BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I love the look of these, near gave myself whiplash heading past DSC cars in Downpatrick yesterday as they have one, LBB as well! They just look so squat with those arches.

He has had some serious cars the past while he has an F10 M5 sitting there too, he lives just up the road from me so when he is taking one of the cars out a run you usually hear him coming which is then a desperate rush to look out the window to see what it is lol

Nigelo

RMS Regular
He has had some serious cars the past while he has an F10 M5 sitting there too, he lives just up the road from me so when he is taking one of the cars out a run you usually hear him coming which is then a desperate rush to look out the window to see what it is lol

Haha, yeah, spotted the blue M5 as well..... had me thinking what an f10 m5 would have been, had BMW buffed out the arches a bit more....

Went to see a BMW e92 335d he had years ago.... met it heading the other way doing a wee jump over a bumpy bit of road and a bit of a scuff, decided just to browse his other stock instead...lol

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
OP
m5lvyn
Drives
GT4
Drooled over this in the showroom. Health to drive.

After doing the M day at brandhatch and driving all pretty hard back to back I came home thinking M2 is the best M car I’d ever driving.

I think of it like a e36 feel with e46 power (and some lol) feels almost old school.

Hope to see you about comber!!

Totally agree, its an almost back t basics approach but still all the important modern bits inside. The more time I spend in it the more I'm loving it! Im still about comber a decent amount so no doubt you'll spy me lol

looked at this last night on the phone and didnt think much of it but looking at it now on the PC its a completely different looking animal!

this pic is brilliant also imo
DSC00096 by Mel, on Flickr

It looks very different in person as well, the proportions and the flared arched really catch your eye with the light hitting them.

In my opinion they seem a little tame looking compared to the M4 and the seats shockingly, from your photos look to be the same as my M Sport ones but with coloured stitching, having said that it is still a stunning machine and I’m sure a joy to drive. Health to drive my friend (y)

I dunno man but I understand your point, the M4 is very aggressive with its styling but the M2 up close looks incredibly 'muscly'. The seats, yes they're not quite as sexy ad the f8x's. Having said that they're more beefed up than the regular sport ones and the blue stitching really adds to them, also very very comfortable and better suited to daily use. I researched into buying m4 seats and fitting them before buying as that was a big worry but I'm not sure now I'll bother, they are lovely and work well with the alcantara door cards. The M4 seats were a constant worry about damaging getting in and out plus the seating position didn't help my back no matter what position I tried lol.

The only M car that really interests me these days, absolutely beautiful in Long Beach Blue, perfect colour.

For me, I'd go manual and fire a set of M Performance seats in, but other than that they are perfect. The small size, fat arches etc just remind me of the E30 M3.

Congrats, and enjoy!

Thank you :grinning:, if it was to be a weekend toy I too would have gone for the manual box as it gets rave reviews however the convenience of the dct is a no brainer. As I mentioned before there, I'm still half tempted to get a set of M4 seats and a retrim to match the stitching down the line.. we'll see.

I think I saw a video that said the M2 valves are constantly open when you switch off the TC?

The values are open in sport and sport + mode except for when in high gears cruising. The track mode button turns it off as well but leaves the car in full attack mode lol

Driving around in sport seems to be the out of the box winner so far..

I love the look of these, near gave myself whiplash heading past DSC cars in Downpatrick yesterday as they have one, LBB as well! They just look so squat with those arches.

If I didn't need a bit more rear leg room I'd be super-keen on one, interesting that even though the wheelbase is shorter, its not as snappy at the rear (according the t'net)

Sweet purchase!

Cheers Nige!

I saw that one advertised as well, think its up for big money though, which hopefully is a good sign of strong values on these.. 8o|

Who needs rear legroom anyway!!! :joy:

They remind me alot of the 1M which for me is just awesome.

Enjoy.

Agreed! Love them as well. thanks (y)

It's hard to like you sometimes :p:p
Congratulations, looks fantastic (y) Great write up on the M4 too.

:joy::joy: come back to the dark side!! Cheers Deez

Great size of car in this mordern age of massive machines. Love it health to enjoy.

100% :cool: bigger is not better lol

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Haha, yeah, spotted the blue M5 as well..... had me thinking what an f10 m5 would have been, had BMW buffed out the arches a bit more....

Went to see a BMW e92 335d he had years ago.... met it heading the other way doing a wee jump over a bumpy bit of road and a bit of a scuff, decided just to browse his other stock instead...lol

Hopefully it was someone who had bought it and not the dealer behind the wheel lol

Big Jon

RMS Regular
Drives
G87 M2
Lovely car! I looked at this when I was in Bavarian a couple of weeks ago and was offered a good deal on a mineral grey one in Country Garage. I was seriously tempted but ultimately I need something a wee bit bigger.
Still not sure I’ve done the right thing turning down the M2 but hard to justify to the financial committee why I’d be moving to something less practical.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
Not sure how I missed this. Lovely Mel. Superb colour. It’s noce changing from white to something else isn’t it!!

Another friend just changed from an M4 to an M2. Some of the deals on the M2s are amazing. Love the alcantara and the stitching. Looks class mate.

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
OP
m5lvyn
Drives
GT4
I had thought about another one but Tara still casts up how the E46 nearly ruined our marriage so not prepared to take the risk :p

Ha how is that even possible!!! You need to trade her in more like :p

Lovely car! I looked at this when I was in Bavarian a couple of weeks ago and was offered a good deal on a mineral grey one in Country Garage. I was seriously tempted but ultimately I need something a wee bit bigger.
Still not sure I’ve done the right thing turning down the M2 but hard to justify to the financial committee why I’d be moving to something less practical.

