BMW NBT Camera Retrofit

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Has anyone retrofitted a camera to a BMW with NBT nav? From what I can see there are a few options. The OEM pieces can be had for circa £350 and BMW even do a retrofit wiring harness. This would be my preferred option, but I can only find 1 mention of it being done in an F25 LCi and the guy said the connections were different to an F30 etc, but didn’t actually state where the wires should go.

There are a couple of other options too, which both work the same sort of way it would seem. Neither require coding and are plug and play. I’m not usually a fan of non OEM kits, but they appear to be less hassle and also give an oem appearance on the screen;

@AlpineF30 , any insight!?

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Simple enough retrofit to do so long as it has the camera module with it which the ones above do.

Wouldn’t worry about an non OEM solution as they seem to be decent quality.

The non OEM ones use a piggy back system where it connects into the head unit by removing the existing connector from the headunit and plugging it into the harness for the camera then this connects into the head unit.

The LCI unit on the F25 may be a different head unit to what was fitted to the F30 as the F30 went through a few different revisions of pro nav and may have been a CIC, NBT or NBT Evo.

Just make sure you get the right kit for your car/head unit and it should be fine.

Don’t worry about coding if its not plug and play I will enable the reverse camera option for you its literally a 30 second job.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Tempted by the Motormax one, but if I could find out for definite about the OEM connections I’d probably just go for it. I’ll keep looking for a bit.

Aye so for the aftermarket one, I shouldn’t really need instructions, just a case of taking the nav drive out and putting the wiring loom behind, then connecting it to the module?

J55NI

RMS Regular
what car is this for @Lyons ? Always wondered myself was it expensive to retrofit to the X5 and 4 series etc. My F30 has it from factory but some replacements I have seen for it haven't got it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
F25.

Upon advice from AlpineF30 I think I’m going to go for the £199 one. Although it’s aftermarket, it needs coded so hopefully means it doesn’t override the idrive but instead integrates with it.

J55NI

RMS Regular
F25.

Upon advice from AlpineF30 I think I’m going to go for the £199 one. Although it’s aftermarket, it needs coded so hopefully means it doesn’t override the idrive but instead integrates with it.

Let us know how you get on with it.