flaws in terms of road noise and practicality but I think they look great and are a lot of fun to drive. I also had an ID3 out and it’s the opposite, lots of practicality, nice and quiet but nothing exciting to look at or drive.

Nicolat

RMS Member
Drives
BMWI3
Hi, hope this is the right place to post this. I have an i3 and was picked up Christmas Eve eve. Due to covid restrictions they basically gave me the keys and some flowers 😂 I have worked out most things through trial and error - but had no idea about boot opening - Is it one of those automatic opening things or am I being deluded!

davyk31

RMS Regular
No it’s not an auto boot. I’m sure an owner will come along but from memory of my test drive there is a small button on the boot hatch to press to open.

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
On the rear boot panel, at bottom, there's a latch built into the glass- can use this to open or a button inside the cabin as illustrated in video.

Front boot/bonnet, again button inside cabin or the keyfob button (think its button with outline of car with open bonnet on it)

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
Hi, hope this is the right place to post this. I have an i3 and was picked up Christmas Eve eve. Due to covid restrictions they basically gave me the keys and some flowers 😂 I have worked out most things through trial and error - but had no idea about boot opening - Is it one of those automatic opening things or am I being deluded!
If yours is the same as mine you have to press the remote twice to get the boot unlock then as Bono says, there is a traditional opening just above the rear bumper.

I don't have a bonnet or boot opening button in the footwell - just a button for the petrol cap.

Nicolat

RMS Member
Drives
BMWI3
If yours is the same as mine you have to press the remote twice to get the boot unlock then as Bono says, there is a traditional opening just above the rear bumper.

I don't have a bonnet or boot opening button in the footwell - just a button for the petrol cap.
Mines a nov 2020 model and sounds the same as yours - someone told me that there was a sensor that opened the boot and I was losing the will to live. I don’t have a petrol cap that’s where I plug it in. Bavarian sent some videos but I think I’ve learnt more through trial
And error. Sure I didn’t have the handbrake on for a week! Was pressing the p button think on g that was it. 😂🙈 thanks everyone

Nicolat

RMS Member
Drives
BMWI3
@Nicolat Good luck with it! I love mine. What colour is yours and are you in Belfast?
Thanks so much. I do love it. I live in ballymena and work in Belfast. - mine is white. I see a blue on one the way to work. What colour is yours? It’s really funny people come and talk to me about it all the time. I haven’t a clue about it lol.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
Mine is orange and black. They are rare enough on the roads, I get quite a few people asking about it as well.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
How are you all finding the I3 ride? I keep hearing mixed reviews about how crashy it is?

Considering going for a 94ah Rex in around 2016/17

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
It can be a bit harsh but to be honest I don't really mind for all the miles I do. When I am doing longer miles it's usually to Dublin so motorway all the way. Heading to Donegal tomorrow - might be a different story!

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
It can be a bit harsh but to be honest I don't really mind for all the miles I do. When I am doing longer miles it's usually to Dublin so motorway all the way. Heading to Donegal tomorrow - might be a different story!

Is the buffeting as bad as made out on the motorway? (I have owned a few smart cars so well used to it)

Do they sit happily enough at 70/80mph too?

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
70/80 is grand, I've not pushed it much further as I guess I don't see it as a fast drive - more of a relaxing chilled drive.

I've not noticed the buffering that much, certainly not to make me worried.

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
I've had smarts in the past, so know where youre coming from - theyre incredibly light at just over 1000kg for the bev 60ah, so would be prone to getting caught in a gust like the smart - since lowering and spacing mine, the difference is night and day however, it feels far more planted than it did oe. There is a lot of talk that they fair far better in gusts on Continentals than they do on Bridgestones, but i've no experience to verify this. If you found the smart manageable in a gust, this will be a breeze for you. 70*mph* *asterisk for suggestiveness, is very much manageable, and comfortable enough, and gets there handy enough, but then you're missing the sweet spot in these. Ive taken to using the speed limiter given its penchant for going over it, without being audibly more noticeable, to keep my books clean. I'd be reluctant to go back to my old M3 now. Great wee cars

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
I covered about 850 miles between Friday and yesterday - cost was £50! Free charge points at Moneygall - 350kw/h ones, shame my car can't take that speed. Yes my journey was longer but to be honest I would have been stopping for an hour or so anyway to get a bite to eat and in that time I just about got a full charge. Brilliant.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Just popped in to Bavarian for a nosey half an hour ago. They’ve a weird purple/blue one i3s. Couldn’t find a salesman …guess I wasn’t in my best clobber 😂

davyk31

RMS Regular
I was very tempted by an i3S but just couldn’t get past how impractical they are especially the rear doors and rather small for the occasional family use. Go great and look great but in the end the ID.3 was the right choice for me.