True, the m3/4 is much practical/better for a family wagon. (y)

Not sure how I missed this. Lovely Mel. Superb colour. It’s noce changing from white to something else isn’t it!!

Another friend just changed from an M4 to an M2. Some of the deals on the M2s are amazing. Love the alcantara and the stitching. Looks class mate.

Cheers Warren, yup indeed :cool:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I love the look of these, so beefy with those arches and that’s a beautiful colour. Htd Melvyn

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
OP
m5lvyn
Drives
GT4
A few small updates on the M2 worth posting about happened at the weekend there. I had changed out the nice new 19" 437 wheels for my winter setup (which luckily was the same size from the m4) for the 'beast from the east'.

I won't post a snap of these fitted without inducing the usual 220d comments :p but they of course served a purpose well and made me appreciate how nice the original wheels are.

Whilst these were off I took the opportunity to order up 10mm spacers front and rear to slightly beef out the stance. As stock the wheels sit nicely but reading online 10mm seems to be the sweet spot to push them out enough without risking any rubbing issues. I got a set of black 10mm spacers from Chris at CM Wheels as usual with black extended bolts and locks and fitted them when switching out the winters.

IMG_2003 by Mel, on Flickr

Since the wheels were off I gave them a coating of Gtecniq's C5 wheel armour to help protect over the remainder of the 'winter' weather.

Cleaned first with Imperial Auto Finesse:

IMG_2017 by Mel, on Flickr

Wiped down with panel wipe to prepare them for C5:

IMG_2019 by Mel, on Flickr

Then a nice coat of C5 worked in:

IMG_2020 by Mel, on Flickr

Some wheel slick frugally applied and that was that:

IMG_2022 by Mel, on Flickr

IMG_2023 by Mel, on Flickr

Another small tweak was the number plate itself as I've a pet hate with drilled plates. Also there was a slight bend in the middle which didn't leave it sitting right either. A touch pedantic I know but I had another plate in the shed so a easy clean up job.

The old plate dealer spec:

IMG_2031 by Mel, on Flickr

Also the printing was a bit sketchy..

IMG_2038 by Mel, on Flickr

Removed and cleaned up the holder and wiped down with ipe to prepare for the stickies and tape for centre line:

IMG_2039 by Mel, on Flickr

Much cleaner:

IMG_2040 by Mel, on Flickr

IMG_2067 by Mel, on Flickr

Back to the spacers install.. Baring in mind these are with the winter wheels but more or less the same as the 19's to show the slight gap from the stock setup:

IMG_2035 by Mel, on Flickr

IMG_2036 by Mel, on Flickr

Excuse the brake disc rust from washing the car the evening before! The spacers were added with a splash of copper grease to keep them from sticking (I've had past woes of stuck wheels to the hubs):

IMG_2059 by Mel, on Flickr

IMG_2057 by Mel, on Flickr

All buttoned up, note the centre badge and m badge aligned correctly as well and the wheel locks to the bottom right of the stud pattern an old habit lol:

IMG_2060 by Mel, on Flickr

Here's how the stance is now, hard to properly show but its a small but noticeable increase I think. Maybe could have gone 12mm at the rear but we see how I get on with these for now:

IMG_2072 by Mel, on Flickr

Next up I purchased the DCT Carbon Interior Kit to add to the alcantara and carbon theme, being genuine M Performance parts the fitment and finish was as expected.

IMG_1998 by Mel, on Flickr

The dct gear surround was simple to pop out and replace with the alcantara version:

IMG_2042 by Mel, on Flickr

Used the pry tool to remove the M emblem:

IMG_2044 by Mel, on Flickr

Dct selector removed and replaced:

IMG_2048 by Mel, on Flickr

Quick check to make sure the electrical connectors were lined up ok:

IMG_2049 by Mel, on Flickr

The final product makes a nice difference and works well with the other bits that come standard:

IMG_2051 by Mel, on Flickr]

IMG_2052 by Mel, on Flickr

I ended up not fitting the handbrake handle as it might be a bit over kill and I'm not 100% sure it looks much nicer that the standard leather fitting. I'll keep it in the box for now..

IMG_2054 by Mel, on Flickr

Overview of the interior:

IMG_2511 by Mel, on Flickr

Lastly some pictures of my long beach blue beside my dad's Estoril blue 4 series to show the difference side by side:

IMG_2076 by Mel, on Flickr

IMG_2078 by Mel, on Flickr

Hard to photograph the colours individually but side by side you can see how different there really are!

Thats it for now (y)

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Looks fantastic. I was behind a black one of these a few weeks ago, the sound was just glorious.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
There's a blue M2 in DSC in Downpatrick. I don't know if it's the same blue but I nearly crashed looking at it.

Vw Nut001

RMS Regular
Drives
biTDI C7 A6
Absolute beast of a car I see a grey one brubbleing around belfast the odd time and when it passes I always find myself standing drueling watching it go by.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Now there's the exceptional attention to detail I was expecting, great touches as per usual dude:cool:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Lovely lovely example. I think the spacers are spot on and don't need anything further, esp for fear of bashing the arches some day. Personally i would change the handbrake handle as everything else is carbon in that vicinity so will tie better.